Angel ID

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this little guy unmarked at a trashier LFS around and can't ID it.. any help is appreciated
d3c7bb0833895bc7416614e5f25f4566.jpg
c55361a60194a079fe96edae40f83a75.jpg
330a7ce01cebe61f5426d6a321b96d25.jpg

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lemonpeel. They all have blue markings on their gills and around the eyes. Did they say where the fish came from?

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much were they selling it for? If it is a narcosis you're lucky to find one at a LFS if not it's still something you almost never see

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very like a juvenile Caribbean rock beauty angel. They're gorgeous, but don't stay small, and can be very difficult to feed, as they seem to require some sponge in their diet. As adults, the black patch expands, and smothers the blue ring, while they gain red accents top and bottom, and blue eyes.

~Bruce

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very like a juvenile Caribbean rock beauty angel. They're gorgeous, but don't stay small, and can be very difficult to feed, as they seem to require some sponge in their diet. As adults, the black patch expands, and smothers the blue ring, while they gain red accents top and bottom, and blue eyes.

~Bruce

It is a juvenile rock beauty.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

I would listen to this man...he knows what he is talking about.

OP
OP
Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

Thank you very much!

OP
OP
Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to keep him mainly on frozen foods? I'd rather not have to deal with wasting money on sponges every few weeks.. For frozen, I currently own Limpets reef blend, PE mysis, medium sized krill, cyclops, and blood worms. I also do have the 'New Life Spectrum' marine pellet, as well as dried seaweed @Maritimer

OP
OP
Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much were they selling it for? If it is a narcosis you're lucky to find one at a LFS if not it's still something you almost never see

It wasn't marked at all... I asked an employee to check their order list for a name but they came up with nothing

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock Beauties are typically very difficult to keep in our home aquaria not to mention being not reef safe. I personally would pass even though this is a fish I would love to have.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to keep him mainly on frozen foods? I'd rather not have to deal with wasting money on sponges every few weeks.. For frozen, I currently own Limpets reef blend, PE mysis, medium sized krill, cyclops, and blood worms. I also do have the 'New Life Spectrum' marine pellet, as well as dried seaweed @Maritimer

Rock beauties have a well-deserved reputation for being difficult, and have been classed among those fish that should be left in the ocean by some authors. I've never attempted one, but if you decide to take up the challenge, I would use the various "Angel Formula" frozen foods (Ocean Nutrition makes one, as does Hikari - and others, I'm sure), which include sponge among the ingredients, as his primary diet. That means you'll need to have a steady source . . .

~Bruce

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back