Aquarium picking help!

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like many people here have many years of fresh water tanks under my belt. When I moved into my new house I sold off all my tanks and decided to wait to set anything else up. A couple of weeks ago my 3 year old seen a buddies tank and fell in love with it ! I told my wife " it's time to get another tank but let's do saltwater this time.

After hours of research I have completely confused myself lol. I was fist looking at a biobude but quickly decided it was too small and the mechanic in me would decide to upgrade to something better. Money is not a huge problem but I also don't want to drop 5k into a setup that I have no idea about! I think I have narrowed it down to 3 different tanks but I need your input on which one would suit my needs and be the best investment. All of my options have some sort of bad reviews that's where I'm getting confused.

My goal is to start it out as a fish tank and add a few easy reefs. I know I will get more into reefs once I learn more but that's not my main attraction.

1) JBJ 45 or 65 AIO. I really like the idea of an AIO but don't want to outgrow also a little worried about the MDF stand.

2) CADlights 70g artisan. Love the look and it comes with a hardwood stand.

3 Sca 66 or 90g. These look to be decent kits and you can upgrade to a hardwood stand.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote #3 and if u r a mechanic who likes to DIY, then stay away from AIO's

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions for you.
*Have you researched the fish you intend to keep and the size aquarium they need? Example, if you like tangs, then those tanks wont be big enough. You will have to upgrade or rehome a bigger fish.
*Do you have space limitations as to where your tank is going?

I know starting out is tough and requires a lot of hard choices to be made. Many save a lot of money though if they look at the long term first instead of wishing they went bigger from the start and having to rebuy equipment

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote #3 and if u r a mechanic who likes to DIY, then stay away from AIO's

So that is normally at the top of my list. I have been in contact with SCA and they are waiting on a new shipment of hardwood stand. Which is not a problem and gives me time to continue researching.

The reason I have added the AIO is because I'm the type of DIYer that will go way too far into a hobby or project. I like the fact with a AIO that I can purchase what I need and even do small upgrades but enjoy the tank rather then obsess over it.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions for you.
*Have you researched the fish you intend to keep and the size aquarium they need? Example, if you like tangs, then those tanks wont be big enough. You will have to upgrade or rehome a bigger fish.
*Do you have space limitations as to where your tank is going?

I know starting out is tough and requires a lot of hard choices to be made. Many save a lot of money though if they look at the long term first instead of wishing they went bigger from the start and having to rebuy equipment

I have done a decent amount of research on the fish and think a 50-70 gallon will meet my needs. I'm still not 100% sure what all will be in the tank but I know that my daughter will want some clowns (she loves nemo lol).

Luckily my house has an large open living room/kitchen design so there is really no limitations to tank size ( within moderation). My old man told me when I was young "Buy once, cry once", so I totally get what you are saying. That is why I ditched the Biocube 32 idea and decided on something bigger.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that is normally at the top of my list. I have been in contact with SCA and they are waiting on a new shipment of hardwood stand. Which is not a problem and gives me time to continue researching.

The reason I have added the AIO is because I'm the type of DIYer that will go way too far into a hobby or project. I like the fact with a AIO that I can purchase what I need and even do small upgrades but enjoy the tank rather then obsess over it.
Your in the wrong hobby then
Lol.

You just get so much more. I am re conditioning a 150 gallon acrylic right now. Lots of DIY but I paid 150 for the tank. But that may be to far for most. Loli started with a 40 breeder DIY with a 20 long sump. Cheap (dollar gallon sale), big enough to get going. Then decide if you like it. First 6 months is the mark you are trying to make it past. Start smallish. Always room to go bigger latter.

Were are you located? Local club would be a good resource.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about a complete DIY tank or just stand?
Just buying a tank from the petco dollar a gallon sale or a bigger freshwater tank. Drilling an over flow and building a stand to fit the sump will get you far. That's really the only difference for saltwater setup wise. is the overflow. At the most basic level of course.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your description made it easy to choose #3

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I have added the AIO is because I'm the type of DIYer that will go way too far into a hobby or project.
in that case u should start something moderate size so u can tinker with it to learn the hobby to figure out how to customize/improve things in ur next tank. bc I foresee u quickly wanting to upgrade... I started w a 60, now on a 93 cube and would love to upgrade but alas can't obtain the wife approval...:oops:

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in the wrong hobby then
Lol.

You just get so much more. I am re conditioning a 150 gallon acrylic right now. Lots of DIY but I paid 150 for the tank. But that may be to far for most. Loli started with a 40 breeder DIY with a 20 long sump. Cheap (dollar gallon sale), big enough to get going. Then decide if you like it. First 6 months is the mark you are trying to make it past. Start smallish. Always room to go bigger latter.

Were are you located? Local club would be a good resource.

Ive just learned over the years to not go crazy with hobbies and just enjoy them. I have a problem with obsessing too much lol.

I know this will be something fun and I miss having a fish tank to look at. I think 50-70 gallon is a good starting point, Its something that can be in the front room for now and be moved into the office if I decide to go bigger.

Im located in by LA

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good luck ,go as big as can ,reef ready tank,largest tank you can start with ,no5' 0r7' tanks,large sump ,try used poss with lots of equip with;)

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive just learned over the years to not go crazy with hobbies and just enjoy them. I have a problem with obsessing too much lol.

I know this will be something fun and I miss having a fish tank to look at. I think 50-70 gallon is a good starting point, Its something that can be in the front room for now and be moved into the office if I decide to go bigger.

Im located in by LA
Now LA has a great reefing community! Bet you can find some great local guys to point you in the right direction!

I am in santa cruz otherwise I'd offer. Lol

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that case u should start something moderate size so u can tinker with it to learn the hobby to figure out how to customize/improve things in ur next tank. bc I foresee u quickly wanting to upgrade... I started w a 60, now on a 93 cube and would love to upgrade but alas can't obtain the wife approval...:oops:

That was kinda my thinking with a 50-70 gallon tank. Its big enough to learn on and also small enough to go into my office if I want to upgrade down the road.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was kinda my thinking with a 50-70 gallon tank. Its big enough to learn on and also small enough to go into my office if I want to upgrade down the road.
Would recommend a 4 foot 75. More room to aquascape, more swimming room, and more room under the cabinet

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
..possible :) ...;)LOL
WP_20200228_16_37_23_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now LA has a great reefing community! Bet you can find some great local guys to point you in the right direction!

I am in santa cruz otherwise I'd offer. Lol

Would recommend a 4 foot 75. More room to aquascape, more swimming room, and more room under the cabinet
Im actually in Lancaster/Palmdale area but LA is just easier to say to most people lol. Im going to check out some LFS this weekend to things out.
Is there a 75 gallon that you would recommend ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back