Bubba's SPS Journey

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if JF still has some spots he can go coral shopping/hunting? I think he used to mainly go to Indonesia?

I'm sure some of the "big" guys still have "new" corals in growout, but I wonder if the bans stick how long until new releases aren't happening. Or will the importers/exporters just find new gems from Australia and other areas?

AvaS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bubba, Sunday driver looks super nice and healthy! I am not sure if this has already been answered but What’s your regime when recieving new frags? Do you put them off of their original plug into a new plug/ tile or rock? Or if it has growth on the plug you just dip it?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd also be interested in how you add on a new frag tank to the system. Do you have a monster sump somewhere that they all drain into? I'm trying to figure out how to potentially combine my 2 tanks into one system. Thanks.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if JF still has some spots he can go coral shopping/hunting? I think he used to mainly go to Indonesia?

I'm sure some of the "big" guys still have "new" corals in growout, but I wonder if the bans stick how long until new releases aren't happening. Or will the importers/exporters just find new gems from Australia and other areas?
I know JF mentioned before that he will find something that he likes from frag swaps and take it home and start to grow it and I assume give it a name. Mike Biggar find the WD at a frag swap also. He said he was just a green coral when he first seen it.

Hey Bubba, Sunday driver looks super nice and healthy! I am not sure if this has already been answered but What’s your regime when recieving new frags? Do you put them off of their original plug into a new plug/ tile or rock? Or if it has growth on the plug you just dip it?
I first temp acclimate for about 30 minutes prepare my bayer dip (15ml to 1/2 cup tank water). I then just drop the frags into the dip for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes I take the frags out and put them in a separate bowl with clean tank water. Once they are in there I use a flashlight to inspect the coral for anything moving or bite marks. I change the plug on about 75% percent of the corals but sometimes I don't, it really depends on how encrusted the frag is. Usually if I don't swap the plug I cover a lot of the plug in glue where the coral is not growing when I mount it to the tile. Once I put the frags in the dip they never touch the water again from the bags they came from. I use a separate bowl to dump all that water into.

I actually got frags in this morning and you can see what I used to dip.
29D7F073-41F2-46AF-822D-47E6C6642C33.jpeg

I'd also be interested in how you add on a new frag tank to the system. Do you have a monster sump somewhere that they all drain into? I'm trying to figure out how to potentially combine my 2 tanks into one system. Thanks.
No big sump, just a 40 gallon breeder. The best way to make sure all the water fits in the sump is to make sure not much water drains from the tank when the pump turns off. I drill little holes just above the water line in the return pipe so it doesn't back siphon any water. Also make sure you are not pushing so much water from your return pump that it's several inches above your drains as it will have to drain that far down into your sump.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when it comes to dipping, make sure to dip from every single person you buy from. I don't care how trusted you think they are, dip your corals. I have bought from many different people and even the most trusted I have seen stuff I would not want in my tank. It doesn't always have to be an acro pest to become a pest you don't want. I will say it again trust NO ONE!

AvaS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the help and advice! Sorry if this is a noob question but when removing a frag from a plug do you just use bone cutters to cut as close to the base as possible? Or is there another method?
And where do I get Bayer dip?
And OOHHH new frags! Get anything good??
( I mean all ur frags are great so....)

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know JF mentioned before that he will find something that he likes from frag swaps and take it home and start to grow it and I assume give it a name. Mike Biggar find the WD at a frag swap also. He said he was just a green coral when he first seen it.

I first temp acclimate for about 30 minutes prepare my bayer dip (15ml to 1/2 cup tank water). I then just drop the frags into the dip for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes I take the frags out and put them in a separate bowl with clean tank water. Once they are in there I use a flashlight to inspect the coral for anything moving or bite marks. I change the plug on about 75% percent of the corals but sometimes I don't, it really depends on how encrusted the frag is. Usually if I don't swap the plug I cover a lot of the plug in glue where the coral is not growing when I mount it to the tile. Once I put the frags in the dip they never touch the water again from the bags they came from. I use a separate bowl to dump all that water into.

No big sump, just a 40 gallon breeder. The best way to make sure all the water fits in the sump is to make sure not much water drains from the tank when the pump turns off. I drill little holes just above the water line in the return pipe so it doesn't back siphon any water. Also make sure you are not pushing so much water from your return pump that it's several inches above your drains as it will have to drain that far down into your sump.

That is the exact process I used on the frags I got from you last month [emoji106] Bayer does a good job.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

And just one return pump feeding all the tanks? Sorry for the questions. I've got my main tank against a wall, and behind that wall is the unfinished part of our basement. I've been wanting to put a bigger rubbermaid stock tank type sump in the unfinished part because it's annoying getting under the stand, and then I could have bigger ATO, bigger Fuge, more water volume, and remove some of the noise from the stand. And figured I could maybe move my other tank in there as a frag tank. I'm just not real sure about the returns running through the wall and into a stock tank. Just trying to get ideas so I appreciate the input.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AvaS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the help and advice! Sorry if this is a noob question but when removing a frag from a plug do you just use bone cutters to cut as close to the base as possible? Or is there another method?
@bubbaque

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly use the cutters and pop the glue the glue the coral is mounted in off the plug. There is a tiny bit of glue left but it's just the way I do it.

You can get Bayer at Lowe's or Ace hardware. I don't believe Home depot carries it but I could be wrong.

I received Joe the coral, BC teen wolf, Greg Hiller's Aqua Delight and a Sunset milli.

And just one return pump feeding all the tanks? Sorry for the questions. I've got my main tank against a wall, and behind that wall is the unfinished part of our basement. I've been wanting to put a bigger rubbermaid stock tank type sump in the unfinished part because it's annoying getting under the stand, and then I could have bigger ATO, bigger Fuge, more water volume, and remove some of the noise from the stand. And figured I could maybe move my other tank in there as a frag tank. I'm just not real sure about the returns running through the wall and into a stock tank. Just trying to get ideas so I appreciate the input.
I don't mind the questions. Instead of trying to explain how it's all plumbed as it gets kind of crazy, I will make a video tomorrow for you and PM you it.

15ml per 1/2cup of tank water.
This ratio is the ticket! I am not sure how many have seen the article Boomcorals did a while ago about different strengths of Bayer and their affects on AEFW but anything less than 15ml per 1/2 cup doesn't kill them. The old standard of 10ml per 1/2 cup just stuns them but once they go back in the tank they start moving again.

Here is the article for those interested
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/bayer-vs-the-dreaded-acropora-eating-flatworm.359/

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you don't remove from the plugs have you ever had a issue with them absorbing the bayer and getting in tank?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of. They probably don’t absorb much as they have been sitting in the previous persons tank probably getting saturated with saltwater. I do the rinse in plain tank water after the dip and hope it gets everything off.

AvaS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pickups! Can’t wait for pics!
So the regime basically is:
Temp aclimate in bags for 30 minutes
Then bayer dip from Lowe’s or ace hardware in the ratio 15 ml to 1/2 cup of tank water.
Pour the bag water the frags came in into a separate container.
Put the frags into the bayer for 10 minutes .
Rinse them in another container of clean tank water to try to remove all of the bayer
Most of the time, use bone cutters to remove the frag attached to the frag glue from the plug and put it on a new plug/ tile
Use a flashlight to inspect frags for ANY pests ( don’t trust ANY vendor!)
If the frag is clean you place it and watch it get settled in and start to grow

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back