Bubba's SPS Journey

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the challenge to try and grow and color up sps. As any hobby, if you are not getting new equipment or trying to challenge yourself, it gets boring. Buying coral keeps it interesting and exciting to me. I actually worry about the day when my system is full of colonies and there is nothing to do but watch. It's a nice achievement but what's the fun in that when it gets to that stage?

The display is really just a growout situation with corals at different levels. My frag tanks are the same thing but grown at the same height. I enjoy my frag tanks more than I do my display. Corals always look the best when viewed top down and my frag tanks give me that opportunity. I love my PC superman colony but it is starting to grow up at an angle, so now I can only view the top of it when I stand on a chair. If it was in my frag tank, I'd enjoy it more. I had a friend over this past weekend and I had him standing on chairs poking his head in my canopy just so he can get the best view, lol. Sorry about that Andrew.

I agree, I'm forever away from my tank being full/mature with nothing left to do but I do wonder when that time comes, if it does, what will I do then? I suspect that's why many keep upgrading/changing setups to some extent, to avoid the boredom of their achievement. :)

I have a canopy on my tank for the first time ever with this setup and I have to say, getting a top down view is nigh to impossible which is a real bummer. I think in an ideal world I'd have my display with a mature/full blown reef and then have a frag/grow out tank with some duplicates of sps in the display along with some others, but we'll see if I ever get there. On the other hand, I feel it's almost wasteful to keep sps colonies in a growout tank only...but I'm only 50/50 on that sentiment. Which means the other 50% thinks it's a great idea. :) I'd like to upgrade my current 25g frag tank to something larger and shallow down the road to accomodate those growout/overflow sps. Always got to have a plan/change in mind, right? :)

Are your growout/frag tanks a different system or plumbed all into the display? I'm sure you covered this somewhere already that I missed...

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the challenge to try and grow and color up sps. As any hobby, if you are not getting new equipment or trying to challenge yourself, it gets boring. Buying coral keeps it interesting and exciting to me. I actually worry about the day when my system is full of colonies and there is nothing to do but watch. It's a nice achievement but what's the fun in that when it gets to that stage?

+1. If the wife would go for it I’d just have a large frag tank and no display. I’d rather view acros from the top down all day on frag racks than look at a display from the front. Sad but true.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. If the wife would go for it I’d just have a large frag tank and no display. I’d rather view acros from the top down all day on frag racks than look at a display from the front. Sad but true.
Do both! I'll back you up with the wife bud.

Best thing I ever did was add a frag tank to my display. It's enjoyable to look down at small frags growing out and see color development and growth. The ones that look good from the front I'll put them in the display to enjoy there.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I'm forever away from my tank being full/mature with nothing left to do but I do wonder when that time comes, if it does, what will I do then? I suspect that's why many keep upgrading/changing setups to some extent, to avoid the boredom of their achievement. :)

I have a canopy on my tank for the first time ever with this setup and I have to say, getting a top down view is nigh to impossible which is a real bummer. I think in an ideal world I'd have my display with a mature/full blown reef and then have a frag/grow out tank with some duplicates of sps in the display along with some others, but we'll see if I ever get there. On the other hand, I feel it's almost wasteful to keep sps colonies in a growout tank only...but I'm only 50/50 on that sentiment. Which means the other 50% thinks it's a great idea. :) I'd like to upgrade my current 25g frag tank to something larger and shallow down the road to accomodate those growout/overflow sps. Always got to have a plan/change in mind, right? :)

Are your growout/frag tanks a different system or plumbed all into the display? I'm sure you covered this somewhere already that I missed...
I am sure I'll never let the ones in my frag tank get to full sized colonies. I grow them on 4" tiles and once they grow past that I'm sure I'll cut them. They are all plumbed together. When I setup the newest frag tank, for the first 3 weeks it acted like it was a new tank. It went through a week of dino and then transitioned to growing hair algae. I went and bought 6 turbo snails and now it looks good as new. Even being all the same water, it acted very different.

Agreed. A display is more for something to look nice because it's in the house. If my wife didn't want a display it would be all tubs in the garage.

Last edited:

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure I'll never let the ones in my frag tank get to full sized colonies. I grow them on 4" tiles and once they grow past that I'm sure I'll cut them. They are all plumbed together. When I setup the newest frag tank, for the first 3 weeks it acted like it was a new tank. It went through a week of dino and then transitioned to growing hair algae. I went and bought 6 turbo snails and now it looks good as new. Even being all the same water, it acted very different.

Agreed. A display is more for something to look nice because it's in the house. If my wife didn't want a display it would be all tubs in the garage.

Are none of you fish people [emoji38] personally for me, and this is being in the hobby a while, coral tanks are nothing without some cool fish. Yes the “rainbow” is great to look at, but you need some activity you can see from your couch lol.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are none of you fish people [emoji38] personally for me, and this is being in the hobby a while, coral tanks are nothing without some cool fish. Yes the “rainbow” is great to look at, but you need some activity you can see from your couch lol.
I'm a big fan of my fish in my display honestly... But maybe because they are mostly angels.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my fish. It's fun feeding them and watching them go about their business. They add a lot of movement to my tank that's desperately needed. Fish don't excite me though. It's the challenge of sps that does it for me.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my fish. It's fun feeding them and watching them go about their business. They add a lot of movement to my tank that's desperately needed. Fish don't excite me though. It's the challenge of sps that does it for me.

While am on same boat with you on acros , I do respectfully disagree that keeping certain fishes is less challenging than acros .
I don't recall many people who have kept schools of ventralis , purple queens and loris or like pairing of copperband butterflies or angel dominated tanks like John Coppolino ..

Each comes with its own challenge . Question is what excites you the most :)

I would gladly reduce my craze for acros if I can maintain a tank of ventralis , purple queens and loris with harems of macrophryngdons , Anampses and Halichoeres wrasses .

Regards,
Abhishek

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty excited for these! I requested a couple I already have as I think my tank is doing better now than when I first got them. Like the Houdini I have had over a year and it's still a 1/2" nub.
Here is the list for anyone that had a hard time reading the bags.
Firecracker table
Snipers blue
Red devil nasuta
Rainbow Brite
Hyperberry
Rainbow loom
Aussie Echinata
Angelica
Cemetery party
Space Laser
Bellicose
Deep purple lokani
Gilligan
Kenberry
Flowers grow out my grave
Pink cigarette (what a name)
Daisy pusher
Houdini

Nice score. I’m excited to see your Hyperberry grow out and compare it to your Kenberry. I used to have the Hyperberry before my house fire....and it was dope. Now I have the Kenberry but it’s a pretty small nub.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice score. I’m excited to see your Hyperberry grow out and compare it to your Kenberry. I used to have the Hyperberry before my house fire....and it was dope. Now I have the Kenberry but it’s a pretty small nub.
Thanks! The Hyperberry does have this glow to it, even after shipping. My Kenberry is pretty small also but looks nicely colored. I'll take pics of most of the corals tomorrow and share.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh I would absolutely have fish in a large frag tank! They’re essential

dson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba has amazing corals and I'm trying to replicate his way of doing things. I (Andrew) was there last weekend and yes i had to stand on a chair to look at his corals (doesn't help that I'm short) in the main display and what an amazing view it was. I never really experienced that view before seeing as i have a tall stand and tank as well. I picked up a few corals and they are in the tank now doing well and hopefully one day i will have a tank thread. I have learned a lot from him so far and things are starting to look better in my tank. I would say that 75% of the corals in my tank are from Bubba and i have nothing but praises for him and the corals. I also agree that in the near future his is going to need more frag tanks though. He needs to start growing more corals for me.......

eatmoreyeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome haul Bubba. I thought your corals got delayed like mine on Monday and weren't arriving till next week?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome haul Bubba. I thought your corals got delayed like mine on Monday and weren't arriving till next week?
He originally had me scheduled for Tuesday but I wrote him Sunday and asked about my shipping day, thinking it was Monday. He said he would do it Monday instead of the original scheduled Tuesday, since he thought he made the mistake (which was my mistake). When Monday got canceled he said I was already on his calendar for Tuesday, so he shipped them. I hope that makes sense.

eatmoreyeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally made sense.

Adam actually sent me an email this evening saying he can ship my contest frag and Battlebox out tomorrow.

You've certainly have piqued my interest regarding the Space Laser. I may see if Adam has another to add to my shipment. Do you know of any other photos and or information besides the one posted in the Battlebox forum?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally made sense.

Adam actually sent me an email this evening saying he can ship my contest frag and Battlebox out tomorrow.

You've certainly have piqued my interest regarding the Space Laser. I may see if Adam has another to add to my shipment. Do you know of any other photos and or information besides the one posted in the Battlebox forum?
That is the only picture I've ever seen of it. I'll take one tomorrow and share it with you.

Back