carpet anenome info, Please!

dfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I went to get my puppies nails cut at the local pet store and saw a large carpet anenome for sale for only $40. I always liked these things but they are always so expensive. Needless to say I bought it and threw it in my 55g FOWLR tank. Im not quite sure what I got myself into. I broke the cardinal rule of saltwater livestock and did no background check on these things. If anyone can help with any info that would be great. Stuff I was looking for: Lighting, food, will it kill my fish, anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check here Wetwebmedia.com

Yes they will kill some of your fish in time most likely, lighting for most carpets is med to high T-5, MH lighting to get the best health from them. They can die rapidly and foul your tank so keep an eye on it. One of the first signs of stress is a gaping mouth along with color loss and shrinkage.....There is alot more but I have only basic knowledge of carpets...

What do you have for lighting, filtration etc...?

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of carpet S.Gigantea or Haddoni? Pic? Also you will need high light to keep it happy.

OP
OP
D

dfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 t-5s and a cascade HOB filter. Not sure what kind it is but I will get a pic tonight.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that is enough light for a carpet unless it parks itself on top of a rock near the surface which is doubtful since they like to cover their foot in sand. What about a skimmer? They like pristine water conditions.

OP
OP
D

dfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my water was fine until he got sucked onto one of the powerheads, now my water is all cloudy. He wont attach to anything. Do they need low flow in the tank?

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oye...sounds like you bit off more than you can chew. Carpets have a terribly painful sting, and they are notorious for travelling around your tank trying to find a place to live, stinging coral and fish along the way. And if he was sucked into a powerhead and got chopped, you have a bigger problem of toxins in your water column now.

My recommendation...take him back to the LFS and start running carbon to clear up anything he may have released into the water.

bluebeltreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes, that is one of my biggest fears, and anemone getting chopped up. like others said, be prepared to run carbon and do some water changes. i would keep an eye on everything in the tank and take notice if they start acting differently.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpets dont usually move. They find a spot and usually stay there. If they move they are not happy.
BTA's on the otherhand move at the drop of a dime. Carpets stay low in the tank, But like alot of light. 4-t5's are not going to cut it. Sorry to hear about the powerhead incident. I would do like stated waterchanges and carbon.

amay121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to taking the nem out and doing water change/using carbon. If you want something similar, get a toadstool. :)

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to taking the nem out and doing water change/using carbon. If you want something similar, get a toadstool. :)
Lol, I never heard anyone say a toadstool is similar to an anemone.

I am curious as to how this carpet anemone is doing though.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back