Current USA vs Viaparpesctra

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought two lights on Amazon which were the Lominie Picie 30’s. Well... those lights sucked. One was broken and they didn’t fit on rimmed aquarium so I am returning them today and getting some new lights. I was looking at getting the Viparspectra or the Current USA Marine IC. I wanted to know if anyone had a preference for a 20 gallon long or if there is any other light I should be on the lookout for in a rimmed aquarium. Only thing is they have to be available on Amazon because that’s where I’m getting the credit at.

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W 300W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS

Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED Reef Aquarium Light | 24 Hour IR Lighting & Wave Pump Control | Adjustable Color Spectrum

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the big question is what do you want to put under those lights? I have the Current USA lights on my 8G nano tank, but I have two of the 18-24” strips and even that is barely enough light for corals. I don’t think a single strip on a 20G tank would be nearly enough if you want a reef tank. If you are going fish only then I think that would be fine.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The viparspectra will be a lot more powerful but more basic on control. The current will be the opposite. Weaker, but better control ability. What is more important to you?

The current will also have tank rim mounts. The viparspectra will need to be hung

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the big question is what do you want to put under those lights? I have the Current USA lights on my 8G nano tank, but I have two of the 18-24” strips and even that is barely enough light for corals. I don’t think a single strip on a 20G tank would be nearly enough if you want a reef tank. If you are going fish only then I think that would be fine.
I planned on keeping beginner corals. So things like LPS and Euphyillia. Maybe down the line I would venture into SPS.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The viparspectra will be a lot more powerful but more basic on control. The current will be the opposite. Weaker, but better control ability. What is more important to you?

The current will also have tank rim mounts. The viparspectra will need to be hung
The thing is I was thinking about going with the current marine but after hearing about how weak they are in starting to lean away from them, and after getting burned with these last lights I’m getting more picky in what I want.

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both,back when I first started the hobby I had the current USA on a 20 gallon tall they are nice lights but any coral that I put in that tank never opened. Upgraded to a 125 with the viparspectra 165w get nice coral growth

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both,back when I first started the hobby I had the current USA on a 20 gallon tall they are nice lights but any coral that I put in that tank never opened. Upgraded to a 125 with the viparspectra 165w get nice coral growth
How’s the hanging kit on the vipaspectra. I’ve never mounted a light to my ceiling and my tank is in the basement so the ceiling is weird. Is it pretty long?

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put some hooks on to the ceiling on a beam and hung them from there https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-30-lb-White-Enamel-Swag-Hooks-2-Pack-50340/100115444 tank is in a basement ceilings are pretty low so I didn’t have to use a bar or anything.
9F22EE4E-F1CE-423A-916C-FA385647D7A0.jpeg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought two lights on Amazon which were the Lominie Picie 30’s. Well... those lights sucked. One was broken and they didn’t fit on rimmed aquarium so I am returning them today and getting some new lights. I was looking at getting the Viparspectra or the Current USA Marine IC. I wanted to know if anyone had a preference for a 20 gallon long or if there is any other light I should be on the lookout for in a rimmed aquarium. Only thing is they have to be available on Amazon because that’s where I’m getting the credit at.

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W 300W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS

Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED Reef Aquarium Light | 24 Hour IR Lighting & Wave Pump Control | Adjustable Color Spectrum

This states it will mount to a rimmed tank.

Recommended spread 24x24

Believe popbloom mounting arm fits rimmed tank
db4b5dd5-97ba-40dd-8764-73c2cc1b6db7.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Mount pic is NOT from the above ad but "should" be what that one has.
ALSO note this qualifier
Normally Popblooms have been daisy chain-able but went w/ this sort of "master/slave"
arrangement so need to order a different version which I'm not sure is through Amazon.
IF you just are going to use one then this model is fine but ...again..
2 SETS of this light can NOT be connected together. The lamp configuration is fixed.
NOTICE : This light system include: 1 smart controller, 1x end light. 2 sets of the system can NOT be connected together due to the end panel and the lack of rail kits.
Contact us for the version of more lights(1-12 panels) work together with 1 controller.

Each Light Panel
Lighting Area: 24” x 15”
Dimensions: 12” x 4.7” x 1.4”
LED Quantities: 40pcs High Penetration LED
Power consumption: 0.8KWH/day, Max 100 Wattage 30% higher energy efficiency compare with others
Gross Weight: 4lbs

FYI>>The Viparspectra is NOT 135W.. about 110 actual .
PopBloom is 100 real watts
Nicrew is 150 real watts.

Just as a minor point of comparison.

your 20 long is what dimensions?
12" wide?
30" wide is a bit of a poor fit for any ..well light falloff at the ends is more than usual.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going way outside the box TWO of these.
About a 12000k look (whiter than expected I guess)

But will give more even coverage ovr the tank
2 X 40W @ $40 each.

Normally small emitters (.5W) aren't anyone's go to lighting
Single one was tested at 70- 100 PAR @ 12"
So def. need 2
There are cheap timer/dimmers available for them.
And it has seperate small "actinic" and main 10000 white channel.

JUST for the look. His replacement watts is insanely low from what he had though.

Should have something now to ponder and discuss.

Reyco77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned on keeping beginner corals. So things like LPS and Euphyillia. Maybe down the line I would venture into SPS.
Think big. Almost Everybody starts thinking the are going to.have beginner corals, but the reallty that we are gonna have lps or try some easy and hard sps. With softies. I recommend you to buy a good skimmer, good lamps and good return pump. To avoid buying them again in the future. Dont have to be radions or kessils. So expensive in my opinion. Can be viparspectra, t5 or a mix of them. Even cheaper black box3s like phlizon mixed with ATI t5 bulbs will give u great results. The skimmer i recommend u is reef octupus. The last a lot and do awsome job.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back