Disappointed in EcoTech

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used Radion light. After struggling with the EcoSmart site for several hours trying to figure out how to add a device i have been forced to conclude that the light should be auto reconized and therefor have wasted my money on a bad light. It comes on and i can change intensity, but there is no way to program it or use it without manual intervention every day.

I know I am suffering buyers remorse, but I had expected a better product.

Oh! And that site of theirs is a total PIA!!!

Sorry, i just needed to rant/vent

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No help to you but I share the sentiment. I too was/am very disappointed with ecotech. Bought 2 new mp60qd's earlier this year. Never got them connected to app, mobius doesn't even see them. Ironically mobius has no issue connecting with my hydra64s. Smh. I gave up and just use them in reef Crest mode. Nice equipment, horrible software. For the price- this is unacceptable. (Open/willing/begging for help if anyone has advice with this issue. PLEASE!!)

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never had an issue with connecting, you need to be close as its bluetooth. Make sure the apps up to date, can you see anything in the app?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used Radion light. After struggling with the EcoSmart site for several hours trying to figure out how to add a device i have been forced to conclude that the light should be auto reconized and therefor have wasted my money on a bad light. It comes on and i can change intensity, but there is no way to program it or use it without manual intervention every day.

I know I am suffering buyers remorse, but I had expected a better product.

Oh! And that site of theirs is a total PIA!!!

Sorry, i just needed to rant/vent
Why are you trying to connect to their old outdated app? Did you try connecting the light to mobius?

All my ecotech components work flawlessly and with great connectivity.

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know anything about mobius! Will check it out!

Heck, the guy i bought it from said i needed MyAi...

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a PC version of mobius? This Radion gen?? Doesn't appear to be wifi, but usb

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is there a PC version of mobius? This Radion gen?? Doesn't appear to be wifi, but usb
Post some pictures of the light, top and bottom so we can see what light you have and help from there.

Yea their web app via usb is awful but it does work.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you did no research of your own and bought an used light without testing it to save a few bucks and now decide to blast Ecotech....

Whenever you buy used equipment, you assume the risk the equipment may fail. Whether that is Ecotech or Kessil or any other brand out there. It's on you to do your due diligence and figure out how old the light is, what model it is, etc.

forge55b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned that you need to make sure all permissions are enabled for the app, location, camera, etc. Recently went through this with some xr30s.

OP
OP
C

CraigJoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you think my op was a blast of ExoTech. I really didnt. I just said i was disappointed in them.

Now, I am a web developer with over 30 years experience. You might say it gives me a bit of a basis to judge when a site is a PIA. Now if that is blasting EcoTeck, well OK then.

However, there is nothing easy to find that explains what to with issues. How to identify what freaking gen! Anything you can find is for gen freaking current!

Just a simple doc on how to set up a used light would have prevented this whole thread.....but, go ahead and blame me, i understand. It's easier for you

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your trying to use ecosmart live you will need a reeflink to run it in a browser. I think you can connect to pc via USB but I have not tried that. I did run 8 ecotech devices for several years using a reeflink and ecosmart live. What gen radion do you have. I have gen 4 and all were mobius ready except one and it only required a new rf chip.
I would contact ecotech. I've had good luck via email support. Be patient tomorrow is a holiday and many companies close for the entire weekend.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No solution here just commiserating. I’ve long said for lights that cost nearly as much as cell phones, the software and connectability are pure hot garbage. The lot of them. So flimsy. Economies of scale is the only explanation I have

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is any of this on Ecotech or their light?

If you don’t know what gen it is, that’s on you. Not on the company that made the light. For example, if it’s a Gen5 and you’re trying to use the old software, how is that Ecotech’s problem? Or if it’s a Gen2 and you tried using Mobius.

The onus is on YOU as the buyer to understand what you’re even buying. Yes, you put Ecotech on blast when you should have put yourself on blast

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the older models you want to go to https://ecosmartlive.com/ register a new account. It should have you download a connection manager at some point (basically a program driver) this will need to be running while connecting a usb cable to the light to the pc. Connect the light to the pc using the usb. Login to the ecosmartlive account you created and run the setup wizard on the web page. Hope this helps in some way

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back