FIlter sock

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for washing machine. I turn them inside out, and wash them. I dont use bleach, just a regular wash seems to do just fine :)

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for washing machine. I turn them inside out, and wash them. I dont use bleach, just a regular wash seems to do just fine :)
I use a 10 micron sock a lot and it's so hard to clean. Do you think a washing machine would remove everything in it? Do they remove everything in normal socks? If so, I'll try it for the first time tonight [emoji14] cleaning by hand is too much

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 10 micron sock a lot and it's so hard to clean. Do you think a washing machine would remove everything in it? Do they remove everything in normal socks? If so, I'll try it for the first time tonight [emoji14] cleaning by hand is too much
I also have 10 micron socks and the washing machine gets them clean for me :)

mike321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you go into detail about using bleach please? I'm very interested in how it works for you. I would feel like I would have to wash it a second time

Haven’t had any issues using bleach.
Some people soak the socks in bleach and rinse it. But you get a better wash when you use the wash machine.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 200 micron filter socks I generally spray out with the shower head in my tub right after pulling them out to get rid of the excess waste and then sit in a bucket to await a wash load. After I get enough to generate a load, I run the washer with nothing in it for a cycle before putting them in to ensure that left over soap/detergent gets flushed out. I then set the washer to hot and rinse and spin with 2 rinses and let it do a cycle and then repeat again. Let dry completely and then Rinse with RODI water and re-use as needed. I did try a capful or two of bleach in the latest wash cycle and it seems to have gotten the socks a little bit cleaner.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until about 2 months ago I washed my MESH filter socks with a hosepipe outside, and it was a pain in the bottom especially in winter!

The washing machine/bleach was a revelation! I have got extra socks so only need to do it about every 3 weeks.

What I now do is:

Throw all socks into washer (not turned inside out just as they are)
But on 2 hour medium heat cycle (when washer not in use) with a squirt of basic bleach - its froths up and cleans them
Put back on another 2 hour cycle with just water to rinse
Leave to dry out in clean sock bucket

The socks come out like brand new

I only use 2 hours because it the first settings and i just switch it on and leave it. Im sure it could be shorter but....

No more rinsing with the hose for me, its just so much easier.

As for bleach its up to you,but I just like them looking nice and clean.

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washing machine pour bleach and have it run for two cycles. That work for me

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the washing machine for my normal sock and 10 micron earlier. Why did I ever wash by hand...anyway they came out 99.9% clean. I wouldn't bother with bleach unless maybe a once a year kind of thing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back