Helfrichi firefish

glover69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everyone, i'm hoping someone more experienced can help me find some peace. This morning I woke up and found my helfrichi firefish dead and i am just confused. Was it an injury or was it old age or just something else? I took care of this fish like its my baby. it is so timid i basically spoon feed him all the time.

i've had this firefish for over 1 year. They are all in 100 gal tank and the tankmates that been with him for over 1 year are : (1 clownfish, 2 blue/green chromis, 1 midas blenny, 1 small blue hippo tang.) The newest addition is the 1 melanurus wrasse added back in January. Everyone in the tank are peaceful but he still hides under his favorite rock daily but will come out to eat when i feed.

So monday morning when i woke up, i noticed his hiding spot was covered in sand and he must have went elsewhere to hide. So i moved the rockwork and clear out all the sand for him to come back to. few hours later when lights came on i see him swimming about but looking weak and hippo tang and wrasse was swimming next to him (no aggression) just seeing the helfrichi first time more than 5 seconds... and he did not dart back under his rock as he usually do when he sees bigger fish. (this was my red flag #1). He later found his old hiding spot that i cleared out sand for him to hide again and he just pokes his head out when he sees me so i figured things back to normal. Come feeding time, i used feeding tube i felt he took few bites of frozen mysis but he didnt eat like he normally eats.

Tuesday, same thing i tried using feeding tube, since he's under rock i feel like he ate few pieces of mysis but can't see for sure but still not normal behavior.

Wednesday, still under rock, using feeding tube i shine flashlight while feeding and i can see food just go right past him and he is not eating. By wednesday evening his body language looks really bad, has the head out of the rock and kind of at 45 degree angle looking listless. So i put my feeding tube in front of him and then he still alert and back his way deeper into rockwork so i guess he was still alert. but before bedtime i checked on him again and he stuck his head out of rock exposing front part of his body again (which is not normal )

These are all the facts from the past 3 days, i'm really confused what caused his death? I know my helfrichi is tough so i really dont think the sand somehow stressed him so much to cause death? about 8 months ago, my helfrichi jumped out while i was doing water change, i saw it while it happend so i put him back in water immediately. He was stressed for a day or so but started eating like a pig the 2nd day so everything was fine.

if anyone can share your experience or have any insight would be much appreciated.

thank you.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. They’re beautiful fish. Although you may not have seen aggression, it could have been happening when you weren’t around. Especially with dart fish. As you mentioned they’re super shy and skittish, so pretty much any aggression can stress them out. Did you notice any physical damage to the body when he started acting off? Since dartfish are so flighty they can sometimes injure themselves if spooked. Another possibility is that the fish just hit the end of its natural lifespan.

OP
OP
glover69

glover69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i'm pretty confident there is no aggression in the tank. There was no physical damage when he was acting off. just lethargy and not as "alert". The past 3 days i was just monitoring him sitting under the rock thinking he will just get better on his own if i leave him alone. I just feel terrible if there was something i could have done to avoid this.

I got the fish from LiveAquaria last february as an adult so i dont know how old he was. He has been in my system for over 1 year. When i google lifespan on these i see approx 3 years. That is really short!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other recent changes to the tank?
Any other fish acting off?

Age related illness is possible, especially with how it seems to have been slowing down (not sure that would happen so fast though). Small fish, especially gobies, do have rather short lifespans.

As for aggression, fish do tend to hide it when you are watching (most behaviors have to be observed from afar), so it is something to be on the lookout for. Keep an eye out for any chasing or torn fins.

OP
OP
glover69

glover69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any other recent changes to the tank?
Any other fish acting off?

Age related illness is possible, especially with how it seems to have been slowing down (not sure that would happen so fast though). Small fish, especially gobies, do have rather short lifespans.

As for aggression, fish do tend to hide it when you are watching (most behaviors have to be observed from afar), so it is something to be on the lookout for. Keep an eye out for any chasing or torn fins.

No recent changes to tank and no other fish acting off. everyone looks good. It could be old age but i just cannot convince myself of that. i just feel terrible he's gone.

I do work from home so I am definitely lucky to be able to watch the tank all day/night. The only slight aggression i do see in the tank are from my 2 Blue/green chromis where the slightly bigger one chases the smaller one during feeding time. but i have not seen any torn fins on the smaller chromis. everyone else in the tank are model citizens.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back