0   0   0
received_680853599283486.jpeg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning all! Figured I'd introduce myself. Long time reefer (handle is from the beginning) I started in 2004 with a little 7 gallon, moved to a 15, to a 32, 40b, 65. Then life started and took a few year break. Wife got pregnant and to deal with stresses of that I started a 32 gallon cube, then moved to a 57 rimless which is where I'm currently at. Looking to move in the next year or two (COVID dependent) then the larger tank will come. I already have the plans in my head. Needless to say, once you get into this hobby, it's hard to stay out of it.

Good morning and welcome.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back into the hobby! You’ve joined a great community with lots of friendly, helpful folks. We‘re here to support your addiction ;)

OP
OP
reefinnewb

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! Seems like this forum is much more active than some of the other forums I used to frequent. I use the same username across all of them.

This recent tank has been running for a little over two years now. I recently had a crash for some reason and couldn't track it down. I had three fish just disappear with no sign of a body anywhere in the tank or outside (it's covered) Then My SPS started to RTN and LPS started to die. Of course then came the algae bloom from the excess nutrients. Once I really caught it, the only thing I could really blame it on was hypo-salinity due to a badly calibrated refractometer. It occurred to me while laying in bed one night that the only thing I didn't check was the calibration of the refractometer. Later found that my "1.025" water was closer to 1.013. Over the course of water changes and salty top off water I was able to get it up to where I want it. All algae is gone, Ca,Mg,and Alk are all where I want them and the tank looks better than it did in a long time. I've started to clean out all of the dead skeletons, frag what I could save, and am starting to see some polyps on coral I thought was long gone. It's been a busy few weeks but am thrilled it's coming back. I've started to add more coral and fish over the past two weeks and all are eating and getting along great. Looking forward to getting my slice of the reef back to where it was.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that same think about a year ago, lost much of my corals - it took me about 6 months of pulling my hair out before I figured it out and had the " WOW , I could have had a V8" moment = not calibrating my refractometer. Where in PA are you? The club in the Pittsbrugh area is reasonably active- Covid19 shut us down this year, but we have a facebook page and our own area on this forum = 3RMAS.com. If you are in our area- please PM.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning all! Figured I'd introduce myself. Long time reefer (handle is from the beginning) I started in 2004 with a little 7 gallon, moved to a 15, to a 32, 40b, 65. Then life started and took a few year break. Wife got pregnant and to deal with stresses of that I started a 32 gallon cube, then moved to a 57 rimless which is where I'm currently at. Looking to move in the next year or two (COVID dependent) then the larger tank will come. I already have the plans in my head. Needless to say, once you get into this hobby, it's hard to stay out of it.
I’m in pa too!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back