How do I control bubble algae without killing my acros?

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a terrible bubble algae problem for a while now and it's getting to the point where I sometimes consider just getting out of the hobby because of it. It's not the version of valonia that has big bubbles, this valonia is tons of tiny bubbles that grow on any surface not covered by coral tissue. I've tried using vibrant and always end up with STN so I stop dosing it. I've also tried emerald crabs, but they do a terrible job of eating the valonia and just end up dying after a bit. I also manually remove it, but it's impossible to get every little bit and it just comes right back. Also my tank naturally consumes nitrate/phosphate without using anything like GFO, which means I have to dose nitrate/phosphate or I end up with dying acros. So I can't limit PO4/NO3 to kill the bubble algae without also killing my corals. One thing that I find odd is that there is pretty much zero valonia in my sump, but it has a light on over it 24/7. I'm in the process of setting up a 75g and when I make the change I was thinking I'd cut anything not living from my corals in an effort to keep bubble algae out of that tank. I'd just have to be sure to also add rock that is free of it.

I use BRS soda ash and calcium chloride on a doser to maintain alk and Ca. I also use BRS kalkwasser in my ATO and BRS 2-part magnesium dosed as needed. The tank is a bare bottom (white HDPE on the bottom) 40 breeder. Light is a 6 bulb dimmable sunpower T5HO. I use a 5 stage RO/DI with TDS meter and keep up on changing the filters. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong that I'm not seeing so I also sent in an ICP test of my RO/DI water and water from the tank.

I tested yesterday, here are the numbers from then and from my apex:
PO4 - 0.02
NO3 - 5ish
Ca - over 500, adjusted my doser to bring that down
Alk - 7.3
Magnesium - 1440
Salinity - keep it at 1.025 - 1.026
temp - 78 to 80, depending on the weather
pH - 8.14
ORP - 430

Fish:
1 Clown
1 Gold lined rabbitfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow assessor

If anyone has suggestions on how to get this bubble algae infestation under control, I'm all ears. I really wish there was something that would eat it on a consistent basis. If I can't get a handle on it, I'm going to try to start from scratch with the 75g I'm setting up.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a terrible bubble algae problem for a while now and it's getting to the point where I sometimes consider just getting out of the hobby because of it. It's not the version of valonia that has big bubbles, this valonia is tons of tiny bubbles that grow on any surface not covered by coral tissue. I've tried using vibrant and always end up with STN so I stop dosing it. I've also tried emerald crabs, but they do a terrible job of eating the valonia and just end up dying after a bit. I also manually remove it, but it's impossible to get every little bit and it just comes right back. Also my tank naturally consumes nitrate/phosphate without using anything like GFO, which means I have to dose nitrate/phosphate or I end up with dying acros. So I can't limit PO4/NO3 to kill the bubble algae without also killing my corals. One thing that I find odd is that there is pretty much zero valonia in my sump, but it has a light on over it 24/7. I'm in the process of setting up a 75g and when I make the change I was thinking I'd cut anything not living from my corals in an effort to keep bubble algae out of that tank. I'd just have to be sure to also add rock that is free of it.

I use BRS soda ash and calcium chloride on a doser to maintain alk and Ca. I also use BRS kalkwasser in my ATO and BRS 2-part magnesium dosed as needed. The tank is a bare bottom (white HDPE on the bottom) 40 breeder. Light is a 6 bulb dimmable sunpower T5HO. I use a 5 stage RO/DI with TDS meter and keep up on changing the filters. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong that I'm not seeing so I also sent in an ICP test of my RO/DI water and water from the tank.

PO4 - 0.02
NO3 - 5ish
Alk - 7.3
Magnesium - 1440
pH - 8.14
ORP - 430

Fish:
1 Clown
1 Gold lined rabbitfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow assessor

If anyone has suggestions on how to get this bubble algae infestation under control, I'm all ears. I really wish there was something that would eat it on a consistent basis. If I can't get a handle on it, I'm going to try to start from scratch with the 75g I'm setting up.
How big is the existing tank with bubble algae? Will it support a rabbitfish?
Most critters that are said to control something wont unless hungry.
They overfeed sharks in public reef tanks so they don't eat their tankmates. If the crabs aren't hungry, maybe they won't touch the algae.
Maybe cut down on feeding?

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have had a problem with bubble algae (valonia) . I removed it manually using a stiff 1/4 tube to remove it from the glass while removing water during the weekly water change and long tweezers to remove them from the sand and the rock if possible as of now I have no visible bubble algae.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just saw you have a rabbitfish, he needs to get to work, lower his diet

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try API Algaefix marine. A few years back I dosed this for a few weeks to a month following the instructions on the bottle and it did the trick. Not sure of its interactions with acros but maybe worth a try.

Usually don't like to add random chemicals but was desperate and couldn't take the bubble algae anymore. I did have corals in the tank as it was a mixed reef but can't remember what exactly.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi i have had a problem with bubble algae (valonia) . I removed it manually using a stiff 1/4 tube to remove it from the glass while removing water during the weekly water change and long tweezers to remove them from the sand and the rock if possible as of now I have no visible bubble algae.
This! I would cut the tip /end of the rigid tube at a 45, which will allow you to puncture it in those tight spots. Just connect vinyl tubing and drain into your bucket/can. Viola!

OP
OP
TDEcoral

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borrow my Clown trigger or Naso tang they love it and ate it all except some deep within coral colonies.

If I could I would! Don't think they'd be happy for long in a 40b though.

Try API Algaefix marine. A few years back I dosed this for a few weeks to a month following the instructions on the bottle and it did the trick. Not sure of its interactions with acros but maybe worth a try.

Usually don't like to add random chemicals but was desperate and couldn't take the bubble algae anymore. I did have corals in the tank as it was a mixed reef but can't remember what exactly.

Thanks for reading my post and offering a solution I haven't tried yet. I've read about Algaefix, but didn't seriously consider it for the same reason you were hesitant to use it. I'm desperate too, so I might as well give it a try.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vibrant aquarium cleaner worked great for my bubble algae, fast and safe too. Bulk reef supply did a video on the product, check it out.
Bro Vibrant takes some time to kill off bubble algae weeks to months more like it. Each tank is different but a month or more is the norm. Vibrant does throw your system out of balance, good bye chaeto and hello stress starved corals. But yeah it works.

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PO4 - 0.02
NO3 - 5ish
Alk - 7.3
Magnesium - 1440
pH - 8.14
ORP - 430

Fish:
1 Clown
1 Gold lined rabbitfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow assessor

I was in your same boat back in 2009 with blankets of this stuff everywhere. This is what I did and it worked pretty quick for my 180-gallon tank:
1. Purchased 50 mexican red-leg hermit crabs from bluezooaquatics. I got this idea from another reefer which also had a bad bubble algae problem and also beat it.
2. Purchased 6-emerald crabs from various places
3. I scraped the bubble algae off the rocks with a metal spoon. I'd say that about 50% of the rocks I scraped underwater and the other 50% I was able to take out of the tank and scrape the bubbles off in the backyard, then I would pour a little tank water over the rock before putting it back in the tank. While doing this the bubbles were exploding everywhere, shooting liquid all over me including in my eyes and in my mouth.
4. I took a net and caught as much algae as I could which was floating in the water column. Although I tried to scoop out as much as I could with the spoon, there was a ton which I was not able to get out and just scraped away at it while it floated away or fell to the bottom. My sandbed had bubble algae all over.(all pumps off during this process)
5. I purchased a Scribbled Rabbitfish (S. Doliatus) It did not take long before the Rabbitfish was eating the left over bubble algae, right out of the water column. He was going after it like a tang goes after food. Then after he ate it all he started picking remnants of bubble algae off the rock too.

I think all the crabs helped to prevent it from coming back.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low nitrates for a spell. Sailfin tangs and rabbitfish eat it. Emerald Crabs eat it but very slowly - work best with you pulling it out as much as you can. I've been afraid to dose any quick fix additive but the aforementioned things in concert eventually get it under control. It grows relatively slow so you have plenty of time to remove it before it smothers any corals. As such never seen a need for a quick fix that could upset the tank.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried emerald/mithrax crabs from reef cleaners? They are miracle workers, truly. My 20 gallon was covered, top to bottom in bubble algae and just 2 crabs and a few months later the algae was almost completely gone. I was quite frankly shocked and amazed by their efficiency. I say give them a try before the chemicals or whatever else. They’re only like 5 bucks and he’ll refund you if they don’t eat the bubble algae.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon tank, use a foxface. Pretty fish and they love the bubbles. Just make sure it’s also eating prepared foods so you can care for it long term :)

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! I would cut the tip /end of the rigid tube at a 45, which will allow you to puncture it in those tight spots. Just connect vinyl tubing and drain into your bucket/can. Viola!

IMO,
This and only this will work at elimination without stress. It's key to remove and siphon ti avoid mass spore release. Do this weekly with a water change following. Keep in mind, this is nutrient removal and may cause nutrients to lower. I would skim wet for a couple of days after this removal and water change. Like hair, elbow grease seems best proven method :)

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was:
Manually remove as much as possible. Can't overstate this enough. Bubble algae is about the easiest type to remove by hand.

A rabbit fish. My scribbled rabbit was removing bubble so fast he was clogging pumps with it. Your seems to be slacking. Instead of starving the rest of the fish maybe feed like small mysis of something that will feed the rest of the fish but not the porker.

Lastly Vibrant. It really does work. Like 2 month of it. Actually helped the rabbitfish do it's job. You can see the bubbles start to die and once it is weaken it is Rabbit chow.

Most bubble algae was a wake-up call for me to go over and improve my export systems.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back