Is this light suitable for mangroves?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this light sufficient to grow Mangroves?

Pico Refugium LED Light - ReefBreeders
LED Specifications
5x 660nm (3w driven @ 1w)
1x 440nm (3w driven @1w)

pico.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this light sufficient to grow Mangroves?

Pico Refugium LED Light - ReefBreeders
LED Specifications
5x 660nm (3w driven @ 1w)
1x 440nm (3w driven @1w)

pico.jpg
I agree with @Timfish. That light grows cheato like a boss. I have one and it works great for that.

Where are you planning on putting a mangrove? I grow them and there are quite a few options that work great, but knowing more about the space you plan to do it in will help for me to give you some info on options.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! So the difference between a legit macro light vs mangrove light is just the PAR?? I have a waterbox 15.2 peninsula dedicated for a Mangrove setup! Any suggestions on a solid light that is easier to setup and not an arm and leg in expense?

I am unsure currently if I should add them in the DT, or in the back chambers, or both! The back chamber is pretty big and I know others have successfully done mangroves in smaller spaces.

@Timfish your tank is beautiful! I hope to have a mangrove half that size one day

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a water box 15.2, the light will either have to be just for a mangrove and then a ight for the tank to keep it cheap, or you could do a reef breeders photon v2 16” and mount it up higher. Then you get the mangrove covered and the tank covered.

@Tigahboy uses them on his setups now. I believe he used primes before, but had one done low and one up high for the mangrove.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tigahboy would love to hear your suggestion or any insight.

I could get another AI Prime for this tank! I have never heard of the reef breeders photon v2 16. Does it have preset ability? I wonder if Tigahboy is using a specific preset. Also, it is feasible to get the mangroves in the back chamber and DT just for softies. Thus I could have a reef light for the DT, and a light in the back just for mangroves.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have somone telling me from another group that they use the Reef Breeders PICO Freshwater light for their mangroves and it is working well.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hoping some more people can chime in! Is there another forum group that would be better? I don't think I saw a Mangrove forum.. Are there any admins that we can suggest to have this made?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White Mangroves, Laguncularia racemosa are very hard to grow in our cooler homes, and need to be misted frequently. Also your Top off should be directed at the roots. Best luck I had was using a Reptile Incandescent Lamp. Red Mangroves Rhizophora mangle, are a little easier, again using a Reptile Incandescent Lamp. Some Black Mangroves Avicenna germinans are the most cool tolerant, seedlings are rarely sold. Reds are the long seed pods Black Dark Green, Large Butterbean, White Mangrove Seed Pods are Black/Green to all Black, Large Butter Bean Shaped.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back