JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been a day or two, right?

Totally fine if they take a couple of days to eat. They also have a YWG to check out and see the pecking order.

Mine don't like brine shrimp. Spit it right out. Give some frozen Mysis a try. Of you can get a sampler of TDO pellets, they might like it.

Lastly, jave you checked woth Dr. Reef what he was feeding them?

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been a day or two, right?

Totally fine if they take a couple of days to eat. They also have a YWG to check out and see the pecking order.

Mine don't like brine shrimp. Spit it right out. Give some frozen Mysis a try. Of you can get a sampler of TDO pellets, they might like it.

Lastly, jave you checked woth Dr. Reef what he was feeding them?
He feeds them a blend of frozen mysis and brine.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate quite high (.04-.06)
Although fish were quarantined, it reduces chances of disease but not always disqualifies chance not to say disease is in effect
You for sure want to match acclimation salinity with that of tank and with recommendation of water exchanges is concerning as you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water from the bag which in turn makes the residual ammonia toxic to the fish. It does not appear they are in any distress, so keep an eye on them.
What are you using to test ammonia Level ?
I started my tank with live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and my phosphate has always been a bit high. It’s declined from .5 to .20 ppm after adding a bag of chemi clear elite.

Alkalinity of tank was 1.024, and the fish water measured at 1.023. So I mixed 1/4 cup tank water twice over 10 mins and then added fish to tank using a gloved hand.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and my phosphate has always been a bit high. It’s declined from .5 to .20 ppm after adding a bag of chemi clear elite.

Alkalinity of tank was 1.024, and the fish water measured at 1.023. So I mixed 1/4 cup tank water twice over 10 mins and then added fish to tank using a gloved hand.
My TBS rock also ran high PO4 for a while. I am going on 11 months now. Once the macro started taking off and PO4 came down to just a barely noticeable blue in the Salifert test (I don't bother with the numbers... can't tell the difference between the first 2-3 shades), I stopped running PhosGuard and just have the macro, corals and sponges taking care of it.

Didn't mention earlier, but I also mix Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast, ROE and Phyto feast with pellets for my clowns (the soup is really for the corals, but pellets get to soak a bit). They get into a bit of a feeding frenzy when that stuff goes into the tank, even though their focus is the pellets.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporarily relocated the long polyp leather coral to prevent the cleaner shrimp from using it as a nightly perch. The coral appears to be responding well to the relocation. Will slowly start to bring it closer to its final spot to see how the shrimp respond.

906365D4-0397-43A1-8439-F609116D0AA7.jpeg

27A5B728-6D9C-4568-AA2D-3CEBDACA4951.jpeg

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I wish my little clown fish would eat! Sure, they will peck at morsels of food here and there, but I’m get more and more nervous that they are not eating a sustainable amount of food.

They were mailed on Friday, October 28th and since then I’ve tried numerous different foods. I’ve even tried soaking the food in freshly minced garlic, a remedy touted by many.The foods I have attempted include:

Omega One Whole Frozen Brine
Omega One Whole Frozen Mysis
Omega One Whole Frozen Cyclops
Hikari Lake Okanagan Frozen Fresh Water Mysis
Rod’s Food Original Blend
Nyos Wild Goji Pellet Food

But, we’ll just keep trying!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I wish my little clown fish would eat! Sure, they will peck at morsels of food here and there, but I’m get more and more nervous that they are not eating a sustainable amount of food.

They were mailed on Friday, October 28th and since then I’ve tried numerous different foods. I’ve even tried soaking the food in freshly minced garlic, a remedy touted by many.The foods I have attempted include:

Omega One Whole Frozen Brine
Omega One Whole Frozen Mysis
Omega One Whole Frozen Cyclops
Hikari Lake Okanagan Frozen Fresh Water Mysis
Rod’s Food Original Blend
Nyos Wild Goji Pellet Food

But, we’ll just keep trying!
Have you tried regular flake food?

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried regular flake food?
I have not! That may be the last thing I try, if only because these fishies were raised on frozen and, to the best of my knowledge, I don’t know if they’ve ever eaten flake foods. Is there a particular brand you would recommend?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the omega one marine, in a blue plastic jar. My fishies gobble it up, including ones that usually eat only "better" foods like frozen.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just use new life spectrum pellets ,0 reason to feed that much variety of frozen . Once acclimated, theyll eat anything id wager. Make your life easier , plus you can control the amount of food youre putting in. Looking good though

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do try the flake, don't just sprinkle on top, take a pinch and dip your fingers in the water and squish the flakes with your fingers. This makes the flakes fly through the water currents so it looks more "alive" and fish want to chase it.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do try the flake, don't just sprinkle on top, take a pinch and dip your fingers in the water and squish the flakes with your fingers. This makes the flakes fly through the water currents so it looks more "alive" and fish want to chase it.
Great tip! Flakes should arrive Thursday from Amazon. Fingers crossed…

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the gloom about picky clownfish, I neglected to share a bright spot of the week. Earlier, I erroneously determined that Sally the Shellback was not reef safe after watching the crab pick at corals.

Well, I observed this behavior again but upon closer inspection realized that she was not picking at the corals themselves. She picks at leftover food and detritus that collects around the corals. So, all that to say that Sally will be sticking with us!

5658163C-2DD9-41F4-AD5C-1036295EFC3F.jpeg

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LiverockRocks Do you have any reports of Eunice worms appearing as hitchhikers? Do you know of what species are common to the Florida Gulf?

I spotted Eunice worm extending out of a rock to grab a piece of frozen shrimp, and I am trying to ID it. I don’t really mind Eunice worms, just curious to know what kind it is.

I believe it may be Eunice fucata, but I cannot be sure.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a new friend in the tank! I think this is the crab that has been leaving molts around. I’m almost certain it’s some kind of gorilla crab, so at some point it will probably need to come out.

For now, I am grateful for the cleaning service it provides. I watched it for about 15 minutes this morning; the crab scampered around the underside of its rock, picking up mysis shrimp that floated under.

D734CE0D-7859-4651-A6DD-88642ED63080.jpeg

A35BC392-7B09-4916-8CF0-B21C15E25F38.jpeg

95EB334E-38A2-41CF-88B1-A6F015B45703.jpeg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LiverockRocks Do you have any reports of Eunice worms appearing as hitchhikers? Do you know of what species are common to the Florida Gulf?

I spotted Eunice worm extending out of a rock to grab a piece of frozen shrimp, and I am trying to ID it. I don’t really mind Eunice worms, just curious to know what kind it is.

I believe it may be Eunice fucata, but I cannot be sure.
Are you sure that the worm had the appendages at the mouth that distinguish it from common bristleworms?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back