Tylerismale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am kinda new to corals and reefing and am having some trouble with my corals. I don't know what is wrong because my parameters are perfect with nitrate being the only thing that is a little high (by high I mean that it's like 5). I have also been testing my phosphates and those were at 0.5 and I bought a phosphate remover thingy today to help lower it. My calcium the last time I checked was at like 360 and I have been raising it every day to try to get it at that 400-500 range. My salinity the last time I checked was about 1.026 and my temperature stays at about 76. I am also using RO water. I did buy some coral vitamin stuff and started using it today (today I literally just put a drop of each). My tank is 20 gallons long, which I plan to upgrade in the near future. My light is this one; . Everything else in my tank has been doing fine. I am especially worried about the coral (I believe it's a leather coral) that is completely drooping over cause I moved it and pieces fell off of it.

IMG_4394.jpg IMG_4390.jpg IMG_4391.jpg IMG_4392.jpg IMG_4393.jpg IMG_4395.jpg IMG_4396.jpg

Retro Heat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some people are using this light for reef tanks from the feedback. But, they have them inches off the waterline. So, you're probably not getting enough par to your corals. Also, something is going on with your water (cloudiness and corals not opening at all). I would lower your light, stop adding anything you're not testing for, and do some water changes.

Phosphate is super high. Try to walk it down slowly over the next month. Calcium is low... get it up for around 420.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your tank is in the middle of an algae bloom with cloudy water. This may cause 02 depletion and harm fish. You want nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1.

OP
OP
Tylerismale

Tylerismale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some people are using this light for reef tanks from the feedback. But, they have them inches off the waterline. So, you're probably not getting enough par to your corals. Also, something is going on with your water (cloudiness and corals not opening at all). I would lower your light, stop adding anything you're not testing for, and do some water changes.

Phosphate is super high. Try to walk it down slowly over the next month. Calcium is low... get it up for around 420.
Alright, I will do tysm! For the phosphates I bought the aqueon phosphate remover sponges do you recommend them or should I try something else?

OP
OP
Tylerismale

Tylerismale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water change schedule?

Do you have any additional flow other than the hob filter?

Hard to recommend any recourse without more info.
I do a weekly water change and I have the hob filter and a fluval protein skimmer on the opposite end that puts out a ton of 02 and flow.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are ok for now. Everything needs to find a balance.

-Continue doing weekly water changes. 2 gallons.

-Get a second light, hang 12" from the surface and adjust from there.

-Look into a small powerhead/wavemaker for MORE surface agitation.

-Take it slow, no major changes.

OP
OP
Tylerismale

Tylerismale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are ok for now. Everything needs to find a balance.

-Continue doing weekly water changes. 2 gallons.

-Get a second light, hang 12" from the surface and adjust from there.

-Look into a small powerhead/wavemaker for MORE surface agitation.

-Take it slow, no major changes.
Alright tysm!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any powerheads in your tank? Leather corals need flow, or else they can't shed and can't even stand up. Also your water surface is very flat, You should add powerheads to create flow and also point one of them at the water surface to create agitation and help put oxygen in the water.

The tank looks very new, corals can have a hard time in new tanks. The water is also very cloudy, so something is wrong, that can affect corals too.

Considering the small fortunes we all spend on reef lights, I find it very hard to believe that a $30 light is adequate. We would all buy $30 lights if it worked.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand: Odyssea
4.3 4.3 out of 5 stars 51Reviews
Odyssea T5 Dual Marine Aquarium Light FOWLR Cichlid (24")

This comes with bulbs. It's not as blue as the led but a cheap good light to get started. Copy and paste to Amazon. You want the salt water light not fresh water.

OP
OP
Tylerismale

Tylerismale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this is just an update on everything. So I got a wave maker and got the Nicrew ClassicLED Marine light (I got this light cause it had some good reviews, especially with coral and I like how it has a built-in timer). Some of my corals did end up passing but I feel like that was kind of expected. I am having an issue with my Kenya tree where it has broken off the stand a bit. Also, I want to know if any of y'all just think there is anything I need to add or take away. Also if you are wondering why my tank is so cloudy, idk either, it will one day be cloudy then another day be clear.

Attachments

• IMG_4412.mp4
    5.2 MB
  • IMG_4415.jpg
    IMG_4415.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4413.jpg
    IMG_4413.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 20

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back