POLL: Foxface VS Rabbitfish! Which one do you prefer?

Foxface or Rabbitfish?

• Foxface!

Votes: 63 50.8%
  • Rabbitfish!

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • I don't like either.

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • They're both awesome!

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • I don't know much about these guys.

Votes: 13 10.5%

• Total voters

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post popped up after I posted mine,so you saying foxface didn't used to be a rabbit fish ? But now is classed as one ?
Sorry late here and brain not working as good lol
five species of siganus used to be under the lo. genus, but is since considered more of a "sub genus" for siganus. however, people just use it interchangeably in colloquial terms. i don't believe i'm wrong, but i love learning about these things.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post popped up after I posted mine,so you saying foxface didn't used to be a rabbit fish ? But now is classed as one ?
Sorry late here and brain not working as good lol
I’ll try explain it (Although we are in the same timezone and my brain is also mushy at this time of night haha)

Bicolor Foxfaces used to be labelled as Siganus Lo uspi however, recently the Lo part was changed. 4 species were labelled under the subgenus Lo, these 4 are now what we know of as Siganus uspi, Siganus magnificus, Siganus unimaculatus and Siganus vulpinus.
Also, yes there is a 5th species recently discovered however I’m unsure if this was discovered during the Lo subgenus’ time. The 5th species is now known as Siganus niger.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try explain it (Although we are in the same timezone and my brain is also mushy at this time of night haha)

Bicolor Foxfaces used to be labelled as Siganus Lo uspi however, recently the Lo part was changed. 4 species were labelled under the subgenus Lo, these 4 are now what we know of as Siganus uspi, Siganus magnificus, Siganus unimaculatus and Siganus vulpinus.
saving this for later, thank you for explaining!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
five species of siganus used to be under the lo. genus, but is since considered more of a "sub genus" for siganus. however, people just use it interchangeably in colloquial terms. i don't believe i'm wrong, but i love learning about these things.
It’s also still used in the common name of Siganus vulpinus and im pretty sure the common name last time I checked was Foxface Lo so it’s still in use, just not for the same thing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless you're distressing your foxface into a situation where you deserve a sting, you shouldn't be too worried about getting a nip by its spine. a common misconception i see amongst people who talk about the siganus genus, but you usually won't make your rabbitfish want to sting you unless you're really getting on its nerves.

of course, it's all the same for me as i net and bag fish at work. i pray nobody wants a rabbitfish while i'm clocked in...
You never want to bet a rabbit… I did that with my Mag and he got stuck in the net. Needless to say I ended up with a broken net and a stressed rabbit (He was happy when he went into the 4’ again though). The good thing is you can hold them by the sides so a thick pair of gloves helped me with that.
In my 4’ tank’s build thread I have a lot about what occurred during changing my sand to a much finer (Sugar Fine) sand.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, yes there is a 5th species recently discovered however I’m unsure if this was discovered during the Lo subgenus’ time. The 5th species is now known as Siganus niger.
Thanks for explanations ^_^

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my one spot for about 6 months now and his name is skittish. Literally he’s scared of his own shadow. Hes literally an idiot hes the only fish thats been stuck to the WM’ers. But if you go up to the tank and sit still he comes out and says hi. He’s always pecking the rocks. The only coral he ate was clove polyps. He follows my Scopas everywhere.

Going by the reply’s you can see they have there own personalities like children :face-with-tears-of-joy:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BD08DF4F-879E-412F-AC4C-A2C405F45F2A.jpeg

Are these Rabbitfish?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

perhaps it was categorized as the new subgenus instead of the separate genus in the time of the other 4. something i didn’t know when i wrote my other explanation ;)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a one spot foxface and a gold spot rabbitfish in my tank. I liked both, but the foxface was always a timid fish and lacked personality IMO. Unfortunately our foxface randomly passed away a while back. My rabbitfish is full of personality and definitely not shy at all. There has been a few times his curiosity and stomach has gotten him a little too close for comfort while I've been working in the tank. Even nibbling on my arm once or twice to see if I was edible. Cuzco is the puppy dog of our tank and we love him. He holds his own against the three tangs I've got in the tank as well, in fact, he tends to be the boss of the tank.

Edit: I will say, he isn't much of a grazer or ever has been. He is an absolute piglet but very very rarely do I ever see him pick at the rocks.

cuzco.jpeg
Beautiful fish!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Foxface is a rabbit fish my dude lol
Haha! Fair enough. You're correct. I just didn't know how to better differentiate them since we typically refer to one as a foxface and the other as a rabbitfish in the hobby vernacular, but you are absolutely right that they are both rabbitfish.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dusky was a 2in fish just a few months ago. It quickly grew and caught up to the slower growing Foxface.
the Foxface was my police. Any squabbles in the tank and it would stand between the fish

Attachments

• 20220715_143700.jpg
    20220715_143700.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220702_204637.jpg
    20220702_204637.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220702_204429.jpg
    20220702_204429.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 23

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Fair enough. You're correct. I just didn't know how to better differentiate them since we typically refer to one as a foxface and the other as a rabbitfish in the hobby vernacular, but you are absolutely right that they are both rabbitfish.
I’ve seen foxface for sale in a few lfs . As well as here where why are called foxface tang ….

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve seen foxface for sale in a few lfs . As well as here where why are called foxface tang ….
Now that...well...that's...confusing...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back