Reef Safe Wrasse Needed

Florida Girl 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired several pieces of coral from my uncle who was moving and decided to get rid of his tank. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the corals were carriers of parasitic anemones. The anemones took over the rocks in my tank and killed my Spotted Dragonet and a Cleaner Shrimp, all in a month. I decided to get rid of all of the rocks in my tank, salvage a few soft corals that did not have the anemones growing on them, and start over. I suspect the anemones will come back in the future just because they are so hard to get rid of, so I am looking into buying a wrasse to manage the issue. I have heard that some wrasses will eat these anemones.

My tank is 45 gallons, and currently contains a juvenile Doctor Tang, Caribbean Sailfin Blenny, Yellowtail Damselfish, and a juvenile Gold Nugget Maroon Clownfish. The Tang and the Clown are the most obnoxious fish in the tank. I would like to get a wrasse that will stay small (no bigger than 4 or 5 inches) and get along with my current fish. It must also be reef safe. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wrasse to add to the tank? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were you dealing with Aiptasia, Majano, or another species of anemone? Knowing the species will help determine a proper method of control. Pics will also help in this case.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I recently acquired several pieces of coral from my uncle who was moving and decided to get rid of his tank. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the corals were carriers of parasitic anemones. The anemones took over the rocks in my tank and killed my Spotted Dragonet and a Cleaner Shrimp, all in a month. I decided to get rid of all of the rocks in my tank, salvage a few soft corals that did not have the anemones growing on them, and start over. I suspect the anemones will come back in the future just because they are so hard to get rid of, so I am looking into buying a wrasse to manage the issue. I have heard that some wrasses will eat these anemones.

My tank is 45 gallons, and currently contains a juvenile Doctor Tang, Caribbean Sailfin Blenny, Yellowtail Damselfish, and a juvenile Gold Nugget Maroon Clownfish. The Tang and the Clown are the most obnoxious fish in the tank. I would like to get a wrasse that will stay small (no bigger than 4 or 5 inches) and get along with my current fish. It must also be reef safe. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wrasse to add to the tank? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Wrasse will not eat aiptasia, and I would not add another fish to a 45g with a tang and maroon.
I do hope you have a much larger tank for the tang.
Screenshot_20230930_173256_Chrome.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Certain species of wrasse have symbiotic relationships with anemones throughout their lifetimes however none will outright eat an anemone.

as for your tank, rehome most of those fish (specifically the damsel, tang and maroon) and then you’ll be able to house some more peaceful fish like wrasses. Those fish you have will be hell for any new fish in the tank unfortunately.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back