Reefbrite XHO only??

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been running a Reefbrite “Supra” fixture for the last year or so on my 90 mixed reef. Just the 2 T5s on the sides with an XHO mounted to the center. Mixed reef standard size 90. Everything has been growing great…Zoas, some softies, Euphyllias, Montiporas, Acans, Duncan’s, Stylo, Ricordea. Yesterday the T5’s just died out of nowhere, so now just the XHO blue running. I have a chance to pick up 2 XHO 50/50s . What do you guys think? Thinking about buying the 5 unit bracket, putting the blue in the middle, and the 50/50s on the far outside. Would run the blue 10 hrs / day, and the 2 50/50s for 5 hrs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. TY.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking of doing….just wanted to get some opinions 1st.
I'm a little disappointed that you found the 8 bulb T5 wasn't as effective as the other setup. I have been thinking about going back to T5s from Hydras

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can totally do 4-5 xhos. Performance is very similar to flourescent bulbs. I personally would substitute the 2 in the center for some full spectrum leds but all xhos work great.

Check out this brs video on xhos

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You use something like it is back to the future(10 years)..........totally inadequate because it's only blue and white leds.

Total garbage for dominant acro systems as there is no violet or red and weak in mid level white areas to accommodate any type of levels to excite certain pigments. In other words they are non existent in 400-420nm, 500nm, and possibly weak in the 560-600nm as most people will overdo the 450-470 area washing this out.

There may also be issues with some colorful LPS like acans, gonis, ect.

If you're going to go down this road look for light bars that carry more led colors than what Reefbrite has to offer. Not only are most less expensive they perform better and create more par and have a wider spectrum range.

I doubt any reef bar setup will have the performance of T5 when it comes to mixing spectrum for blending and consistent levels across the whole tank.

With using multiple led strips,regardless of brand, you have to look at coverage which is most important as you're getting to price points that equal Sky, Coral Care and even maybe Strattons which will all blend spectrum better.

Last edited:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use something like it is back to the future(10 years)..........totally inadequate because it's only blue and white leds.

Total garbage for dominant acro systems as there is no violet or red and weak in mid level white areas to accommodate any type of levels to excite certain pigments. In other words they are non existent in 400-420nm, 500nm, and possibly weak in the 560-600nm as most people will overdo the 450-470 area washing this out.

There may also be issues with some colorful LPS like acans, gonis, ect.

If you're going to go down this road look for light bars that carry more led colors than what Reefbrite has to offer. Not only are most less expensive they perform better and create more par and have a wider spectrum range.

I doubt any reef bar setup will have the performance of T5 when it comes to mixing spectrum for blending and consistent levels across the whole tank.

With using multiple led strips,regardless of brand, you have to look at coverage which is most important as you're getting to price points that equal Sky, Coral Care and even maybe Strattons which will all blend spectrum better.
The xhos have the most par for any strip light, even more than flourescent tubes while maintaining similar spread. I also disagree that corals will struggle with only blue and whites. This was grown under ai sols that were just blue and white leds. I do agree that you'll have better color with full spectrum though.
20190625_135300.jpg

20190625_135457.jpg
20190625_135243.jpg

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue xho and have the chance to pick up 2 of the xho 50/50s for $200 total. Hard to pass up. Do you think that will be too much white?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue xho and have the chance to pick up 2 of the xho 50/50s for $200 total. Hard to pass up. Do you think that will be too much white?
Just get the controller for them and you can control the blue and white channels separately. Its a good deal so id go for it

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 4 reefbright XHO's over my 80gal tank for a while. two 50/50 and two actinic blues. You can check out my build thread for pictures. While its a shallow tank, the par was only around softy/LPS levels. I find the spectrum was really lacking. I added a Kessil to the reefbrights and I'm much happier.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have been running a Reefbrite “Supra” fixture for the last year or so on my 90 mixed reef. Just the 2 T5s on the sides with an XHO mounted to the center. Mixed reef standard size 90. Everything has been growing great…Zoas, some softies, Euphyllias, Montiporas, Acans, Duncan’s, Stylo, Ricordea. Yesterday the T5’s just died out of nowhere, so now just the XHO blue running. I have a chance to pick up 2 XHO 50/50s . What do you guys think? Thinking about buying the 5 unit bracket, putting the blue in the middle, and the 50/50s on the far outside. Would run the blue 10 hrs / day, and the 2 50/50s for 5 hrs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. TY.
This would work. Other option is an Orphek OR3 blue plus

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank
I ran 4 reefbright XHO's over my 80gal tank for a while. two 50/50 and two actinic blues. You can check out my build thread for pictures. While its a shallow tank, the par was only around softy/LPS levels. I find the spectrum was really lacking. I added a Kessil to the reefbrights and I'm much happier.
Which Kessil?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The xhos have the most par for any strip light, even more than flourescent tubes while maintaining similar spread. I also disagree that corals will struggle with only blue and whites. This was grown under ai sols that were just blue and white leds. I do agree that you'll have better color with full spectrum though.
20190625_135300.jpg

20190625_135457.jpg
20190625_135243.jpg

Maybe I didn't make myself clear that I was talking about acropora dominant systems. Sols were junk back when they came out and nothing has changed. I saw in person what they could accomplish with coloring acros and everything was drab for the most part except green dominant corals.

I could color/grow LPS, caps, digis, ect. with my 5500k 175w halides 30 years ago.

XHO's are great for supplementation because they have a wide spread due to the reflectors and this will give false readings with a par meter because it's reading everything that hits the probes dome.

It's the same as if you measured any light........6 T5 bulbs will read less par than 8 but the actual par is the same. The 8 bulbs just cover a wider area.........each bulb is creating the same par level. The par meter probe is getting hit by more light from various angles so it will read higher. As the probe is moved further from the center this is especially more evident.

Most par levels can be manipulated to make any manufacturers lights seem better. People put waaay to much emphasis on par when spectrum and coverage are much more important. Par was always pushed by these manufacturers of leds because they could manipulate things with optics. So maybe me describing this as par is the wrong way to describe it.

Some of the tight focused optics can fry corals due to the magnifying glass effect......it has nothing to do with par.

People can ignore my advice if they want.......but all the changes in offering more spectrum in all LED units on the market over the last ten years proves what I'm talking about.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I didn't make myself clear that I was talking about acropora dominant systems. Sols were junk back when they came out and nothing has changed. I saw in person what they could accomplish with coloring acros and everything was drab for the most part except green dominant corals.

I could color/grow LPS, caps, digis, ect. with my 5500k 175w halides 30 years ago.

XHO's are great for supplementation because they have a wide spread due to the reflectors and this will give false readings with a par meter because it's reading everything that hits the probes dome.

It's the same as if you measured any light........6 T5 bulbs will read less par than 8 but the actual par is the same. The 8 bulbs just cover a wider area.........each bulb is creating the same par level. The par meter probe is getting hit by more light from various angles so it will read higher. As the probe is moved further from the center this is especially more evident.

Most par levels can be manipulated to make any manufacturers lights seem better. People put waaay to much emphasis on par when spectrum and coverage are much more important. Par was always pushed by these manufacturers of leds because they could manipulate things with optics. So maybe me describing this as par is the wrong way to describe it.

Some of the tight focused optics can fry corals due to the magnifying glass effect......it has nothing to do with par.

People can ignore my advice if they want.......but all the changes in offering more spectrum in all LED units on the market over the last ten years proves what I'm talking about.
Yes if all that matters is bringing out the best color then nothing beats full spectrum.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back