Renters Insurance

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently am getting into the hobby so I called my renters insurance. I have Assurant through Geico and the phone rep assured me up and down that no matter what happend to the tank I woudl be covered for damage to the apartment. I specifically asked her about catastrophic events such as the tank bottom shattering, pumps and hoses getting clogged, and she said yes. I was thinking afterward that I wanted it in writing so I sent an email. I got a very generic response so I sent another email asking for specifics. This is the response I got:

"Dear Mr. Rukus,

Thank you for your correspondence. As indicated on the policy jacket under SECTION II - LIABILITY COVERAGES, if a claim is made or a suit is brought against an "insured" for property damage caused by an occurrence to which this coverage applies, we will:

1. Pay up to our limit of liability for the damages for which the “insured†is legally liable. Damages include prejudgment interest awarded against the “insuredâ€; and2. Provide a defense at our expense by counsel of our choice, even if the suit is groundless, false or fraudulent. We may investigate and settle any claim or suit that we decide is appropriate. Our duty to settle or defend ends when the amount we pay for damages resulting from the “occurrence†equals our limit of liability.

Pertaining to your aquarium, there is no coverage if the acquarium (tank) leaks or if the (tank) broke due to a malfunction. We will only cover damages if the loss was caused by any of the perils listed on the policy, please see SECTION I - PERILS INSURED AGAINST. For example: If there was a Mechanical component such as a pump, pipe etc that was damaged due to a power surge, this is covered. If you fell asleep and left water running, water over flows into your apartment causing damage, this is covered as it is due to your negligance which the (insured is legally liable). Any malfunction or seal issues that would cause the tank to break or leak is not a covered peril.

I hope I've responded to all your questions and concerns today. If you have further questions please contact our customer service department at 1-877-752-8571. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you as our valued customer. "

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif](For some reason i can't unbold my text after i pasted it). I know how incredibly rare a disaster like a shattered tank from a falling rock or an overflow would be with proper maintenance and a beananimal overflow, so i wanted to make sure i was covered.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]So it looks like i'm back on the market for some renters insurance. any [/FONT]recommendations[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif] from renters out there? I don't care about the equipment or livestock, that can always be replaced for a few g's. but 90 gallons of water on a carpeted floor left alone for 12 hours while i'm work would probably cause some serious damage![/FONT]
[/FONT]

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd switch just based on the provider. They cost less until you need to do anything that doesn't involve handing them money. I've know people that had their rates doubled and were left out to dry for having their car hit in a parking lot (legally parked) while they were out to sea. Geico refused to pay them a dime. I've heard nothing but complaints from people that have tried to file claims, while those that have not yet filed a claim seem to think they are great.
If you, an immediate family member, or member of your household is in the military or is a veteran, I'd recommend USAA. There rates have been way below anybody else and the customer service is excellent. They pay on the higher end of vehicle values.

Seal failures are somewhat rare. If they do occur early on, many manufacturers have coverage for damages up to a certain dollar amount. If this is something that is a very big concern for you, contact the manufacturer of the tanks you are looking into. A visual inspection of the seams before purchase, as well as during and after filling should make defects like air pockets in the silicone or seams lifting, quite apparent. Not a guarantee, but it should remove most doubt.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 30gal mishap with out renters imsureance years ago. Long story short the landlord was an idiot and blamed it on the rain. The following week I got renters.
My Allstate home owners covers any damage caused any way, but not livestock. Worth a call yo check around

OP
OP
M

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far i have heard that statefarm and allstate have policies worth looking into. what really upset me was if i took the call center customer service rep's advice i would be screwed.

OP
OP
M

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any renters out there have any experience. State Farm said no, nothing about riders. Even though I have read older threads that used them.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have State Farm and my agent, whom I have worked with since I got car insurance on my 16th birthday in 1982, has not only reassured me about my coverage but they have actually paid for damage caused by an overflow due to a bad pump. I have always been happy with State Farm.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have State Farm as well and they assured me that if my 240g broke, leaked, basically whatever, the damage to carpet, drywall, etcetera would be covered. The odd thing was that when we added this to our car insurance, our monthly payments actually went down. Same thing happened years ago when we added home owners insurance to our vehicle insurance.

OP
OP
M

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this is frustrating. Just got off the phone with state farm and they said no. I told them what I read here and they said there was nothing they could do. Maybe it's ct? I'll try another agent too.

OP
OP
M

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Farmers was the only one I could find in ct. Everyone else I had to be really specific with. All the agents said yes, sure do. I asked all of them to check with uneed writing then they all called back and said no. Except farmers. Little more expense than the others but they cover it.

Daryl West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Thanks for sharing the informative thing about the renters insurance. Renters insurance covers all the damages, causes to the property. Renters insurance protects your belongings in the event of a fire, theft, or other property damage. One of my friend also has registered for renter insurance, which covers all his property damage. Few days back when his water tank pipe got damaged due to a power surge, he claims an insurance with the help of public insurance adjuster from AllClaimsUSA for the insurance money.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty important topic. I have Renters Insurance with Statefarm, and I've been "assuming" that I would be covered if I were to ever have a mishap with one of my tanks.
Based on what some of you have stated, I think I need to call and ask some very "specific questions" to ensure that I would be covered if my tank ever busted or leaked. I've got TWO 120s, and a failure with just one of those would be pretty severe - especially if after the fact, I was to be told that it wasn't covered.

Last edited:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty important topic. I have Renters Insurance with Statefarm, and I've been "assuming" that I would be covered if I were to ever have a mishap with one of my tanks.
Based on what some of you have stated, I think I need to call and ask some very "specific questions" to ensure that I would be covered if my tank ever busted or leaked. I've got TWO 120s, and a failure with just one of those would be pretty severe - especially if after the fact, I was to be told that it wasn't covered.
You need to have it in writing. Just calling and asking them specific questions doesn't cut it. The phone reps will tell you anything. Their job is to get your money. It is someone elses job to try and not pay out your claim. If you don't have it in writing you are not covered; bottom line.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have it in writing. Just calling and asking them specific questions doesn't cut it. The phone reps will tell you anything. Their job is to get your money. It is someone elses job to try and not pay out your claim. If you don't have it in writing you are not covered; bottom line.

Will do !

Back