Sailfin tang in quarantine

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've had a sailfin tang in quarantine for the since May 12, 2 weeks observation, then ICH showed up, dosed with cupermine as directed.
My tang has shown no spots since June 22.
My question is when or how do I know if it's ready to be brought over to my display tank, after 2 drip acclimations?

IMG_20200701_151016.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks like he has HLLE.
Latter line condition. You need to make sure your feeding him a proper diet.
Tangs are very susceptible to HLLE.
This HLLE could also be caused by the carbon on filtering out the copper from the water.

IF you followed the copper directions to the letter and I mean to the letter never allowing it to drop below therapeutic levels you might be ICH free.
There are some strains of ICH that have built up an immunity and require higher levels of copper and longer durations are needed.

All that said once 100% of the copper is out of the QT I recommend a full 30 days of observation for a reoccurrence before I would transfer him to the DT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no carbon running, copper treatment was maintained since starting, I think it's from the copper exposure, it's eaten well the whole time in QT, Nori, frozen algae, mysis shrimp

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no carbon running, copper treatment was maintained since starting, I think it's from the copper exposure, it's eaten well the whole time in QT, Nori, frozen algae, mysis shrimp
I'm embarrassed to say that my 15 year old purple tang has been in copper treatment more times than I would like to admit. But every time he is in copper, he gets HLLE. Eats fine while in copper, the exact same meals he eats when in my tank, but still gets HLLE in copper. As soon as the copper treatment is done, the HLLE goes away. So I would strongly suspect the copper as well. And as long as he's eating, I wouldn't worry about the HLLE too much.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm embarrassed to say that my 15 year old purple tang has been in copper treatment more times than I would like to admit. But every time he is in copper, he gets HLLE. Eats fine while in copper, the exact same meals he eats when in my tank, but still gets HLLE in copper. As soon as the copper treatment is done, the HLLE goes away. So I would strongly suspect the copper as well. And as long as he's eating, I wouldn't worry about the HLLE too much.
Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back