Space between light and canopy

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously considering 2 AP9X lights for my 60"L x24T"x 18"D acrylic tank. My question is as follows: What is the minimum distance required between the top of the lamp and the underside of the canopy. My canopy is 12" but 10" is really what I have to deal with. The canopy is open back. I can route cooling vents in the top of the canopy if needed or add a cooling fan. Tank will be Soft and LPS coral.

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AP9x's over mine, wee longer than yours. Not in a canopy but I just checked the manual and it doesn't have a minimum clearance. I can tell you it is likely minimal - the fan on top vents out the sides so only consideration seems would be heat and dust build up. Again mine are open so no heat nor dust but it looks like you could build them pretty snug in a canopy.

OP
OP
R

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben, Thank you for responding. I also checked the manual and didn't see a recommended or minimum distance. I didn't know that the light vents out the side so that is a plus.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need only about an inch from the top of the light to the underside of the canopy, as the light vents air out of the side (as has been mentioned).

The more important part is making sure that the canopy itself is vented well - perhaps a small fan to vent air out the sides, etc. The cooler (and less humid) the air in the canopy is, the better the light will perform.

OP
OP
R

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil, Thanks for responding. The canopy has an open back and I plan to add a fan that is temperature driven. As I mentioned, I wasn't aware that the lights vented from the sides. I just assumed they were venting from the top.

gingergiant17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need only about an inch from the top of the light to the underside of the canopy, as the light vents air out of the side (as has been mentioned).

The more important part is making sure that the canopy itself is vented well - perhaps a small fan to vent air out the sides, etc. The cooler (and less humid) the air in the canopy is, the better the light will perform.
What is the distance between the lights on the individual unit?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back