OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was disappointing, our shrimp was not molting he was fading.... Apparently I dipped our new coral to add to our tank one piece being an encrusted rock. I thoroughly rinsed the coral before putting it in the tank but did not consider the porous rock as i rinised the surface. The rock must have taken some of the dip in the tank with it and the shrimp paid the price for my mistake. Everyone else seems fine and happy. I broke the news to my students this morning. Although we are all a bit saddened we are developing a step by step procedure for adding things to the tank to ensure this never happens again. we are also adding a bag of charcoal to the filtration to help remove any residual chemicals in tank and doing a water change today, and again in about 3 days before adding a new shrimp. Question how will water change this soon after being added affect the corals added saturday and yesterday.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as salinity and ph are matched, you should be fine. Also watch dkh doesn't increase to much with water change

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks we always make sure the salinity in the new water is the same as in the tank before doing the change. I've never checked PH in the new water. hadn't thought of that but the tank has maintained between 8.0-8.2 consistently.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as ph doesn't change too rapidly, you'll be fine. Most salt mix is around that so you should be ok

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with that has already been said. The carbon will take care of any left over chemicals.

Your students need to understand that things die, sometimes without any noticable reason, they (we) are trying the recreate a very complex and big eco system in a very small box. It is not easy.

The creatures we put into our ecosystem are all animals, some are healthier and hardier than others, also we generally do not know a great deal about how they were handled or the conditions ther were under before they came into our care.

We hopefully do the best that we are able to do to provide a quality enviroment for the animals to live and thrive in.

Success is measured in days, weeks, months and years, failure is an oppertunity to learn what we did wrong.

hecterma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with that has already been said. The carbon will take care of any left over chemicals.

Your students need to understand that things die, sometimes without any noticable reason, they (we) are trying the recreate a very complex and big eco system in a very small box. It is not easy.

The creatures we put into our ecosystem are all animals, some are healthier and hardier than others, also we generally do not know a great deal about how they were handled or the conditions ther were under before they came into our care.

We hopefully do the best that we are able to do to provide a quality enviroment for the animals to live and thrive in.

Success is measured in days, weeks, months and years, failure is an oppertunity to learn what we did wrong.
What a beautiful speech! [emoji122]I couldn't have said it better myself.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEEK 9 UPDATE:

Thought I would show a nice picture of our classroom tank as we close out week 9 and head into week 10 of the build. I am not sure if we have started moving too fast, we all ( Me and my students) are chopping at the bit to get his tank filled but at the same time budget and caution work together to hold us off. We have received many generous donations from this community in the set up process thus far and are very grateful to you all,both for the physical equipment and supplies and the knowledge and sound advice.

We have had some excitement and disappointment along the way, We had and lost due to a mistake in application a really cool Banded Coral Shrimp. We also had a Diamond Watchman Goby go missing. Haven't seen him in over a week? Tank Parameters are stable so we don't believe he is dead in the tank, but have no Idea where he may be.

We have also been contacted by a local reefer who may or may not be a member here (not sure) and given several coral ( a Toxic green hammer coral with two heads, a couple "sticks" of GSP, a couple BTA Anemones, a cool little mushroom, and a rock covered in a different type of mushroom and some older zoas. We also stopped by a Frag Swap and were given a very cool little colony of Zoas and met up later and were given a Kenya Tree and a cool red macro algae. Thanks "Coral Syndicate"

Our project has a way to go and the students and I are constantly learning and planning. we are however right now holding where we are and seeing how the guys in the tank now progress.

IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2118.JPG

ZOAS
IMG_2163.JPG

KENYA TREE
IMG_2160.JPG

Neat little Red "Fern" Algae

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to make a suggestion about the GSP. You might want to put it on it's own island off of the main rock structure. It can, and does, spread and is hard to get off the rock. If it is on an island you can carefully trim it to keep it in check.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to make a suggestion about the GSP. You might want to put it on it's own island off of the main rock structure. It can, and does, spread and is hard to get off the rock. If it is on an island you can carefully trim it to keep it in check.

Agreed. Get that off your rocks ASAP. It will spread like a wildfire.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Get that off your rocks ASAP. It will spread like a wildfire.

I thought so... honestly when I got it I thought it was a devils hand frag so glued it standing up. I’ve thought I’d like to lay it flat on a rock and make a little “yard” I was thinking I’d let it settle in a bit before disturbing it again. Is that not required?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I challenge you to kill that GSP frag, it's nearly impossible.

That's kind of what I did. I have a patch in front of my rocks.
20180326_214610.jpg

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2711831a0b340553585b05e1f870db3b.jpg
8bfd3124eb33551c904bf1a6620e6320.jpg

Ok I took your advice and within 10 minutes they were peeking back out... dirt time ever doing this and I don’t think I was very Gentle... these guys must be tough

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can really take a beating :) They are also a good sign of water quality, from what I have heard. They are the 1st to close up if something is not right. But they also do it from time to time.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8479cefbd9964a8a3ba04775ce744596.jpg

Finally saw the tank under blue lights today... stupid Question, but I know corals and fish don’t have watches. Can I alter the settings so that the blue lights come on while
Kids are at school so they can see and white lights are no alternate or just time maybe so blue lights switch on during day???? Will the change cause problems?

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d85e07a60f5ee66d6f4f39f5652b5d16.jpg

Algae is really kicking this morning, should I do something?

6ba6c8d563661ad6eb1f8ad06740bca9.jpg

This also appeared over weekend on back wall... is it a snail trail or is it something else

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get the sand stirred up a bit. How much are you feeding? It may be time to back it off a smidge to let the biological filter catch up. Also did you go zero to full schedule on your lights? I recall the same thing happened to me. I had to revert back to no lights then turn them on and add to the schedule weekly a little at a time. Copper banded coral shrimp looking good!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back