OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rodg139 I actually removed my chempure entirely from the system. It was working exactly as it is supposed to but in a newer (under two years old) tank I found out that is bad :). It ran to good and dropped my phosphates to zero and nitrates to near zero. This setup the environment for an algae bloom (and a good environment for potentially dinos :O). Once I pulled the chempure and replaced with it with a good carbon bag it cleared up in just a day or so. I still get algae\diatoms on the sandbed but very little on my glass. I also added some filter floss like pad to my media tower to pull bits and chunks out of the water. It seems to also grab some of the algae but not as much as the carbon.

I add a few pictures. I haven’t cleaned the glass today. You can see just a light dusting. However the water is still super clear.

B324C766-C2B4-4983-8B81-4318DB00BD90.jpeg 6E4340C0-94AB-43BF-A26E-A34D8999C900.jpeg 20B6D1EC-056F-4A06-A6A5-DCDDEFEC2F1C.jpeg 871E1E45-08D7-4034-903E-64414DDBA175.jpeg

I like your rock work. I want to change mine not really sure I’m in love with my aquascape.
1577c0764106bd59c9648630e954a189.jpg
35274108bdb33a73f618203840cb2e09.jpg

Then that is a great aquascape for the tank. I would just add more focus corals on one side vs the other. The reef itself looks fantastic. (I regret mucking with my first aquascape

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I
May flip flop on my opinion of the calcium tester. I decided to test again today using the methods I setup previous tests (and using tips from reef2reef). I got a spot on test (last 4 or 5 have been) but in about half the time it took me to do the RedSea titration test. A quick easy to reproduce test is worth the cost difference to me.

My testing setup
  1. Cuvette is cleaned with vinegar and water then rinsed in steam distilled water.
  2. Cuvette is fully dry before testing. (made a crude drying rack, cuvette is off the wood)
  3. I used a dedicated syringe for distilled water to dilute the reagent.
  4. I used a dedicated syringes for reagent and for sample water (marked with R and S)
Testing
  1. I cut the packet on the line forming the funnel when opened (works like a champ).
  2. Make sure cuvette is fingerprint, scratch, bubble and debris free when filled and before putting into tester.
  3. Put the 10ml mark forward.
  4. Run test as instructed.
Lets see if I can get accurate results going forward. If it is quick and close I will be happy again.
50F6C395-67DA-45B4-AECD-778BE6209C96.jpeg

I liked the setup so I decided to extend it to the phosphate test.

The big difference is the dedicated 10ml syringe for the sample water (labeled TANK).
EF283EDB-59A1-4F1E-9579-00B89D3263FA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little board (Still healing from gallbladder surgery). I decided to work on simplifying my water changes. Previously I built a rig with a Syncra Silent 1.0 pump and some tubing that I can drop in my bucket of clean water and fill my tank. It has made filling stupid easy. I don't know how I lived without it.

9699BB8F-0544-4717-835E-806E2B2D488F.jpeg

I decided to do something similar with the Drain. I wanted something I could start the syphon and let it go and it will stop at 4.5 gallons water. Using 1/2" PEX tubing (its about $2) and some 90 deg elbows. I made a hook I can put over the side, drained 5 gallons of tank water and marked the waterline on the tube. I then cut it to length. Once I started the syphon the water would run down the tube into the bucket until the water level was below the end of the tube breaking the syphon. Since I cut the tube at my desired water height it will break at 4.5 gallons. To make things easier I got a gravel cleaner with a bulb to start the syphon and attached it to the drain tube. Now I just hang the drain on the side of the tank and put the other into mu bucket. one squeeze on the bulb and let it go. (I can still used the gravel vac if needed)

IMG_8128.JPG

8D0165AB-F800-40C2-943F-7F8E4A126BC3.jpeg

Last edited:

dtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding your posts a great source of information as have just got the e170 myself and keen on getting an auto top off setup thanks for all the detailed info. One question on your skimmer is it noisy mine seems to be very loud most of it coming from the pump and vibration have you any tips or is yours quiet?

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding your posts a great source of information as have just got the e170 myself and keen on getting an auto top off setup thanks for all the detailed info. One question on your skimmer is it noisy mine seems to be very loud most of it coming from the pump and vibration have you any tips or is yours quiet?

Wow thanks for the great feedback.
My skimmer isn't silent but not really noisily. Check two spots. 1) The air intake. I took the valve out and use the gate to control the flow. I found once the skimmer broke in I didn't need it (instructions say the same). 2) Make sure the cord is not pinned and exits out by the light mount. 3) check the skimmer collection cup is seated. I empty mine everyday and get some loud vibration if it is not seated (or the cover is not closed all the way).

I have a few videos posted and my skimmer is on in them. its not very loud.

dtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for the great feedback.
My skimmer isn't silent but not really noisily. Check two spots. 1) The air intake. I took the valve out and use the gate to control the flow. I found once the skimmer broke in I didn't need it (instructions say the same). 2) Make sure the cord is not pinned and exits out by the light mount. 3) check the skimmer collection cup is seated. I empty mine everyday and get some loud vibration if it is not seated (or the cover is not closed all the way).

I have a few videos posted and my skimmer is on in them. its not very loud.
Great thanks for the advice I'll check all of these things, the tank was second hand and think the noise might be coming from the pump and vibrations so could well be the cord. I might also try and see if all else fails to see if I can use a spare dc pump I have to see if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s lesson learned:
New tank hygiene protocols going into practice. I was very busy using way to much glue, in an attempt to glue my new frags onto the live rock. To do that I had my arm in the tank much more than I normally would. I washed with soap and water when I was done. Later that night I noticed bumps on my arms. it looks like a bit of a rash.

The funny part is I was tanking with another reefer last week about how he was sensitive to the bacteria in the water. It caused a rash with bumps. Sounds a lot like this. (It most certainly could be the salts in the water as well). Either way. I am now going to use long gloves with anything other than a quick reach in (like to get my thermometer). I wonder how common this is.

81EaiO9q+FL._AC_UL480_QL65_.jpg

Rash\bumps are on my arm not my hands or anywhere else. I had latex gloves on
36471E2A-6587-4631-AF8E-35D8B3B73395.jpeg

Color adjusted
2BE7478F-FFCC-47C7-8464-F8056C363EE9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing PH
I'm still a bit bored so I decided to do what I wasn't gong to do and chase PH. Actually I have corals now so I am looking at the ph a bit.

My average PH is about 7.9. I get swings as low as 7.8 and spikes as high as 8.1 but mostly it sits at 7.9. It really seams to be independent of any other parameters (with exception of alkalinity) that have remained pretty constant. It is also indifferent to the salinity since I bumped mine up from 33 to 35ppt. I can measure morning an night and I get perhaps a 0.1 difference (night is higher).

My Alkalinity ranged from 7.3 to 7.6 quite a bit low so I added some Kent superbuffer dKh hoping to raise and stabilize them both a bit. works I got myDkh up to about 8.5 - 9.5 its stabilizing at about 9. However my hardness is still lagging. After dosing I seen the ph get to about 7.9 - 8.0. sooo I thought I would try an experiment. I ran a 1/2 tube out my window can connected it to the skimmer intake (didn't need to adjust my skimmer so I can see it is large enough). I want to see if there is a noticeable change in ph hardness over 3 days. If there is a significant improvement, I will work on a more permanent solution like a scrubber or a PEX tube running under the floor.

1ade7e50dcd79218ee249b21eb423be1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting day today.

I got the jewel of my tank. I am in the process of floating two skunk cleaner shrimp. These guys are the primary reason I got a saltwater aquarium. I fell in love with them many moons back when I went into my LFS with my daughter.

528AD0C1-FD5B-4CC5-844D-D1E1E71CEF7F.jpeg

1AC4E8BC-7FAA-465F-A7C2-3430F36E4347.jpeg

I also got a White Banded Possum Wrasse. The LFS has a holiday deal of buy two get one free. I didn’t want to pass that up. This little lady caught my eye. I didn’t research them and went on the LFS Information that they are very shy and gentle. If so she will make a great fit in out tank. It was kinda a risk.
B9B364B5-C123-4C50-96AC-58D7B6E0D9CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Dub_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching my cleaner shrimp. As you can see from my avatar I have to of the fire shrimp. And then I also have a couple of the generic cleaner shrimps.

I've never had an Opossum Wrasse. It will be interesting to see how it does in your tank.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change worked out super good. Not a drop spilled and I think I got a very small amount on my glass. It took me less than 10min total to change the water. I added perhaps 10 more cleaning the work area but could have gotten away without doing that. The clean water setup doesn’t disturb anything when filling.

Dirty water in the orange and clean in the white. I will use two white buckets next week to compare the water colors. If it is yellow/green then its time to change the carbon. I can’t dump down the toilet due to the septic. I’m making an extension for the drain to just run outside.
26CCE741-942A-4236-B5F8-1022D7F35D86.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learned today.

Remove your clip on fan before working in in your tank. It will think it is fun and jump in the water to play with the fish. Then it won’t want to go back to work again. Hope amazon still has my order. The tank got up to 81F before I shut off the light.

C58580F1-57CC-4256-8812-F1ABC8640B03.jpeg

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have my first sick fish. She was literally stuck to my skimmer combs after feeding. I thoughts she was dead but when I pushed her off she swam away. I suspect she got to close and got stuck. She was exhausted when I found her an hour later. I put her in the acclimation box and shut off the lights to let her rest tonight. Hopefully she is alive in The morning.

7D4984B8-B7D5-4C1E-8168-5B9A332DD8E9.jpeg

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a couple of updates.
  1. I purchased a python extension hose so I can now just run the drain outside when changing water. The folks at the fish store said the python fitting wont fit on standard 5/8" (1/2" ID) airline tube its to thick. I know a trick just heat the tube up and then it can stretch and mold to the fitting. Worked like a champ. now I can use my generic vacuum with the python hose. One thing to note the python tube unrolls and lays flat. the generic stuff wants to stay in a coil. This is why I spent the $28 for the genuine stuff vs $9 for the same length of generic stuff at Lowes. Another thing noteworthy. If you ever drank off a hose in the summer and it tasted nasty you now know what the generic Lowes \ home depot stuff must be doing to your water if used to fill the tank. In my case I am only draining water not filling so I don't care.
  2. My molly is still kicking and I released her from the acclimation tank. Unfortunately she likes to hang around near the skimmer combs. I will not be surprised if she is there later. UPDATE: She is in the quarantine tank. Hopefully a small vacation will perk her up. I think she just isn't going to make it long term.
  3. The PH experiment is now coming to an end. I ran an airline to my skimmer to see if fresh air would raise my ph a bit. I was encouraged at first with an 8.1 but later realized I took the measurement late at night at the end of my lighting schedule. When I measure it at my normal times it was unchanged. I imagine it would be better in the winter but talking with others with the same tank, they all said it didn't make much of a difference to them either. I the positive I did get was it quieted it down even more and my skimmer worked better. I may look into that a bit more later this week. I suspect it is due to air restriction (smaller bubbles) more than air content. Down the line when my corals are sucking up more CO2 (making bigger PH swings at night). I may look into one of these. I really am getting super interested in macro algae and their role in nutrient control as well as PH stability.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I expected this to happen but it is kind of unsettling when it does. I was looking at my tank and apparently my cleaner shrimp molted because the husk just floated by the front and then around and back into the rocks. Just seemed very weird to see the entire shape of the shrimp float by.
As for cleaning it, I am not sure if I should fish it out or just let the CUC try and eat it. I don't even know if it is edible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back