Which to Add First?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I recently finalized my stocking list and was wondering the order of which I should add them. Right now I only have 2 clowns in my 55 gallon. Any help would be appreciated! Here is the list:

2 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Fire Fish
1 Lawnmowers Blenny
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Dusky Margined Wrasse
1 Violet Hamlet
1 Yellow Tang

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your list...its exactly what I want too....

For the mandarin...you'll want to wait and mature your tank a bit.....I want one so bad but I have read it's better for them to have an established tank.

I currently have 2 clowns, 1 ywg and 2 cardinals......I added the fish in that order.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things about the list in general
not sure what is meant by violet hamlet but if it is a blue hamlet they can eat smaller fish like firefish im pretty sure.
Yellow tang should not be in a 55 gallon so i would remove that from the list

sixline wrasses I dont personally like as the only one i tried started nipping fins of every fish so if you do decide to add it should go last but there are other small wrasse options like tanakas or yellow line as well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your list...its exactly what I want too....

For the mandarin...you'll want to wait and mature your tank a bit.....I want one so bad but I have read it's better for them to have an established tank.

I currently have 2 clowns, 1 ywg and 2 cardinals......I added the fish in that order.
Ok! Other than the Mandarin does it matter which I add next?

Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Sixline will probably cause drama with the Dusky. It will probably cause drama with everyone added after it. Tbh, I’d consider adding a more peaceful species (or genus).

For fish with similar shapes, introduce the more docile species first. So, firefish > gramma.

For grazers (b/c they cause a lot drama between themselves), the lawnmower should be added before the yellow tang. Once established, lawnmowers also don’t take nicely to other blennies.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sixline will probably cause drama with the Dusky. It will probably cause drama with everyone added after it. Tbh, I’d consider adding a more peaceful species (or genus).

For fish with similar shapes, introduce the more docile species first. So, firefish > gramma.

For grazers (b/c they cause a lot drama between themselves), the lawnmower should be added before the yellow tang. Once established, lawnmowers also don’t take nicely to other blennies.
Ok! Do you have any suggestion for a more peaceful Wrasse?

Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok! Do you have any suggestion for a more peaceful Wrasse?

The Wrasse Guy is a pretty comprehensive resource on reef safe wrasse selection.

Anything from the Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus genuses would be ideal for a 55 (so many options in the former too). If you’re looking for an affordable fairy wrasse, Lubbock’s wrasses are wonderful, the ones from Cebu are particularly striking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wrasse Guy is a pretty comprehensive resource on reef safe wrasse selection.

Anything from the Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus genuses would be ideal for a 55 (so many options in the former too). If you’re looking for an affordable fairy wrasse, Lubbock’s wrasses are wonderful, the ones from Cebu are particularly striking.
Thanks! The Lubbock's wrasse is beautiful! No more 6 line. Will replace it with the Lubbock's. Any opinion on adding order?

Upvote 0

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as the wrasses are concerned, I think you’re good. Lubbock’s are very peaceful (from my experience). You might want to add the Lubbock’s first, but I’m not experienced keeping Halichoeres wrasses.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, I got some advice like introduce the more docile species first, but is there a specific list of adding? For example,

1. Bangaii Cardnalfish
2. Lubbock’s Wrasse.
Etc.

Updated list is:
2 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
1 Fire Fish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Dusky Margined Wrasse
1 Violet Hamlet
1 Yellow Tang

Upvote 0

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have stated...

No Yellow tang in a 55 gallon tank...
No Six-Line Wrasse - they are mean little buggers - and they cannot be kept with a Mandarin Goby...
No Mandarin Goby - they require a very well established tank with a lot of live rock...

The Dusky Wrasse really requires a larger tank - one with PLENTY of open swimming room and at least 2 inches of sand...

You will also need to keep some sort of top/lid on your tank...

Upvote 0

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One , look to see how big the fish gets full grown with a 55 you are good for 11 inches of fish full grown. If you go over that then you will have to do bigger water changes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have stated...

No Yellow tang in a 55 gallon tank...
No Six-Line Wrasse - they are mean little buggers - and they cannot be kept with a Mandarin Goby...
No Mandarin Goby - they require a very well established tank with a lot of live rock...

The Dusky Wrasse really requires a larger tank - one with PLENTY of open swimming room and at least 2 inches of sand...

You will also need to keep some sort of top/lid on your tank...
How many pounds of rock would you recommend for the mandarin? My tank meets the requirements for the Dusky, as I have everything that you said. I switched the 6 line to a Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse.

Upvote 0

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manderins only eat pods so you need a lot of them . I do not think a 55 will be big anouph for the rock you need . Get a subscription with algea barn and have them send pods. I put pods in before I put fish in . But I have a 125 gallon. With 130 pounds of live rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manderins only eat pods so you need a lot of them . I do not think a 55 will be big anouph for the rock you need . Get a subscription with algea barn and have them send pods. I put pods in before I put fish in . But I have a 125 gallon. With 130 pounds of live rock.
Ok, any alternatives for the mandarin?

Upvote 0

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, any alternatives for the mandarin?
depends what you are looking for.

As others have said, don't put a yellow tang in a 55 gallon. You will be in for a bad time

For wrasse, I have a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse, Yellow Coris Wrasse, and a Pink Streak Wrasse all together and they do fine. Added them all at once for what it's worth.

Also have 2 clowns, a filefish, a royal gramma, and a lawnmower blenny. All are doing great

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back