Will My Stand Hold Up?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you clarified that wasn’t a cad drawing.
No problem, just didn't want anyone to interpolate the image and use it as a 1:1 reference.
Big Brain Meme GIF by Bayer 04 Leverkusen

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You dont need the x beams or the triangulation. The tieing everything at the bottom and if you would like to add gussets for added rigidity it wont hurt.

basically you are just trying to keep the legs tied together so they stay put.

most people will over engineer it but you wont have big side loads, maybe just a little bump here or there. If you had kids body slamming it all day then maybe……

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need the x beams or the triangulation. The tieing everything at the bottom and if you would like to add gussets for added rigidity it wont hurt.

basically you are just trying to keep the legs tied together so they stay put.

most people will over engineer it but you wont have big side loads, maybe just a little bump here or there. If you had kids body slamming it all day then maybe……
I had to do similar with my stand I the back. You would be surprised how often it gets nocked or get side push. Yes I have a little child to added “support “

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom definitely needs supporting like the top in your picture provided, the legs will open/ splay out/ will just split like a gymnast, turn this picture upside down then ask if it can support your aquarium, turn this structure upside down then ask yourself, could this support my aquarium, load bearing is your aquarium, weight bearing is support
Good point. Thanks!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for this. This is very informative. I will push for gussets as well as the leg tie. The adjustable feet will be sitting on LVP vinyl floor in my basement. So I don’t think there’s too much to worry about for support, other than indentions in the vinyl, correct?
The feet should be no problem on vinyl over concrete. Just use large enough feet to avoid pressure concentrations.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feet should be no problem on vinyl over concrete. Just use large enough feet to avoid pressure concentrations.
I got the bottom tied in. I am sincerely considering killing the idea of the adjustable feet. The feet I have on it are only rated at about 400 pounds each. I’m not sure how accurate that is. I’m considering removing the adjustable feet and shimming the metal feet

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CROSS SUPPORT!
Though it would be extra security and probably a good idea for such an expensive investment, it may not be necessary in this case.
Using 2" tubes welded together will provide a fair amount of moment support, likely more than enough for a factor of safety with such light side-load or moments expected for this application.

I personally would probably have at least added gussets in some corners, but I still think the stand should work as-is (unless it suffers an earthquake, maybe).

...and, as an engineer, I still hate to see support structures with only rectangle profiles even though I know that welded steel can still provide side-load moment resistance.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it would be extra security and probably a good idea for such an expensive investment, it may not be necessary in this case.
Using 2" tubes welded together will provide a fair amount of moment support, likely more than enough for a factor of safety with such light side-load or moments expected for this application.

I personally would probably have at least added gussets in some corners, but I still think the stand should work as-is (unless it suffers an earthquake, maybe).

...and, as an engineer, I still hate to see support structures with only rectangle profiles even though I know that welded steel can still provide side-load moment resistance.
Well, since it’s 2” steel, it’s essentially 2” gussets, right? ;)

I’m like you - I don’t have a good feel for how much a properly welded 2” steel frame can support, but I’d prefer some sort of gussets. I didn’t see if the OP was planning on skinning the stand or not, but. Piece of 1/4” Plywood screwed to the legs would provide plenty of bracing.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m like you - I don’t have a good feel for how much a properly welded 2” steel frame can support, but I’d prefer some sort of gussets. I didn’t see if the OP was planning on skinning the stand or not, but. Piece of 1/4” Plywood screwed to the legs would provide plenty of bracing.
Yes, in a sense, the welded tubes act like 2" gussets, though technically it is more complicated. For this application, I think the '2-inch gusset' idea works well enough for an assumption. The stand should easily support the weight load causing extra gussets to just be extra security with little input cost.

Plywood skin could act as a gusset for bracing if properly framed/designed.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

can you explain what you mean? What if I fixed the stand to drywall studs?

The stand seems extremely sturdy, but I understand 3,000lbs on it will be much different than no weight.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you explain what you mean? What if I fixed the stand to drywall studs?

The stand seems extremely sturdy, but I understand 3,000lbs on it will be much different than no weight.
I don't mean to jump in ahead of or answer for @Sleepydoc , but I am quite certain the intention of the comment was that adding a plywood skin around the steel stand to cover the steel in a wood-type aesthetic would give some gusseting strength by the plywood itself.

If you fixed the stand to drywall studs, this would be similar to gusseting but is probably not recommendable since it is insignificant enough strength to be an unnecessary complication being attached to the wall. Drywall studs would not do much in terms of gusset strength for the stand.

If you wanted any gussets, my recommendation would easily be for trapezoidal gussets in the corners at the leg tops under the top-surface frame. These could either be 1/8" to 1/4" flat sheet/bar pieces about 2" wide and 3-6" long welded inside one leg tube surface and up to the bottom of the top frame or square tube (1-1/2" ideal, 2" works) mitered on both ends for the trapezoidal profile (about 4"-long on longest side) and welded in the same corners.

In this image, top frame is shown in green, leg in pink, and gusset in blue (either flat bar/plate/sheet or square tube).

1635446151737.png

I still think 2" square tube welded properly should not need gussets in your application, though they are a pretty simple and cheap insurance to prevent failure in support.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to jump in ahead of or answer for @Sleepydoc , but I am quite certain the intention of the comment was that adding a plywood skin around the steel stand to cover the steel in a wood-type aesthetic would give some gusseting strength by the plywood itself.

If you fixed the stand to drywall studs, this would be similar to gusseting but is probably not recommendable since it is insignificant enough strength to be an unnecessary complication being attached to the wall. Drywall studs would not do much in terms of gusset strength for the stand.

If you wanted any gussets, my recommendation would easily be for trapezoidal gussets in the corners at the leg tops under the top-surface frame. These could either be 1/8" to 1/4" flat sheet/bar pieces about 2" wide and 3-6" long welded inside one leg tube surface and up to the bottom of the top frame or square tube (1-1/2" ideal, 2" works) mitered on both ends for the trapezoidal profile (about 4"-long on longest side) and welded in the same corners.

In this image, top frame is shown in green, leg in pink, and gusset in blue (either flat bar/plate/sheet or square tube).

1635446151737.png

I still think 2" square tube welded properly should not need gussets in your application, though they are a pretty simple and cheap insurance to prevent failure in support.
Thank you for the response. I will see how sturdy the stand is with tank and water. If it seems to have any side to side movement I will find a new welder for gussets!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back