Bleaching need more light?

woodyetia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just started with these Corals as I was told they would be the easiest. Fish are doing great, levels are great. These pictures are from day 1, but now the ends and edges are turning white and they are not as green.

I’m thinking it’s the lighting not being strong enough or it’s the temp I keep it at 80. I currently have 1 Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 32 watts. I have a 65 gallon tank. Should I add another or add something else?

16714A9C-7892-4F82-8CD8-CE572BE59309.jpeg 680A0718-09F5-4D82-B77B-89E4301F6BE7.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell much from the very blue picture but since you said it's on the edge are you sure it isn't just new growth.
In the picture the left side kinda looks like possibly new growth, but I'm not as sure about the right side, it looks like its white farther down the coral, but again kinda hard to tell.

OP
OP
woodyetia

woodyetia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell much from the very blue picture but since you said it's on the edge are you sure it isn't just new growth.
In the picture the left side kinda looks like possibly new growth, but I'm not as sure about the right side, it looks like its white farther down the coral, but again kinda hard to tell.
Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 32 watts. If it’s new growth that’s great. I’ll get pics tomorrow under normal lighting.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 32 watts. If it’s new growth that’s great. I’ll get pics tomorrow under normal lighting.
For the part of the coral that is white (mainly looking at that right side) there isn't tissue coming off of the skeleton is there? Also after looking at that light online I really doubt it's well suited for a reef tank and even less so for SPS coral.
Light issues can cause bleaching but so can other things like parameter swings. Make sure your parameters are within an acceptable range and stable.
Also, I can't help but notice that the coral isn't green at all in the current picture. I'm assuming it's just the way it appears in the picture.

OP
OP
woodyetia

woodyetia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the part of the coral that is white (mainly looking at that right side) there isn't tissue coming off of the skeleton is there? Also after looking at that light online I really doubt it's well suited for a reef tank and even less so for SPS coral.
Light issues can cause bleaching but so can other things like parameter swings. Make sure your parameters are within an acceptable range and stable.
Also, I can't help but notice that the coral isn't green at all in the current picture. I'm assuming it's just the way it appears in the picture.
Thank you for the quick replies, these lights were cool looking but I was afraid they wouldn’t be strong enough but my LFS swore on them. The top picture coral is about 12 inches bellow the light.

The bottom picture the coral is actually red, it’s a montipora.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick replies, these lights were cool looking but I was afraid they wouldn’t be strong enough but my LFS swore on them. The top picture coral is about 12 inches bellow the light.

The bottom picture the coral is actually red, it’s a montipora.
Oh sorry I though they were pictures of the same coral, just from day 1 until now. I though it seemed like the shape was noticeably different on the second pic but I assumed maybe a different angle.

I can't say for a fact that the light is insufficient but I have my doubts. I have a tendency not to trust a stores opinion on an item that they're trying to sell me. Not that all lfs are misleading or just wrong, but it's often better to get the opinion of someone who has nothing to gain from your decision to buy an item. I'd suspect it would be hard to find anyone on this forum who would've recommended that light. Honestly I had never even heard of it.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There’s absolutely no way that you are providing too much light with that fixture in that big of tank. Especially at that depth. I’m sorry, but a 32w led panel light isn’t going to keep sps alive for very long. Does your LFS have a tank set up with sps and the light in question?
I do have a couple more questions though. What are your parameters? What fish do you have? Also, I would try to keep your temp a few degrees cooler, shoot for 78 if you can? How old is the tank? Did you start with dry rock?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of the time when people say their ‘levels are great’, they aren’t (I don’t say condescending, it’s usually something overlooked, having more than one set of eyes look at them is always a good thing, especially when you’re inexperienced). So, what are your specific parameters?

Your light is inadequate for all but the lowest light soft corals. It is absolutely not appropriate for SPS. I wouldn’t recommend adding a second one (unless you plan on only keeping low light softies and LPS), if you want to be able to keep pretty much anything (including the corals you already have), you’ll need better/more intense lighting. If you can give us the dimensions of your tank, we can give you some recommendations.

And lastly, I would stop taking advice from whoever told you that these were beginner or easy corals, and recommended them to you given your setup, they either have no idea what they’re talking about or they’re more interested in selling you something than the health of your tank and it’s inhabitants.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s absolutely no way that you are providing too much light with that fixture in that big of tank.
The OP seems to be aware of this. Their concern was that they weren't providing enough light for their corals, which we all know is probably true. The real question IMO should be is that the only issue.

I agree with @MaxTremors that you should probably post your parameters. Even though you say they're great it appears at you are fairly new to keeping a reef tank. Even though these corals may be easier as far as SPS IMO no SPS coral should be considered to be a beginner coral.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank will need at least two Kessil 360 if you went with that brand. Please post the following:

Age of tank
Water parameters and test kits used
Full tank shot

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of popbloom RS90'S in my 109 Gallon bow. I can't comment on if they are great growing lights as the tank and frags are new- but others here claim they're good, also 90W and very compact.

I can't see 32W being nearly enough, they will eventually starve from the lack of light.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put me in the “not enough light camp” as well. Probably not your only issue but will need to be addressed if you want to keep sps.

OP
OP
woodyetia

woodyetia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yes the lfs suggested these as beginners. Tanks been up almost a year. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. PH 7.8, Salinity 1.019, temp 80-80.5 I am keeping the salinity and temp where my lfs suggested to prevent parasites.

As far as fish I have two Mai Clowns, a gobby, and a fox face. I guess I’m not sure where the type of fish would play a role in the color?

As far as asking about lights I never thought I had too much lighting, I always figured not enough. I’ll get measurements when I get home of tank for light suggestions. So adding another light strip same as this one would be no help?

Attached are more photos from earlier with light on this is of the green ones. These are current the other pictures were when I first got them.

Attachments

• 1C7E660C-4AA8-4C3D-AF72-6F2F26EA6C29.jpeg
    1C7E660C-4AA8-4C3D-AF72-6F2F26EA6C29.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 55
  • 3D74A5CF-C758-4E1A-A498-9B4315BED79A.jpeg
    3D74A5CF-C758-4E1A-A498-9B4315BED79A.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 46

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yes the lfs suggested these as beginners. Tanks been up almost a year. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. PH 7.8, Salinity 1.019, temp 80-80.5 I am keeping the salinity and temp where my lfs suggested to prevent parasites.

As far as fish I have two Mai Clowns, a gobby, and a fox face. I guess I’m not sure where the type of fish would play a role in the color?

As far as asking about lights I never thought I had too much lighting, I always figured not enough. I’ll get measurements when I get home of tank for light suggestions. So adding another light strip same as this one would be no help?

Attached are more photos from earlier with light on this is of the green ones. These are current the other pictures were when I first got them.
Your salinity is too low. Hypo-salinity definitely works for keeping parasites at bay in a fish only system. Corals need higher salinity levels. Slowly raise it to 1.024-1.026.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also should raise your nitrates too IMO. If it were me I'd just buy a more appropriate light for your tank instead of just adding another one of them. Even a few black box lights would be better than what you're using.

Your corals definitely aren't doing well. The algea growing on the skeleton is never a good sign.

Back