Captive bred hosting?

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do captive bred Ocellaris clowns host anything? I can only think that they wouldn't, because they probably have no idea what the heck an anemone is. I have a bta and I've had it for 2+ weeks. I didn't get the anemone to host, just because I like them. Just wondering, thanks!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will host. It may take a little time and some persuasion. Try shooting food towards the anemone to see if the clowns approach it to grab food. Just be careful not to over do the feeding.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I've seen CB ocellaris host too.

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! That excites me. I'm glad to hear that. Do they prefer a diff anemone? I just heard that BTAs tend to be more forgiving, and tend to host better.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A carpet or Lt nem would also work, but I wouldn't mix them, and some clowns just don't care about hosting at all, or choose some coral like mushrooms, frogspawn, or sarcophyton, but I can't keep my maroon clowns away from thier red bubble tips, or put my hand in the tank without food of some kind as a peace offering.

RoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have captive bred picasso's (hosted by S. Gigantea) and platinum's (hosted by RBTA's). Both sets took to their anemones the day I put them in the tank. So they'll definately host if they decide to.

fragtastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E. quadricolor (BTA) anemones are not natural hosts for Ocellaris clowns. Whether an individual Ocellaris clownfish will ever host in one is very much hit or miss.

While there are other anemones that Ocellaris clowns take to more readily, their care requirements are much higher than BTAs and their long term success rates in captivity much lower.

I always recommend that anyone determined to keep hosting clownfish research the care requirements of any anemone they're considering purchasing first. Then, buy compatible clownfish. Done the other way around, many people end up with anemone they have little chance of sustaining and which may put many of the other inhabitants of their tanks at risk.

Cheers,

Mark

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back