Do you trust pre-QT'd fish?

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a hypo treatment for ich in my DT and I really don't want to ever do it again. But I do want to add more fish. I'm thinking about buying QT'd fish from Dr. Reef. But curious from people that buy pre-QT'd fish: do you fully trust that the fish you get are disease free? Have you ever had a suspect case of disease after introducing a fish from a pre-QT source? I'm considering observing the fish before putting in the DT, but seems like overkill and losing a lot of the convenience I would be paying for...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the fish come with a guarantee from that site.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing how stress from shipping, handling, and acclimating can happen easily, I won’t put any QT’ed or pre-conditioned fish into my DT. I always QT my own fish but I do get why ppl spend up to get these supposedly QT’ed fish. Not everyone has the space or energy to learn and do QT. The cost of a QT’ed fish has already paid for the cost of its replacement that’s why there is a business case. I do think that it’s important for all fish keepers to learn fish medication bc even QT’ed fish won’t be healthy forever.

Last edited:

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ich from Dr. Reef. I'm running ich management, so not a big deal for me, but I'd avoid them in case of velvet or something really nasty. FisHotel and Ocean Devotion La are supposed to be rock solid with their protocols, though they do have less availability and high prices.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a hypo treatment for ich in my DT and I really don't want to ever do it again. But I do want to add more fish. I'm thinking about buying QT'd fish from Dr. Reef. But curious from people that buy pre-QT'd fish: do you fully trust that the fish you get are disease free? Have you ever had a suspect case of disease after introducing a fish from a pre-QT source? I'm considering observing the fish before putting in the DT, but seems like overkill and losing a lot of the convenience I would be paying for...
You would be wise to still "Observe" new arrivals regardless of the guarantee of the qt process.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that, but then I was like why not also give a Cu power treatment myself if going to have a QT for observation already...
If you are buying from a supplier that has already treated the fish for 21-30 days, then you might just wait for a Cu treatment and proceed if needed. Not all suppliers that condition fish use copper, so if they do a tank transfer method, then I suppose Cu wouldn't hurt....you just have to acclimate the new fish to Cu slowly. I personally am a fan of Copper.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back