Fish ideas for shallow cube?

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shallow small tank (18x18x10") and am looking for ideas for 1 or 2 fish at most for it. My only criteria is that they won't stir up sand constantly and won't stay hidden all the time. Oh and preferably won't jump out as the top is open. I know the options are very few but was hoping someone here would have some ideas.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tailspot Blenny! Get some barnacles. They spend about 50/50 swimming and hunting from the barnacle.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot Blenny! Get some barnacles. They spend about 50/50 swimming and hunting from the barnacle.
Thanks for the response. Are they jumpers? For some reason I thought I've read that Benny's were jumpers.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is not. The small shallow tank mimics his natural habitat. He seems very happy in our little 8 gallon.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of personality. Octoreef makes screen tops for your tank. Look on the home page to find the thread.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check those out. Probably make a screen top if I have to considering I made the tank. Was hoping to not have to though but probably should.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaii cardinal, orange stripe cardinal. Any fish can jump though.
I was also considering a cardinal but had heard they don't like high current. I have Pretty good water movement in my tank. Do you know if that would be an issue?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also considering a cardinal but had heard they don't like high current. I have Pretty good water movement in my tank. Do you know if that would be an issue?
Bangaiis can handle pretty strong indirect current.

lombeard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Are they jumpers? For some reason I thought I've read that Benny's were jumpers.
Yes, they can jump. Honestly, all fish can and will most likely find a way out at some point. I've had the most unlikely fish jump in my shallow tank. Even if they appear to be fine, they can get startled and end up on the floor.

Fish suggestions;
Blue/Green Chromis - they're pretty standard fish but I like them.
Vanderbilt Chromis - something different in the Chromis family.
Starki Damselfish - IMO the most beautiful of the Damsels.
Springer Damselfish - again, lovely colours and pretty chilled for damsels.
If you're into Cardinals then the Longspine Cardinalfish are cool but a little fragile.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be better off putting a screen on top. That will give you a lot more choices. BRS sells a screen kit for a reasonable price.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can jump. Honestly, all fish can and will most likely find a way out at some point. I've had the most unlikely fish jump in my shallow tank. Even if they appear to be fine, they can get startled and end up on the floor.

Fish suggestions;
If you're into Cardinals then the Longspine Cardinalfish are cool but a little fragile.
I really do like the blue green chromis. Would a couple of them be too much for a small tank. Actually your username looks familiar, didn't you have a shallow tank with chromis in it on another forum? If its what im thinking I loved your tank!

Fish suggestions;

b_evans06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a tail spot blenny jump out of my 75g tank. Luckily caught it before it was too late. I have had good luck with a single chromis and a pair of clowns in my 20 long nano.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to keep the top of my tank open. I don't think it would look very good with a top. I've also considered a pair of clowns. I've heard stories of them jumping out as well though. I guess like they say all fish can jump out.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish, neon goby, Ocelaris clownfish, shrimp gobys, pajama cardinals, bangai Cardinals, chromis, yellowtail blue damselfish....

Any fish can jump if spooked enough. Their entire evolution has conditioned them to have the understanding that everything is water. Land is that stuff at the bottom of the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back