Flashing tilefish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a week to research these, I know I shouldn’t impulse buy however this was VERY since since I finally saw one flashing. I would like to know a few things about their care.
I know they NEED a lid (As with any fish like tilefish and wrasse) however, how often should they feed, is flashing a sign of stress, are they basically the same as other tilefish ect…
Those are a few example questions, just act like I’m new to fish (I’m new to these species of fish however have seen and had to care for purples and the regular blue heads when I was working at my LFS).
Here’s just one of the 4 colours this guy changed into:
8B8F9D9F-519C-4037-A2FD-F8798DAE62F7.jpeg

He went from electric blue to purple to yellow and then green.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a week to research these, I know I shouldn’t impulse buy however this was VERY since since I finally saw one flashing. I would like to know a few things about their care.
I know they NEED a lid (As with any fish like tilefish and wrasse) however, how often should they feed, is flashing a sign of stress, are they basically the same as other tilefish ect…
Those are a few example questions, just act like I’m new to fish (I’m new to these species of fish however have seen and had to care for purples and the regular blue heads when I was working at my LFS).
Here’s just one of the 4 colours this guy changed into:
8B8F9D9F-519C-4037-A2FD-F8798DAE62F7.jpeg

He went from electric blue to purple to yellow and then green.
Also, would they do better with another tilefish or could I add another tilefish in the future? I really want this guy to thrive in my tank so if anyone has any advice please let me know!!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about them, but an FB friend of mine, Joel Philips, that sells fish recently posted a video of a few he had for sale. I'd like to add one to my reef someday as well, but want to wait until I'm confident in my recent upgrade and have my basement reorganized to have some QT space.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
long term success with these guys is extremely difficult…
especially when they’re added after other fish have been added to the system.

the few people that succeed in keeping them
generally add them first to the system,
in pairs or trios.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long term success with these guys is extremely difficult…
especially when they’re added after other fish have been added to the system.

the few people that succeed in keeping them
generally add them first to the system,
in pairs or trios.
Yeah, I hope it goes well. I know this guy has been in the LFS for 3 weeks or so, so hopefully he’s acclimated to captivity a bit better than most would be. The issue is I can’t get 1 or 2 more since we don’t know if that was the last one of this season or not so I may have to wait until next year and even then collection of these guys is sparse so it’s not 100% certain I’d get another.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could wait for a more easy and known success rated tilefish however, I’d rather try and help improve the success rate with these guys because I feel like they get a bad reputation for being “Expert level” fish when everything I’ve read is just how they’re difficult to acclimate and feed. So these guys seem more like CBBs in terms of care level and I have one thriving in my tank with a radiant wrasse. So are these fish truly impossible to keep long term? Or are they just the same as CBBs and Radiant wrasses with DOA 80% of the time and then 10% of them being hard to get feeding?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the LFS that has them in cellarmarine i know they had 1 in
In the UK it’s reefdreams but I’m unsure about if other LFS’s have them in. I only know that the one I’ve reserved is possibly the last one to hit UK markets this season.
So after doing more reasearch (Because the only bit I can find at the minute is flashing and jumping) I’ve found that these fish flash to communicate when in groups or pairs. I’m wondering if they do this around other tiles and not just their own species?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be better starting him in my nano tank, although I may not be able to upgrade that tank for a few years so if he has a fast growth rate it may have the time of transition to the 4’ tank.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I did it and went for it in hopes to get him to survive. If he does I may try a marcosi tilefish (Hoplolatilus marcosi) here’s a photo of my guy, nobody has gone up to beat on the bag yet so I’m hoping it’s a calm introduction and nobody cares about food competition.
image.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back