Lopezag1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:)
I have a new Red Sea 425xl up and running. Been cycled for a while and already have a decent stock in the tank. Recently added 15 corals and have a question on flow.
I really want this to be a mixed reef but I read so many different things about flow. I’ve seen up to x80+ In some places. Down to x40+.
Currently I have a vectra and two mp40’s in a 88 gallon display. Ofc vectra is in the approx 26 gallon sump. So I have the power to do anything.
Im running my vectra return pump at 100% so roughly 17x total tank volume per hour.
My MP40’s I have on reef crest at 40% (2742gph) and lagoon at night at 30%.
If calculating just the display and the gph the Mobius app gives me I’m at 85x turn over in the 88gallon display.
Whats ideal for a mixed reef? I do have one single acro currently. Defiantly want to add more. Rest is gsp, torches, hammers, ricordia, alveo, and anems.
Ive placed things where it doesn’t seem anyone is getting beat up by flow right now but as I add more I can see being limited by my locations if sticking with softies.
So should I turn down everything even more....? What’s the ideal flow for the display. Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two kinds of turnover - through the sump and inside the display. 17x through the sump is more than you need, but does no harm if that’s what you want. Dual MP40 on reefcrest seems fine as long as your corals don’t look like they’re being stripped from the substrate.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back