How did you secure your rockwork?

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once $13 the other is $6. Looks to be the same thing.

image.jpeg

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my new build, I used Marco ECement from Marco Rocks, primarily due to some recommendations from locals, and the fact it does not seem to leach anything, need cured, or affect phosphates.

I did assemble in pieces outside of the tank, then cemented the bigger pieces together in the tank. I have a couple of verticla shelves that stick out quick a bit, that after a 60 minute cure (with support under them) never moved since.

20c26cde107e6d9a86d1760a5df37eef.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity.

I wanted everything to be naturally secure, and able to be taken out if necessary. I have used bits of JB Weld to make pieces -- Such as a thin shelf I broke up, I used 2-3 pieces to make a unique shelf / cave for my tank, that wouldn't have fit before. That one piece may be held together with JB Weld, but it is yet again sitting at it's destination via gravity.

Nothing wrong with any other way of doing it -- I just needed a no BS way to take it down in case of some type of emergency.

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Marco rods and bolts drilled through the rock and Marco cement for stacking, my scape is rock solid and I have no fear of upset when moving cutting and maintaining

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strongly suggest you avoid zip ties. In saltwater they'll eventually get brittle and snap.

nickyeager

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with epoxy but realized after one stick it was too expensive for the amount i needed so instead I used this stone fix which i got a big jar for 15 bucks It's like non toxic underwater concrete. I connected 130 pounds of rock and only used half of the jar. Mixed it with some water made a ball and applied it in the water with fish. It clouded up the water but i did a 20% water change after and by the next day it was crystal clear again. I would suggest turning off your skimmer for 24 hours after or it will make it foam over. If you have the option use it out of the water for ease of use but i did not have that option.

1496450966266514197491.jpg

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity, stacked rock as 3 separate islands then stacked to connect. When I moved it did not really re-stack the way I wanted but was working with rocks that had corals encrusted. The biggest advantage in my opinion to using methods to glue rock is you can take smaller pieces and make them any shape and size you want. On larger tanks with larger pieces if they are glued who can lift the structure or want to even risk dropping say a 40+ pound rock structure. If they are glued in the display better hope you never have to tear it down unless the glued structures are kept in sizes easy to handle.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity, stacked rock as 3 separate islands then stacked to connect. When I moved it did not really re-stack the way I wanted but was working with rocks that had corals encrusted. The biggest advantage in my opinion to using methods to glue rock is you can take smaller pieces and make them any shape and size you want. On larger tanks with larger pieces if they are glued who can lift the structure or want to even risk dropping say a 40+ pound rock structure. If they are glued in the display better hope you never have to tear it down unless the glued structures are kept in sizes easy to handle.
That's why I like super glue with epoxy, if you really need to separate the rock all you need to do is twist a flat head screwdriver in between and they pop apart easily.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I like super glue with epoxy, if you really need to separate the rock all you need to do is twist a flat head screwdriver in between and they pop apart easily.
Which is ok if you are assembling in the display but I would not want to lift a heavy structure of multiple glued pieces into or out of the display that may come apart while moving it.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is ok if you are assembling in the display but I would not want to lift a heavy structure of multiple glued pieces into or out of the display that may come apart while moving it.
I guess that isn't completely common sense (I thought it was). Any rocks I glue are assembled in the display. Eggcrate on the glass, then base rock then glue any overhangs, then sand.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that isn't completely common sense (I thought it was). Any rocks I glue are assembled in the display. Eggcrate on the glass, then base rock then glue any overhangs, then sand.
well it would be common sense to us but then it again depends on rock structure size and complexity. If I had a 20 gallon cube I would build it outside the display and lift it in.

nickyeager

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have added that to my post. I did not cement a 72inch wide rockscape in one piece I did it in 4 sections that can easily be removed. I made sure to have none of the rock touching the front or the back to allow water flow and for easy removal of each section through the top.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have added that to my post. I did not cement a 72inch wide rockscape in one piece I did it in 4 sections that can easily be removed. I made sure to have none of the rock touching the front or the back to allow water flow and for easy removal of each section through the top.
yes I have lots of rock but I have as much room behind it as I do in front. The fish can swim around and through the rock. At night when the fish are a sleep they can be difficult to locate. I have thought about redoing the rock work but the coral are too encrusted. Another year or two it will be hard to tell that it is not one structure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back