0   0   0
i have invasive black sponge what will kill it

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock it’s on then you can scrape it off with a razor blade or knife. I had sponges on my live rock from the gulf that made it to me and survived. They were only covered in wet newspaper. I think they have to be exposed to air for a while before they die.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock it’s on then you can scrape it off with a razor blade or knife. I had sponges on my live rock from the gulf that made it to me and survived. They were only covered in wet newspaper. I think they have to be exposed to air for a while before they die.
Sponge is generally beneficial to our tanks. I went to great lengths to seed it when I started a tank with dry rock. Funny that people are trying to kill it

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sponge was bad news for my Zoas. Started smothering them. I cut what Zoas I could and put the rock outside. I have pink , green and white sponge all over my tank and never had a problem with those.
CE74ED94-27FD-4D76-B1A7-E556BD745718.png

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
n5.jpg

I've wondered about this stuff. Always thought was sponge but has numerous mouths like a tunicate. Also like most sponge my angels don't eat it. Its been on just this one rock for a long time and hasn't caused any problems. The RBTA's will sit right on top of it and it doesn't phase the shrooms.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge is generally beneficial to our tanks. I went to great lengths to seed it when I started a tank with dry rock. Funny that people are trying to kill it
I think the black one can smother things though. I have orange and yellow in my tank and hope it stays.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad sponge just about kill a very nice chalice of mine (might still die) I used a hypodermic seringe to inject it with h2o2 and elimi aptasia by tropic marine it has so far died back. Exposing it to air for extended periods of time did nothing and I'm starting to think air killing sponges is just a myth. Good luck

RimlessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expose to Air and dry out kills sponge but around the coral maybe try to remove with tip of a fork or tweezers

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Never heard of an invasive sponge. Sponges don’t like flow or air. You could dry the rock out a bit maybe or just increase the flow in your tank.

Incorrect. Sponges love flow. That's how they get their nutrients. Sponges are beneficial to coral reefs but they can also smother corals. I have personally seen a lavender colored sponge colony take over a friends tank to the point he had to remove everything and start over as nothing he tried worked to completely eliminate the sponge that had taken over all his rocks, overflow and even sump.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had black sponge killing zoas.

I had some cyano and I decided to take care of it with azythromicin. The sponge immediately turned light yellow and I am not sure if it's still alive. It's still in the same places but it's not growing and the zoas seem better. I touched it but it's not dissolving.

I monitored the ammonia with a Seneye and it didn't change during the treatment.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only thing that I have noticed to keep sponge in check has been one of it's natural predators in the wild. Angelfish. My flame angel keeps my beautiful blue and white sponges in check.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that I have noticed to keep sponge in check has been one of it's natural predators in the wild. Angelfish. My flame angel keeps my beautiful blue and white sponges in check.

I got 2 flames and 2 heraldis and none of them nips the black sponge.

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have blue , no problem. the black does not respond to air. it coats the rock like slime from the underside then kills zoasfor sure.

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sponge was bad news for my Zoas. Started smothering them. I cut what Zoas I could and put the rock outside. I have pink , green and white sponge all over my tank and never had a problem with those.
CE74ED94-27FD-4D76-B1A7-E556BD745718.png
thats it , it stays low and coats the rock and zoas

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try a tiger cowry... I had one eat a purple ball sponge that was four times his size.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back