How to replace a tank at the same spot

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a well used 90 (been running for 6months) that is not drilled and has a canister. But I just got a new 90 drilled and a sump. I want the tank still in the same spot. I am going to build a new stand for it as the current stand imo is to low.

But for the life of me can’t figure out how to do it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build your
I currently have a well used 90 (been running for 6months) that is not drilled and has a canister. But I just got a new 90 drilled and a sump. I want the tank still in the same spot. I am going to build a new stand for it as the current stand imo is to low.

But for the life of me can’t figure out how to do it.
Build your stand.
Get lots of buckets or trash cans for water.
Empty tank water into them, catch fish and put rocks into buckets/trash cans.
Slide out old tank, slide in New.
Add rocks, sand, water and fish.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally recommended to not transfer sand but in this case its only 6 mo old tank so there isn't years of accumulated organics lurking, I would consider just giving it a good rinse and reusing it.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally recommended to not transfer sand but in this case its only 6 mo old tank so there isn't years of accumulated organics lurking, I would consider just giving it a good rinse and reusing it.
Thanks. Yeah the sand has some diatoms on it but my conch cleans it pretty well.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've replaced a tank twice now that required removing everything from one tank ( fish, rock and corals).
First I made enough water to fill the new tank and stored it in my garage ( right around the corner from the tank location)
I setup a temp tank for the fish across the room. All I needed was some of the rock for filtration, powerhead for flow and a heater.
Then I picked up a 6' x 12" kiddy swimming pool. Moved enough water to cover the rock and corals in the kiddy pool. Had a couple powerheads to keep water flowing, and a heater. No lights required for either temp holding tanks.
Then I gave myself the rest of the day to set up the new tank. Started a freshwater test overnight. Drained the freshwater after fixing a couple leaks and started moving everything back.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've replaced a tank twice now that required removing everything from one tank ( fish, rock and corals).
First I made enough water to fill the new tank and stored it in my garage ( right around the corner from the tank location)
I setup a temp tank for the fish across the room. All I needed was some of the rock for filtration, powerhead for flow and a heater.
Then I picked up a 6' x 12" kiddy swimming pool. Moved enough water to cover the rock and corals in the kiddy pool. Had a couple powerheads to keep water flowing, and a heater. No lights required for either temp holding tanks.
Then I gave myself the rest of the day to set up the new tank. Started a freshwater test overnight. Drained the freshwater after fixing a couple leaks and started moving everything back.
Did you use the old tank water?

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empty old tank so you can move it aside.

Put water back in.

Set up new tank and get the system going.

Literally plumb the new system to the old system. Start with a slow trickle to full flow over a week or so.

Separate the systems and use the old tank as a swish tank. Keep that canister filter running.

Swish those rocks in the old tank and move them to the new tank. Get a kitchen strainer and do the same to the sand.

I've done this twice now with flawless results. It takes time and patience, but you will end up with a nice clean transfer.

If you have the space this will work nicely. It inconvenient but worth it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you use the old tank water?
Only in the holding tanks.
After the freshwater test, I drained the freshwater and moved all of the new water into the new tank. ( added new sand first). Then I just started taking water out of the holding tanks and topped them off with the new water, acclimating everything to the new water.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Fully rinse sand. It can be reused and why not? If you get all the detritus out it's like new.
I can see the reason to save and re-use sand. Save money, everybody wants that.
But if the sand is dirty, it's tough to get it completely clean. Even rinsing dust out of clean sand is a tedious chore. Depending on how many lbs, you have to rinse it can take alot of time when you are trying to get the fish and corals back in the permanent tank.
I've swapped tanks before and used new sand rinsed and cleaned the day before. For me it wasn't a chore I wanted to do with all the other things on tank swap day.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the reason to save and re-use sand. Save money, everybody wants that.
But if the sand is dirty, it's tough to get it completely clean. Even rinsing dust out of clean sand is a tedious chore. Depending on how many lbs, you have to rinse it can take alot of time when you are trying to get the fish and corals back in the permanent tank.
I've swapped tanks before and used new sand rinsed and cleaned the day before. For me it wasn't a chore I wanted to do with all the other things on tank swap day.
I have swapped tanks twice.
One time was a dsb and didn't clean the sand at all, tank was up and running 2 days later. That was the fastest cycle I've ever seen.
Cleaning detritus or the fine grains of new sand is the same amount of work regardless.
I see your point in Saving Time but that's all he's going to be saving. Tank is new and there's not much in it anyway.
I guess it's what is most important to the OP.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably just buy new sand and rinse like crazy. My tank now has 4 bags of fiji pink but imo its to thick. So ill just get three bags. Its not that expensive.

I just went to a coral show yesterday and brought home 29 frag’s so in my opinion three bags of sand is not that expensive :face-with-tears-of-joy:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back