Lighting question new build

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning stages for a bigger tank. Custom acrylic tank 36Lx24Wx18H. I plan on a mixed reef, mostly zoas, LPS, with a few easy SPS (encrusting montis). My current tank has an AI Hydra 26 HD (32g Biocube) and I like it, but thought I'd try Radions this time, especially since the lights will be in a 12" canopy and the radions can be mounted closer to the tank (at least from the recommended height from the BRS video). I'm thinking that I need 2 XR15s on this tank. Does that sound right? I would consider adding an easy acro to the tank like a green slimer at some point too. I'm also looking for ideas on mounting the lights in a canopy. Right now, I'm thinking the hanging brackets, but I'd prefer the rail or some similar method (the hanging just makes me a bit nervous - and then I just saw a failure in a FB group over the weekend where the cables snapped from corrosion and dropped the light in the tank).

Open to other light suggestions too, though I did pick up one of the XR15s at the BRS rewards sale last week LOL. Currently reading up on the Neptune Sky.

Last edited:

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into acrylic chain? Totally different use but I have cable threaded thru it to hold up my A/C vent duct. When the cable broke, it did stretch but held till I noticed and replaced the cable.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into acrylic chain? Totally different use but I have cable threaded thru it to hold up my A/C vent duct. When the cable broke, it did stretch but held till I noticed and replaced the cable.
So as a backup to the wire cables? Seems like a good idea if I can find a way to attach it (maybe just eye screws?). Do you have a link to the kind you mean?

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 XR 15s would be plenty of light no doubt. I ended up going with 2 AI Hydra 32 just because i got a killer deal and i love them. They are on a tank with very similar foot print of yours. These lights today are just incredible so many good brands from the cheaper options to the high end lights.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 XR 15s would be plenty of light no doubt. I ended up going with 2 AI Hydra 32 just because i got a killer deal and i love them. They are on a tank with very similar foot print of yours. These lights today are just incredible so many good brands from the cheaper options to the high end lights.
I have the Hydra 26 HD on my current tank and really like it. My hesitation with the new tank is that it'll have a canopy and those lights (according to BRS) should be higher than the canopy will allow. The XR15 sweet spot is around 9" which is pretty close to where I can get it with my 12" canopy.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the USPS seems to have misplaced my first XR15. It's been at the Detroit regional center for 4 or 5 days now and it says estimated delivery unknown. Sigh...I mean, not that I need it, but hey, there's a mystery coupon in that box LOL.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning stages for a bigger tank. Custom acrylic tank 36Lx24Wx18H. I plan on a mixed reef, mostly zoas, LPS, with a few easy SPS (encrusting montis). My current tank has an AI Hydra 26 HD (32g Biocube) and I like it, but thought I'd try Radions this time, especially since the lights will be in a 12" canopy and the radions can be mounted closer to the tank (at least from the recommended height from the BRS video). I'm thinking that I need 2 XR15s on this tank. Does that sound right? I would consider adding an easy acro to the tank like a green slimer at some point too. I'm also looking for ideas on mounting the lights in a canopy. Right now, I'm thinking the hanging brackets, but I'd prefer the rail or some similar method (the hanging just makes me a bit nervous - and then I just saw a failure in a FB group over the weekend where the cables snapped from corrosion and dropped the light in the tank).

Open to other light suggestions too, though I did pick up one of the XR15s at the BRS rewards sale last week LOL. Currently reading up on the Neptune Sky.
My mystery coupon was $10. Meh.

cheers on the XR15! I used that x10 rewards coupon to buy all my lights and then flipped the $350 in points into a PAR meter!

I hung my Radions with the 72” rail but…I bought both the arms and hanging kit. One side has the arm so I can hide the cables, the other side has the ceiling hanging wire so it doesn’t sit on the tank and get in the way of the lid.

The only downside is that I would like to mount them another 2-3” higher and the arm doesn’t allow for that.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mystery coupon was $10. Meh.

cheers on the XR15! I used that x10 rewards coupon to buy all my lights and then flipped the $350 in points into a PAR meter!

I hung my Radions with the 72” rail but…I bought both the arms and hanging kit. One side has the arm so I can hide the cables, the other side has the ceiling hanging wire so it doesn’t sit on the tank and get in the way of the lid.

The only downside is that I would like to mount them another 2-3” higher and the arm doesn’t allow for that.
Yes, my first coupon was $10, but hey, it's $10 free LOL. I have another $36 in rewards points from the first light, so I should get at least $46 off on the second one LOL.

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydra 26 HD on my current tank and really like it. My hesitation with the new tank is that it'll have a canopy and those lights (according to BRS) should be higher than the canopy will allow. The XR15 sweet spot is around 9" which is pretty close to where I can get it with my 12" canopy.
Yup you are exactly right. I have mine mounted at 14 inches. I will say the Neptune Sky lights are freaking nice i got to see them this past weekend at Reefapalooza.

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as a backup to the wire cables? Seems like a good idea if I can find a way to attach it (maybe just eye screws?). Do you have a link to the kind you mean?
Yes. I did not think it would hold by itself long term (streach till snap?) but hated the cable look. I am guessing it held a week or so before I noticed the A/C was listing to one side. It's normal job is long term indoor/outdoor crowd control. I think this where I got it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back