Positioning suplimenting light bars.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people are adding LED light bars it seems to reduce shading, supliment existing main lights and or add extra colour pop to their corals. Many position a light bar at the front and one to the rear of their main lighting to even out the spread.

When I bought my new Orphek icons on my 5' D-D 1500 proreef I also put 2 x 4' orphek O3 light bars with them. I first tried th usual configuration, one front one back. However, it appeared to me I wasn't getting the best use out of the rear light bar and that at least some of the light was wasted positioned so.

To get the best out of light bars much will depend on your reefscape as to how best to position your lights and the light bars. My reefscape starts with a few inches of bare sand at the front then roughly speaking graduated incline towards the rear of the tank. This is broken up with some overhangs of rock all of which is living rock I have acquired secondhand over the years and transferred from tank to tank.

Having overhangs with your reefscape can pose it's own problems when it comes to light positioned causing shaded areas when lit directly from above as they can cast shadows away from the overhanging rock work. Some corals will also cause issues with throwing their shadow over a coral situated below the one above.

Anyway, I decided to bring my rear light bar to the front of my icons with 2 in a line on some DIY brackets attached to each icon like outriggers you could say. Each light bar was then tilted towards my reefscape so they are more or less at right angles to my reefscape.

The above has improved a number of things. Firstly I have no wasted light from the light bars as in no overspill of light from them.
Secondly shading is reduced even though my icons are one of the better lights at reduced shading. Thirdly the light from the light bars is better used and each reaches more of my reefscape and corals. Fourthly the individual LEDs colours are better mixed and spread over a larger area of my reefscape and corals.

I have found the above configuration of my light bars best for my reefscape and happy with the light they give my reef.

20220306_163629.jpg

20220105_205714.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the write up …I have some cheaper bars but mounting engineering and aesthetics is my issue…
your setup looks nice
Actually you don't see the mounting arms for the bars unless you walk right up to the tank esp given the height off the floor they are. And esp from my seating position. See my first pic. The second pic is taken close to my hifi speaker so you dont really get to see a side view unless leaning over it as I did to take it.
BtW I just need to tidy the wiring from the light bars so you don't seem them.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an issue with most lights we use and especially puck style lights like Hydras etc in that light comes directly from above and inevitably cause shading. The light is also constantl7coming from the same direction.
The sun however rises in the East and sets in the West providing light in an arc.

Ideally our lights would do similar which is difficult to achieve but we can help and compromise. One way is to provide some light from a different direction to help reach areas not so accessable to by the lights hung directly above. We can't bend light in our tanks so providing some from another direction helps compensate and brings with it extra benefits to our light loving corals.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people are adding LED light bars it seems to reduce shading, supliment existing main lights and or add extra colour pop to their corals. Many position a light bar at the front and one to the rear of their main lighting to even out the spread.

When I bought my new Orphek icons on my 5' D-D 1500 proreef I also put 2 x 4' orphek O3 light bars with them. I first tried th usual configuration, one front one back. However, it appeared to me I wasn't getting the best use out of the rear light bar and that at least some of the light was wasted positioned so.

To get the best out of light bars much will depend on your reefscape as to how best to position your lights and the light bars. My reefscape starts with a few inches of bare sand at the front then roughly speaking graduated incline towards the rear of the tank. This is broken up with some overhangs of rock all of which is living rock I have acquired secondhand over the years and transferred from tank to tank.

Having overhangs with your reefscape can pose it's own problems when it comes to light positioned causing shaded areas when lit directly from above as they can cast shadows away from the overhanging rock work. Some corals will also cause issues with throwing their shadow over a coral situated below the one above.

Anyway, I decided to bring my rear light bar to the front of my icons with 2 in a line on some DIY brackets attached to each icon like outriggers you could say. Each light bar was then tilted towards my reefscape so they are more or less at right angles to my reefscape.

The above has improved a number of things. Firstly I have no wasted light from the light bars as in no overspill of light from them.
Secondly shading is reduced even though my icons are one of the better lights at reduced shading. Thirdly the light from the light bars is better used and each reaches more of my reefscape and corals. Fourthly the individual LEDs colours are better mixed and spread over a larger area of my reefscape and corals.

I have found the above configuration of my light bars best for my reefscape and happy with the light they give my reef.

20220306_163629.jpg

20220105_205714.jpg
Hello @atoll can you provide detail on the mounting hardware? I bought an Orphek bar to supplement my kessil AP9x single arm mount, so I think I need more hardware to mount as you did with a tilt towards the rock scape. All of the mounting options I have found are for either fixed mounting or hanging by wires, can’t figure out how to get something that will allow me to attach the tilt hardware that came with the LED.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Orphek light bars are fixed to my Ophek icons via Orphek's own straight mounting bars designed for the purpose. I also have extention bars pre-drilled I bought from a B&Q a DIY chain here in the UK. These bars attach to the Orphek extension bars with my light bars attached to them. You would have to come up with some arrangement to fit your Kessils providing you have 2 Kessils

Back