Im leaving the twilight zone

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycloheximide* my bad!
So that's what I thought ...

Cycloheximide is a natural antibiotic (extracted from Streptomyces griseus), also with antifungal capacity, which for a long time used as an agricultural defense, due to its antifungal properties, but today it is almost abandoned. It is toxic to humans. It acts by altering the mRNA, preventing the transcription of proteins. It is inactivated at alkaline pH, so it is not suitable for use in marine aquariums, would have random effect, according to pH. In humans, it causes changes in the germinative cells and in the fetus.

Quinine sulfate is a primitive antimalarial, similar to chloroquine in its actions and results, but with more side effects in humans, so it is reserved for situations of resistance to chloroquine by Plasmodium falciparum. It may be one of the active ingredients contained in Prime Coral for its effect on protozoa, nematodes, gastropods and polychaetes, but at doses slightly higher than those required to be effective, as indicated, may have a toxic effect on crustaceans, fish and corals.

What is the full name of the MFA?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that's what I thought ...

Cycloheximide is a natural antibiotic (extracted from Streptomyces griseus), also with antifungal capacity, which for a long time used as an agricultural defense, due to its antifungal properties, but today it is almost abandoned. It is toxic to humans. It acts by altering the mRNA, preventing the transcription of proteins. It is inactivated at alkaline pH, so it is not suitable for use in marine aquariums, would have random effect, according to pH. In humans, it causes changes in the germinative cells and in the fetus.

Quinine sulfate is a primitive antimalarial, similar to chloroquine in its actions and results, but with more side effects in humans, so it is reserved for situations of resistance to chloroquine by Plasmodium falciparum. It may be one of the active ingredients contained in Prime Coral for its effect on protozoa, nematodes, gastropods and polychaetes, but at doses slightly higher than those required to be effective, as indicated, may have a toxic effect on crustaceans, fish and corals.

Thanks for that Jose! Rules that one out of the equation.

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tested the dip to see if it helps with black / red bugs ? Even if it doesn’t work with RTN, I’d consider buying it if it can kill black bugs which interceptor doesn’t seem to.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Be curious to know its viscosity. The PC ingredients are super thick. The bottle is a thick sludge (most likely antibiotics with some natural extracts). Then you add a second small bottle that’s clear which is likely a “reducing agent” for the first bottle. Then it has to be mixed really well. He says not to shake so it doesn’t make bubbles.

I’ll get the full name of the MFA.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tested the dip to see if it helps with black / red bugs ? Even if it doesn’t work with RTN, I’d consider buying it if it can kill black bugs which interceptor doesn’t seem to.

Haven’t heard any reports yet.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking the MFA is Lactobacillus acidophilus which is a probiotic that is used to help maintain the number of healthy bacteria in your stomach and intestines.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral bleaching parasite was mentioned. Does anyone know what that is referring to?

It’s mostly ciliate species, but we’re calling them parasites too.

These ciliate species (namely Varistrombidium kielum, Philaster lucinda, Philaster guamense, a Euplotes sp., a Trachelotractus sp. and a Condylostoma sp.) appear to harbor symbiotic algae, potentially from the coral themselves, a result which may indicate that they play some role in the disease pathology at the very least.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s mostly ciliate species, but we’re calling them parasites too.

These ciliate species (namely Varistrombidium kielum, Philaster lucinda, Philaster guamense, a Euplotes sp., a Trachelotractus sp. and a Condylostoma sp.) appear to harbor symbiotic algae, potentially from the coral themselves, a result which may indicate that they play some role in the disease pathology at the very least.

Gotcha. I think calling them coral bleaching parasites is a big and misleading jump.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I think calling them coral bleaching parasites is a big and misleading jump.

Yeah at this point we know they’re definitely eating live coral tissue, but still unsure who’s the primary cause. There appears to be multiple players in the game, but we just do not know who’s responsible for the initial bleaching and why they all respond. I think they can smell it.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral bleaching, as far as it is known, is a physiological response of coral to environmental, physical, chemical, and perhaps biological stressors, but more especially related to the persistent increase in temperature ... I am not aware that there is a cause-effect relationship between whitening and WBD, at least not in the literature to which I have access.

If the coral dies because of the whitening, then it is likely that the detritivores advance on the waste, but this does not make them involved in the bleaching; only take advantage of its consequence.

Regards

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral bleaching, as far as it is known, is a physiological response of coral to environmental, physical, chemical, and perhaps biological stressors, but more especially related to the persistent increase in temperature ... I am not aware that there is a cause-effect relationship between whitening and WBD, at least not in the literature to which I have access.

If the coral dies because of the whitening, then it is likely that the detritivores advance on the waste, but this does not make them involved in the bleaching; only take advantage of its consequence.

Regards

They do consume live zooxanthellae. So I’m assuming this would make them more than detritivores correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back