OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral tissue is dying or dead...why would the zooxanthellae stick around? Seems like they would roll out.?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - in captivity, too much light, too fast, can cause coral bleaching too with zoox expel. This is likely an issue with quality since we cannot easily duplicate the quantity that sunlight offers. Way too much of bad quality light can cause tissue loss from the tips down (RTN, of sorts).

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral is being attacked or severely stressed they will usually expel the zooxanthellae right.? So I wounder why these ciliate are able to eat so many after they come onboard? I mean their bellies are full of zooxanthellae. Is it possible they do not realize how fast this is taking place and get caught off-guard.?

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20190309-140903_Facebook.jpg

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral tissue is dying or dead...why would the zooxanthellae stick around? Seems like they would roll out.?
If the coral is being attacked or severely stressed they will usually expel the zooxanthellae right.? So I wounder why these ciliate are able to eat so many after they come onboard? I mean their bellies are full of zooxanthellae. Is it possible they do not realize how fast this is taking place and get caught off-guard.?

There is a legion of free-living zooxanthellae on coral reefs, which are bi-flagellated, like any dinoflagellate of the genus Symbiodinium sp, and swim like any dinoflagellate. But the zooxanthelae that enter the host lose the flagellum, and when they are expelled, they can no longer swim while, perhaps, it does not recompose the flagellum. Ciliates swim well and catch them easily, such as collecting eggs.

The process of expulsion of zooxanthellae from coral tissues (coral bleaching) is a physiological and coral dependent process, since they are trapped in their tissues. This only occurs if the coral is alive. If the coral dies without expelling the zooxanthellae, they will remain trapped in their necrotic tissues and also die, trapped there.

When RTN occurs, zooxanthelae are not expelled and whitening of coral tissues does not occur! So much so that the rags of coral tissue, which detach from the skeleton, remain colorful.

Regards

Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah at this point we know they’re definitely eating live coral tissue, but still unsure who’s the primary cause. There appears to be multiple players in the game, but we just do not know who’s responsible for the initial bleaching and why they all respond. I think they can smell it.

We do know the causes of coral bleaching, and it isn’t parasites. Misstatements like that make it hard to take other claims seriously. I really wish people would not over inflate claims so it would be easier to have useful discussion.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do know the causes of coral bleaching, and it isn’t parasites. Misstatements like that make it hard to take other claims seriously. I really wish people would not over inflate claims so it would be easier to have useful discussion.

Show me the data. Why is a 32 page thread still going if we know? We do not fully know.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me the data. Why is a 32 page thread still going if we know? We do not fully know.

It's still going because there's 32 pages of other evidence you've refused to look at and it's annoying the highly educated professionals who are being told this ridiculous product with no real information behind it is better than science and is a miracle cure.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking about WB disease, RTN, STN... they bleach so call it whatever you wanna call it. :p

Nope, bleaching is actually different, that's already been said. See what we mean about you not paying attention to other evidence?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking about WB disease, RTN, STN... they bleach so call it whatever you wanna call it. :p

You were answering a question I asked about a specific claim made - that this deals with 'coral bleaching parasites'. I had never heard of such a thing, so was keeping my mind open to the possibility. Based on your responses, I can close my mind. Thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well - no not really - coral bleaching is something different. so if you say 'coral bleaching' people think you mean one thing - if you say RTN - its a different story. How would anyone know realize you meant RTN when you said coral bleaching?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - no not really - coral bleaching is something different. so if you say 'coral bleaching' people think you mean one thing - if you say RTN - its a different story. How would anyone know realize you meant RTN when you said coral bleaching?

RTN/STN!!

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were answering a question I asked about a specific claim made - that this deals with 'coral bleaching parasites'. I had never heard of such a thing, so was keeping my mind open to the possibility. Based on your responses, I can close my mind. Thanks!

I should have been clear. My apologies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RTN/STN!!
I got it - I understand what you meant. Read what people write before you jump in. I was just mentioning that when you say 'coral bleaching' - you shouldn't expect to think people will know its RTN STN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back