Possible solution to end RTN forever?!?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Reefahholic, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Reefahholic

Reefahholic Reef Junkie T.V. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

If the coral tissue is dying or dead...why would the zooxanthellae stick around? Seems like they would roll out.?

2. jda

jda Valuable Member

FWIW - in captivity, too much light, too fast, can cause coral bleaching too with zoox expel. This is likely an issue with quality since we cannot easily duplicate the quantity that sunlight offers. Way too much of bad quality light can cause tissue loss from the tips down (RTN, of sorts).

CJS80, MnFish1 and Reefahholic like this.
  3. Reefahholic

Reefahholic Reef Junkie T.V. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

If the coral is being attacked or severely stressed they will usually expel the zooxanthellae right.? So I wounder why these ciliate are able to eat so many after they come onboard? I mean their bellies are full of zooxanthellae. Is it possible they do not realize how fast this is taking place and get caught off-guard.?

4. Demonic

Demonic Love Change

Screenshot_20190309-140903_Facebook.jpg

5. Jose Mayo

Jose Mayo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

There is a legion of free-living zooxanthellae on coral reefs, which are bi-flagellated, like any dinoflagellate of the genus Symbiodinium sp, and swim like any dinoflagellate. But the zooxanthelae that enter the host lose the flagellum, and when they are expelled, they can no longer swim while, perhaps, it does not recompose the flagellum. Ciliates swim well and catch them easily, such as collecting eggs.

The process of expulsion of zooxanthellae from coral tissues (coral bleaching) is a physiological and coral dependent process, since they are trapped in their tissues. This only occurs if the coral is alive. If the coral dies without expelling the zooxanthellae, they will remain trapped in their necrotic tissues and also die, trapped there.

When RTN occurs, zooxanthelae are not expelled and whitening of coral tissues does not occur! So much so that the rags of coral tissue, which detach from the skeleton, remain colorful.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  6. Thales

Thales Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Expert Contributor

We do know the causes of coral bleaching, and it isn’t parasites. Misstatements like that make it hard to take other claims seriously. I really wish people would not over inflate claims so it would be easier to have useful discussion.

7. Thales

That isn’t bleaching. Bleaching occurs to live healthy coral.

BigJohnny and MnFish1 like this.
  8. Thales

Oh, sorry, Jose covered all that, better!

BigJohnny and MnFish1 like this.
  9. Reefahholic

Show me the data. Why is a 32 page thread still going if we know? We do not fully know.

10. AcroNem

AcroNem Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

It's still going because there's 32 pages of other evidence you've refused to look at and it's annoying the highly educated professionals who are being told this ridiculous product with no real information behind it is better than science and is a miracle cure.

11. Thales

The data about coral bleaching and its causes?

BigJohnny, AcroNem and MnFish1 like this.
  12. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Coral bleaching is not RTN.

CJS80, BigJohnny, AcroNem and 2 others like this.
  13. Reefahholic

I’m talking about WB disease, RTN, STN... they bleach so call it whatever you wanna call it. :p

MnFish1 likes this.
  14. AcroNem

AcroNem Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Nope, bleaching is actually different, that's already been said. See what we mean about you not paying attention to other evidence?

Mike N, BigJohnny, MnFish1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Thales

You were answering a question I asked about a specific claim made - that this deals with 'coral bleaching parasites'. I had never heard of such a thing, so was keeping my mind open to the possibility. Based on your responses, I can close my mind. Thanks!

16. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Well - no not really - coral bleaching is something different. so if you say 'coral bleaching' people think you mean one thing - if you say RTN - its a different story. How would anyone know realize you meant RTN when you said coral bleaching?

17. Reefahholic

RTN/STN!!

18. Reefahholic

I should have been clear. My apologies.

MnFish1 likes this.
  19. MnFish1

I got it - I understand what you meant. Read what people write before you jump in. I was just mentioning that when you say 'coral bleaching' - you shouldn't expect to think people will know its RTN STN.

AcroNem and Reefahholic like this.
  20. MnFish1

btw - I offered to make some suggestions or help if you're planning to study this stuff in Houston. If you're interested let me know.

Reefahholic likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted