ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 8 Gal LPS dominated reef tank. I'm planning on building the sump. I already have the tank for the sump which is a 5 Gal tank. My question is, which protein skimmer would fit best in my sump ?

https://www.tokopedia.com/aquastop/jebo-178-protein-skimmer

https://www.tokopedia.com/ikansapoesapoe/resun-protein-skimmer-sk-300

https://www.tokopedia.com/abfaquatic/protein-skimmer-resun-sk-05-aquarium-laut

P.S. I'm picking these not because they're cheap but rather because these are the only ones that can fit in my stand.

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have HOB skimmers if worse comes to worse, I'm not aware of skimmers that small, then again I only have a 1 gal tank, so most products for casual reef keeping don't apply to me :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first one looks suspiciously like the rio hob skimmer(awful).

You could look at the eshopps nano skimmer. Would be rated for the for that size and should work in a 5 gallon sump.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience no skimmer is better than a bad skimmer. You will be tweaking almost daily to attempt that perfect skimmate. And never achieve it. For that tank size perhaps spend the money instead on a decent light and macro algea for the sump. You will get better nutrient reduction, than a skimmer that only kind of functions. Mho anyway.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience no skimmer is better than a bad skimmer. You will be tweaking almost daily to attempt that perfect skimmate. And never achieve it. For that tank size perhaps spend the money instead on a decent light and macro algea for the sump. You will get better nutrient reduction, than a skimmer that only kind of functions. Mho anyway.

I already have. I just need some nick nacks to make my nano better.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second getting a nice grow light for the refugium and skipping the skimmer. I bet macro [Chaeto] can way outperform a skimmer in a tank that size

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And any fluctuations in parameters on a system that size should be an easy fix with small water changes. and perhaps a carbon reactor for anything your not testing for. Any other toys, low profile circulation pumps, to maximize the aesthetics of such a small tank.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, a skimmer is a waste of money on a small tank. I don't run one on my 14g, just do water changes to keep up with nutrients. 5g isn't hard to mix up and is about 40% of the water volume in the tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back