Reefs dot com article on triton testing

craigbingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to have to acidify my samples. I understand it may introduce error. But I don't want to have to acquire very pure and strong acid. Nor do I want to keep such acid around for something I may only do couple times of year. This would make a simple to use inexpensive test much more complicated and costly. I would not go through the trouble because I am a hobbyist.

No one has at any point suggested that it would be appropriate for a typical hobbyist to acidify samples prior to shipping them to Triton.

al*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has at any point suggested that it would be appropriate for a typical hobbyist to acidify samples prior to shipping them to Triton.

Even though something like a Vacutainer pre-filled with the appropriate amount of HNO3 could be used to do that without the customer ever having to come into contact with the acid.

craigbingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig, this was a response to the question posted immediately before mine. Sorry I did not respond with a quote and it confused you.

Well, regardless of who said it, I understand why Triton isn't wild about general aquarists acidifying their samples. I still don't understand why they won't accept acidified reference materials.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping this discussion hasn't died.. I'd like to see the conclusion/explanation. :D

craigbingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First i would like to ask you Randy and Craig, do you have access to a ICP-OES of the newst generation approx 4 years old ( like ours ) without any restriction to use it ?

I don't have unrestricted access to an ICP instrument. I have access on a very reasonable fee-for-service basis to a couple of machines here.

Don´t get me wrong , I am asking because of the possiblility to experimentaly try some stuff that possibly will come up in the discussion , as we work very practical in that point.
Otherwise in some points we will only be able to go by scientific papers , wich in a practical way will not help to much.

That is a rather dim view of the scientific literature.

In my opinion the Article is mixing up a lot of things that we should saperate from each other, to not let the discussion get caotic ( like the article ).

I can filter following questions out of all that have been said in the article and here :

1. Is TRITON ICP-OES testing PRODUCT good and helpfull for practical reefkeeping ( hobby or public aquaria ), is there a Value to the testing for this purpose. ( Fit for Purpose discussion ) by all informations we have right now ( Article and reality ) ?

That is a discussion that I'm happy to have. As you know, to evaluate whether or not it is fit for a particular purpose, we need to know more about the uncertainties in the method as practiced at Triton. That is really the primary motivation behind the article. Based on the limited information we have from that article, I would say that the method is fit for some purposes but perhaps not for others.

2. Is TRITON ICP-OES testing PRODUCT good and helpfull for any other purpose like academic or scientific publications or a legal survey on court ... ?

You can't really expect proprietary methods to be included in a scientific publication, or admissible to court.

3. How has TRITON managed to overcome the problems coming with ICP-OES testing of seawater and why is that possible as cheap or at all ?

I think this is where you would explain your methodology.

4. Do the guys from TRITON know what they do ?

I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But when extraordinary claims are being made, and accurate recovery of trace metals in a saltwater matrix after unknown losses on shipping and with a sample that isn't stabilized with nitric acid is an EXTRAORDINARY claim, then we tend to start looking at publications, and if publications aren't available, we start examining credentials. Since we are there, your credentials are a little murky to me. It is fairly easy to find mine (B.A., Biochemistry, University of Kansas; Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin--Madison; postdoc, Biophysics, Columbia University.) This is a fairly good pedigree. UWM is presently ranked #2 as a training institution in my field, it was solidly top 5 when I was a graduate student. I was by some objective measure the top student in my class. I have subsequently distinguished myself in publications (bingman ca)and - PubMed - NCBI solved protein structures (RCSB Protein Data Bank - RCSB PDB). While I'm not a chemical oceanographer, I have substantial training in related fields, and when one is as far out on the pointy end of the normal distribution as I am, one just absorbs fields of knowledge as needed or desired. I am a co-author of an article with Marlin Atkinson on the chemical analysis of several brands of seawater that became part of the primary literature. In the aquarium field I have published scores of articles and had a foundational role in the reef movement in the USA in the mid- to late-1990s, a period of time where we really worked out how to become successful in maintaining captive reef mesocosms.

So tell us a little bit about your background, please. Just because of the rather extraordinary claims and the closed, unpublished methodology.

5. What does the DATA in the Article realy tell us and wich value does it have for the Reefkeeper, also how much weight does it have acording to the Fit for purpose discussion ?

6. Is there anything that can make the customers of TRITON feel more confident with the testing ? is there any need to feel more confident with TRITON ? what would be the best way to get this confidence ( from the viwe of the reefkeeper )?

I would think that the customers of TRITON would feel a lot more confident if you guys didn't "blow a gasket" whenever a slightly critical article appears. It was mainly good news from my perspective, and I would predict that some years down the road, you are going to look back and see that the article was one of the better things that has happened to you. For example, I probably wouldn't be spending my time in this discussion were it not for the article.

7. How accurate / precise is TRITON TESTING PRODUCT and how accurate /precise, for wich purpose it need to be ?

It makes some sense to collect all of the accuracy/precision discussion in one place, go through it objectively and then examine use cases to evaluate the fit-for-purpose angle.

8. Chemical geek questions like is Iodine testing effected by acid ? wich elements will be effected by acid ? in detail wich sideeffects will bacteria, (nano)particles, Matrix diviations/variations... have on the testing.

Those are important questions. My impression is that of the stabilizing acids that can be used for ICP samples, nitric acid is probably the best player for a wide range of elements. Some other stabilizers may be superior for a few elements, but overall nitric acid is a reasonable choice. You have made a number of statements of how nitric acid skews the results, but I haven't seen any data behind those statements so far. The literature seems to indicate fairly small effects, you claim larger ones.

How particles are handled in your analysis should have a major role in the trace element analysis. Because I don't know how you handle them, I can't really say more.

9. Is there any way that the TRITON TEST PRODUCT user wll be able to determine the accuracy / precision in his own personal TEST matrix ?

I think you will need to clarify this one for me, as I am not sure if you are discussing the possibility of end-users sending standards, or something else.

I think by going trough a planed discussion like that all of us would be able to contribute better, and the information for the audience will be more informativ.
Please feel free to add anything i could have missed.
I will chime in and start with the first question then.

sorry for the bad english.

All the best Ehsan

andy01748

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reference 4 in the article links to a Triton produced document that publishes their accuracies and limits of detection.

http://www.triton-lab.de/fileadmin/user_upload/triton-lab/TRITON_LOD.pdf

This document includes the statement "We only use certified standards by certified standard producers."

I think in the context of the discussion about the use of acid preservation and possible effects of the acidified matrix for the reference sample, it would be meaningful to get clarification on how Triton's certified calibration standards are stabilized. I don't know why the "certified standard producer" or make up of the "certified standard" would be considered proprietary information.

craigbingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig ,what type of Reef tank do your currently keep and how and what do you test?

Since I'm in the middle of large changes in my personal life that are not conducive to aquarium stability, I'm not actively maintaining a reef system at this point. Prior to that I had a 29 gallon cube and a few smaller tanks. I test the usual stuff, nutrients when needed, alkalinity most frequently, calcium sometimes, and magnesium occasionally. I maintained the system with either a commercial 2-part supplement or various test supplements that I created from individual chemicals.

craigbingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig ,what type of Reef tank do your currently keep and how and what do you test?
Sorry I missed part of your question. I use titration tests for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium and colorimetric tests with a spectrophotometer for nutrients. The titration tests are modified Hach chemistry, because their default testing instructions work poorly in a seawater/saltwater matrix. The colorimetric tests are exactly by the numbers Hach chemistry as they are all validated in saltwater matrix and work quite well out of the box.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I've read the article - which I think was exactly on-point regarding "skeptical reef keeping". I've read the sparks, thank thankfully didn't become flames, and I've read the many questions by the chemists who know way more than I will ever know. But other than questions I still don't seem to recall reading any answers from Triton, a promise of answers but so far none. So this is what I understand, the testing that Triton does is not done by any other company using the ICP-OES technique because nobody else can do it, at least for the $ that Triton charges. I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable about this. But than I kept reading in some of Triton's responses that the ICP-OES machine is so "new" it can do this, am I mistaken about this argument and if I'm not do the newer machines make this testing more likely? Early in this discussion Eshan posted a series of questions that he said he would address but I haven't seen them addressed by him, or again maybe I've missed something, but if not is Eshan going to post the answers to the questions he posed on this thread?

Finally I also understand from everything that the Triton method, despite the fact that is seems to be a "black box" is at least providing us with fairly reasonable information that can be useful for our hobby - so I guess that is a good thing.

Thanks R2R and everyone else for helping move this hobby forward, the little critters we purchase hoping to watch grow into bigger critters, whose life is in our hands are better as a result of your efforts.

andy01748

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I've read the article - which I think was exactly on-point regarding "skeptical reef keeping". I've read the sparks, thank thankfully didn't become flames, and I've read the many questions by the chemists who know way more than I will ever know. But other than questions I still don't seem to recall reading any answers from Triton, a promise of answers but so far none. So this is what I understand, the testing that Triton does is not done by any other company using the ICP-OES technique because nobody else can do it, at least for the $ that Triton charges. I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable about this. But than I kept reading in some of Triton's responses that the ICP-OES machine is so "new" it can do this, am I mistaken about this argument and if I'm not do the newer machines make this testing more likely? Early in this discussion Eshan posted a series of questions that he said he would address but I haven't seen them addressed by him, or again maybe I've missed something, but if not is Eshan going to post the answers to the questions he posed on this thread?

Finally I also understand from everything that the Triton method, despite the fact that is seems to be a "black box" is at least providing us with fairly reasonable information that can be useful for our hobby - so I guess that is a good thing.

Thanks R2R and everyone else for helping move this hobby forward, the little critters we purchase hoping to watch grow into bigger critters, whose life is in our hands are better as a result of your efforts.

Newer ICP-OES instruments (commonly called ICP-AES in the States) do perform better than older ones. The instrumentation has continually improved for high throughput usage over the last several decades, although my experience is that high productivity commercial labs now tend to go with ICP-MS instruments when buying new instruments. ICP-MS tends to have better overall sensitivity than ICP-AES, although ICP-AESs are still considered highly productive workhorse instruments. However for routine analyses, even with the increased productivity seen with newer ICPs, I have not seen prices from certified commercial laboratories drop to the levels charged by Triton.

craigbingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer ICP-OES instruments (commonly called ICP-AES in the States) do perform better than older ones. The instrumentation has continually improved for high throughput usage over the last several decades, although my experience is that high productivity commercial labs now tend to go with ICP-MS instruments when buying new instruments. ICP-MS tends to have better overall sensitivity than ICP-AES, although ICP-AESs are still considered highly productive workhorse instruments. However for routine analyses, even with the increased productivity seen with newer ICPs, I have not seen prices from certified commercial laboratories drop to the levels charged by Triton.

I think that ICP-MS is a bit rough with high salt samples.

andy01748

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that ICP-MS is a bit rough with high salt samples.

Saltwater is rough on any type of ICP. It's pretty common for commercial abs to use both AES and MS when analyzing for a full suite of metals. The abundant cations are reported using AES because of the higher dynamic range and no concern for sensitivity, while the trace metals are reported using MS due to the better sensitivity.

Mo.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy, I think you killed the conversation :yawn:

Mo

al*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They even took my access away to the original article. I haven't been able to open it for several days now (I get a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error).:crossedlips:

I had problems with both reefs.com and reefsmagazine.com this weekend, too. I guess they have some server problem that needs to be solved...

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with both reefs.com and reefsmagazine.com this weekend, too. I guess they have some server problem that needs to be solved...

I am told they are doing some fairly massive back end modifications to the site.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back