Rimless Reef 4.0

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Over time, bacteria will need to be replenished as it is constantly being cycled out via skimmer and coral predation.

Personally, I will only add bacteria twice per week and nowhere near as much as is recommended on the bottle. I recently switched from MB7 over to Zeobak and have had some better results concerning nuisance slimes and algae's, which have now been completely eliminated from my system.

If you would like some more information, I wrote an article on the matter here: https://reefsite.com/bacterial-driven-system-a-recipe-for-success/
I’m curious if you’re also using Plus NP and Elimi NP along with Bacto Balance, alternating product based on the P04 level?

902996CA-5B87-4FB2-807C-B488C22FF02C.jpeg

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if you’re also using Plus NP and Elimi NP along with Bacto Balance, alternating product based on the P04 level?

902996CA-5B87-4FB2-807C-B488C22FF02C.jpeg

Hello,

I strictly use the NP-Bacto balance. I have not seen the need to use the other products to manage the nutrient levels. I find it easier for me to manage the nutrient levels by adjusting my feedings, increasing or decreasing based on simple observations.

The observations are not scientific, but if I see that my glass and sand are becoming dirty at a quicker than usual pace, and that my corals are not exhibiting growth tips, I will scale back on feeding.

Alternatively, if my glass and sand is pristine, corals lighting up and not growing, I will increase my feedings.

Again, it’s not scientific but it has worked for me through all these years and varying setups. Having to constantly test parameters and adjust based on those numbers is tedious and will lead to issues down the road. Human’s can overreact and cause disturbances in the system, destroying the delicate balance that nature has created. Some people have great success monitoring every parameter and more power to them. I could never do it, and would only get myself into trouble by doing so.

My philosophy is to setup the system correctly from the start, trust the process, and let nature take its course. I also believe that you need to create a maintenance plan and stick to it without fail. As in life, success is directly tied to consistency.

I will update the first page shortly concerning my updated dosages and schedules. Happy thanksgiving!

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX have you ever tried TM Phytonic and Zootonic?

Hello,

I have not. I currently dose:

• Zeobak- Six drops, twice per week.
  • Zeofood Plus-Six drops, twice per week.
  • Selcon-1ML, twice per week
  • Lugols Solution - Four drops daily
  • Tropic Marin NP-Bacto Balance- 2ML daily
  • Tropic Marin All for Reef-100ML daily
  • Kalkwasser-Top off, daily
  • DIY Pro Coral Snow- Once per week
In addition, I use Zeovit zeolites in a Zeo Reactor. My corals go nuts daily when I shake off the bacterial mulm from the Zeolites.

Coral growth has been phenomenal. At this pace, the reef will be grown out in less than a year from now.

-Sonny

Nelson Tiago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I strictly use the NP-Bacto balance. I have not seen the need to use the other products to manage the nutrient levels. I find it easier for me to manage the nutrient levels by adjusting my feedings, increasing or decreasing based on simple observations.

The observations are not scientific, but if I see that my glass and sand are becoming dirty at a quicker than usual pace, and that my corals are not exhibiting growth tips, I will scale back on feeding.

Alternatively, if my glass and sand is pristine, corals lighting up and not growing, I will increase my feedings.

Again, it’s not scientific but it has worked for me through all these years and varying setups. Having to constantly test parameters and adjust based on those numbers is tedious and will lead to issues down the road. Human’s can overreact and cause disturbances in the system, destroying the delicate balance that nature has created. Some people have great success monitoring every parameter and more power to them. I could never do it, and would only get myself into trouble by doing so.

My philosophy is to setup the system correctly from the start, trust the process, and let nature take its course. I also believe that you need to create a maintenance plan and stick to it without fail. As in life, success is directly tied to consistency.

I will update the first page shortly concerning my updated dosages and schedules. Happy thanksgiving!

-Sonny
Amen to that! Lovely tank, aquascape and reefing philosophy/ methodology. Feeling the same. Keep posting!

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspirational for sure. I am currently fighting a HUGE, losing battle with cyano. It's everywhere.

Have you, or do you, add pods to the tank?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspirational for sure. I am currently fighting a HUGE, losing battle with cyano. It's everywhere.

Have you, or do you, add pods to the tank?

Hello and thank you for the kind words.

Concerning cyano, this may just do the trick: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...cation-made-easy.916381/page-25#post-10846842

I do add pods, once a year, from reefcleaners.org . The pods are sold by the bag, $10 I believe. once winter is over I plan on ordering more pods and a refresh for my cleanup crew.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you change out the Zeolites as suggested by korallen-zucht?

Nope. I change them out every 60 days, twice the recommended length of time instructed. Every system is different, so you may be able to go longer or shorter before replacing the zeolites. Increased growth of film algae and diatoms on the sand are usually a good indication. I will say that my corals will always hit a growth spurt days after changing the stones.

-Sonny

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I change them out every 60 days, twice the recommended length of time instructed. Every system is different, so you may be able to go longer or shorter before replacing the zeolites. Increased growth of film algae and diatoms on the sand are usually a good indication. I will say that my corals will always hit a growth spurt days after changing the stones.

-Sonny
Thanks, Sonny! :)

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX Your progress is just incredible. Tank looks amazing!

Thank you! That Zeoreactor you kindly sent out has done a bang up job feeding the corals with the bacteria required for incredible growth.

Check out this seven month difference
A626CECD-C112-4455-A4F0-7645D880FD8B.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That Zeoreactor you kindly sent out has done a bang up job feeding the corals with the bacteria required for incredible growth.

Check out this seven month difference
A626CECD-C112-4455-A4F0-7645D880FD8B.jpeg
wow, the progress is really good, and the coral is doing great!!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated shots.

D2EE8FE8-89A8-45BC-BF27-8FA1EDDDA9FF.jpeg
695F3C79-A13B-43F6-85D2-0AA27EE90DE0.jpeg
Wonderful :star-struck: Your male melanospilos is getting pretty big!

How does everyone like the high flow and how do you manage to keep your sand from blowing around even with medium flow down there?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back