Someone please help

cashy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I have started a new tank about 2 months ago but I can't get my ammonia or nitrite under 0.25ppm I do water changes daily I am adding seachem stability and prime daily as instructed by my fish guy. It's a aquaone mini reef 215 setup. Can anyone suggest anything that will help or what im doing wrong. I have lost over $500 worth of fish already.

Cheers

Michael

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any LR or LS to start this tank? If u still have ammonia and nitrite, you have to let the tank finish cycling. Stop changing water and let your bacteria levels, both nitrosomonas and nitrobacter get established. These are the bacteria responsible for converting ammonia into nitrite and ultimately less harmful nitrate. You really don't want to add livestock till your ammonia and nitrite are zero. Ideally with your nitrate less than 20ppm. Otherwise you're just going to be frustrated and killing animals needlessly. Also you don't need to keep adding prime and stability daily. The two products remove ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in different ways. Seachem Prime actually does not remove any of the three nitrogen compounds at all. Seachem Stability offers a more direct approach. The product contains bacteria that will activated when added to your aquarium.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Slow down on the fish and get the tank cycled first. @brandon429 we need your help on a stuck cycle.

2421593D-3F06-4941-83D3-AA7C4CAE0678.gif

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R
Second, please provide as much information on your system as you can in order that folks can give you sound advice.
Without that, it's just a stream of suggestions flying at you.
The advice here is gold, take advantage of it.

ZomboMeme 20022021122030.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I have started a new tank about 2 months ago but I can't get my ammonia or nitrite under 0.25ppm I do water changes daily I am adding seachem stability and prime daily as instructed by my fish guy. It's a aquaone mini reef 215 setup. Can anyone suggest anything that will help or what im doing wrong. I have lost over $500 worth of fish already.

Cheers

Michael
Hi Michael and Welcome

Sorry for your losses. There is already good information here in this thread.

This is a good reference book article if you haven't found it already. Once your cycle is done, then likely there is more fun (uglies) in store, so at least this will mentally prepare you for what is standard when setting up new tank.

Agree there are good discussions about some test kits not reaching zero, so you MAY be chasing false data. You mention of prime makes me suspect you are treating tap water - IF so then perhaps there are other nasties not treatable in your tap (think Flint Michigan) and therefore suggest RO/DI water to make salt, esp if wanting corals.

Good luck! This hobby tests all our BBAs - Bounce Back Abilities - good for life, good for tank. Hang in there and just take it slow

OP
OP
C

cashy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you do anything else, let us know what test kit are you using.

If it's the API kit, it will never show a reading of 0, the lowest they actually go is 0.25 on both ammonia and NO3.
Funny you say that I am using the API test kit. It's showing 0 on nitrate but 0.25 on ammonia and nitrite.

OP
OP
C

cashy86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Michael and Welcome

Sorry for your losses. There is already good information here in this thread.

This is a good reference book article if you haven't found it already. Once your cycle is done, then likely there is more fun (uglies) in store, so at least this will mentally prepare you for what is standard when setting up new tank.

Agree there are good discussions about some test kits not reaching zero, so you MAY be chasing false data. You mention of prime makes me suspect you are treating tap water - IF so then perhaps there are other nasties not treatable in your tap (think Flint Michigan) and therefore suggest RO/DI water to make salt, esp if wanting corals.

Good luck! This hobby tests all our BBAs - Bounce Back Abilities - good for life, good for tank. Hang in there and just take it slow
I brought a ro/di system was taking ages to make my water so just brought a booster pump its much faster now lol flooded my garage yeah I think I have been to eager. My fish guy said what I added people usually add in a couple of months. Slow down Michael lol

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that I am using the API test kit. It's showing 0 on nitrate but 0.25 on ammonia and nitrite.
Your daily water changes may be the cause for 0 nitrates. Wondering if there was a time you had measurable nitrates (like, before you added fish other than perhaps a single tough cycling fish - if live fish cycling was your method to start ammonia>nitrite>nitrate)

Wondering how fish acted and looked leading up to and at death. This can be a helpful post so you can help people help you:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back