Traviitrav

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the tail end of equipment building, I have begun compiling a livestock list. The total volume is 230 but I know I can’t include that for livestock so after the sump volume I have 190 gallons to play with (so I’m using a 1 inch per 3 gallon rule). This list is also excluding the clean up crew. I’m open to criticism on my list!

x2 Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
X1 Yellow Tang
X1 Flame Fin (Tomini) Tang
X3 Dispar Anthias
X1 Six Line Wrasse
X1 Blue Hippo Tang
X1 Purple Tang

Total inches (all fully grown) is 65 inches. 2 inches over the 1 inch per 3 gallon rule. The goal is having a great stock of fish, but to also have “jobs” that make my life easier in the tank. Given this is a good list, should I bring down the Anthias number to 2 total, bringing me under the max length for the tank?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 inch per three gallon rule is nothing I have heard before. I'm pretty certain that it might work ok for your list and your tank. Problem will likely be a citation from the Tang police regarding the length of your tank and the lebensraum required for dem Picses?
All That Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

OP
OP
Traviitrav

Traviitrav

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 inch per three gallon rule is nothing I have heard before. I'm pretty certain that it might work ok for your list and your tank. Problem will likely be a citation from the Tang police regarding the length of your tank and the lebensraum required for dem Picses?
All That Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind
I watched a couple videos online, including live Aquaria’s, stating that rule. The tank is 72x26x24

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inch per gallon rules are ludicrous. It’s all about footprint, gallons mean nothing.

I would drop the purple tang.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the inch per gallon rule doesn’t apply to all the fish we keep. Maybe it’s more for freshwater idk. Some fish need more room than others.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted a purple tang and I got a small one. As it has grown up it has gotten more bossy with tank mates. I have tried to add an filefish recently and twice that fish disappeared. There is a pair of damsels that are breeding, and a pair of clownfish that defend their nem and between those fishes the tank doesn't have any room for new additions.

Get the fish you want and plan to keep them a long time. You have to decide which fish have priority for yourself. Then you can add those you want and maybe they will get along or maybe they won't. Availability of specimens plays into stocking, as does optimum size for your plan.

I just saw a mated pair of Banner fish for $150. I love those fish but I believe that is the first legitimate pair I have ever seen for sale. If I had seen them before my purple tang I might have settled for a mated pair of Banner fish and skipped the purple tang. That's not how they became available and my wife is fond of the purple tang so thats how it goes.

I hope this helps. It's not very straight forward but I'm getting ready to do something else....

OP
OP
Traviitrav

Traviitrav

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted a purple tang and I got a small one. As it has grown up it has gotten more bossy with tank mates. I have tried to add an filefish recently and twice that fish disappeared. There is a pair of damsels that are breeding, and a pair of clownfish that defend their nem and between those fishes the tank doesn't have any room for new additions.

Get the fish you want and plan to keep them a long time. You have to decide which fish have priority for yourself. Then you can add those you want and maybe they will get along or maybe they won't. Availability of specimens plays into stocking, as does optimum size for your plan.

I just saw a mated pair of Banner fish for $150. I love those fish but I believe that is the first legitimate pair I have ever seen for sale. If I had seen them before my purple tang I might have settled for a mated pair of Banner fish and skipped the purple tang. That's not how they became available and my wife is fond of the purple tang so thats how it goes.

I hope this helps. It's not very straight forward but I'm getting ready to do something else....
It does help! I still need to research my tangs for sure

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back