OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely working, and looking good! Not sure but your urchin may eat it. What type of urchin is it?
It is a halloween Urchin. I tossed him in the refugium that has some live rock and plenty of algae on that same day.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang starting to get his adult colors

6675782f04dc17b1156a4fe7cf5fa1c7.jpg

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9-2-18
Qt system setup 50 gallon - My dads 100 gallon came down with velvet. Someone on the local boards was selling a 48Lx18Wx14T tank. Thought perfect for a QT system. Wasn’t planning on setting it up as quickly as I did but due to my dads extensive losses decided to see if I could save a few of his fish from velvet.

Running 3 dual foam filters and a AquaClear 50 on the back. Using Cupramine copper. Currently in QT, Zebra Moray, Foxface, Marine Beta and a damsel.

I am interested to see how the CeramicPure Media does. I took 11 of them out of my sump and add them to the QT system. Hopefully, it seeds the QT tank, although I wish they had been in my sump longer. It should be an interesting experiment.
IMG_0616.JPG

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tang and nice job!

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share your thoughts on your Nyos skimmer? I have a 160 on my current tank and love it. Planning on a 380 gallon build this fall and would like to give the 300 a try. How are you liking it?

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="Adam G, post: 5127323, member: 17109"]Could you share your thoughts on your Nyos skimmer? I have a 160 on my current tank and love it. Planning on a 380 gallon build this fall and would like to give the 300 a try. How are you liking it?[/QUOTE]
I like the NYOS Skimmer, it is quiet considering it's size. Very Well polished, Seems easy enough to clean. Skim is nasty, my only complaint is it can be sensitive to chemicals in the water. If you get too many chemicals in the water this skimmer goes nuts - not completely unusual but you really have to dial it back. Then it becomes a microbubble party until all the chemical is removed. To be fair most skimmers get upset with certain chemicals. This one, in my opinion, is just ultra sensitive. I have talked to NYOS about tuning the skimmer and that helped a lot. The directions are not great that come with the skimmer. NYOS was awesome about explaining things. This thing can be fined tuned and could be played with all day long. Some etched markings on the adjustment tube would have been nice also.

The best advice I got from the company was below.
____________________________(Nyos Response)__________________________________
"Here is some general information:

-Please open the air screw fully, this maximizes the performance and reduces microbubbles and noise. Regulate the water level in the skimmer with the micro adjustment screw only.

-You can reduce the water level in the sump a bit (or place the skimmer higher), then you can close the micro adjustment screw more and so you have less microbubbles.
___________(Nyos Response)__________________________________________________END

Basically, what this means is you don't want to Mess with all the super fine tuning options. It makes it more complicated than needed. If I have to dose a chemical like Prazipro, expect it to go nuts for a week with bubbles. It is just a sensitive skimmer. But the real question really is would I buy it again? The answer is yes. Overall, I think I am going to give it an 8 out of 10. If I found some amazing deal on a Royal-Exclusive - BubbleKing skimmer then I might go that way.

I also talked with Lifereef skimmers and that guy is very passionate about venturi skimmers. He almost persuaded me to give Lifereef a shot. Big problems I had with Lifereef skimmers, is noise, space required, efficiency/electricity, and the cost. In the end, Jeff the owner was a little too aggressive for my taste (Jeff made it very clear his opinion that all other technologies are garbage and that he had extreme hate for needle wheel skimmers. He also stated that we shouldn't care if our fish tanks are quiet.) I told him that I was willing to give his product a test run on my system if he wanted to send me one to compete against NYOS 300 which at th time was suppose to be one of the best newer skimmers on the market. He declined, I guess he wasn't ready to put his money where his mouth was. Jeff actions speak for themselves and my offer still stands if he is reading this.

So I did look around, I had a Euro-reef for a long long time and was happy with it. It did burn through sedra pumps a lot and that was one of the reasons I looked at lifereef as an option. Lifereef requires lot's of height and a big pump to work.

Last edited:

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, that is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks for the thorough respone.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Update - September 17th, 2018- both Crosshatch triggers are eating. The female was eating pretty much right away. She is starting to be vocal which is awesome. The male finally ate tonight after throwing some
Clam into the aquarium. I hate it when fish have a hunger strikes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back