Will blue-throat triggerfish eat small fish?

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really considering purchasing this fish. He would be around 4 inches and is a male. On the other hand.. I recently got a biota regal angelfish that is super tiny. Size of a nickel. Is there a risk of this triggerfish eating him?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really considering purchasing this fish. He would be around 4 inches and is a male. On the other hand.. I recently got a biota regal angelfish that is super tiny. Size of a nickel. Is there a risk of this triggerfish eating him?
Yes, always a risk with triggers. Mine didnt eat small fish, but mine was very mellow. I might hold off on the trigger if your regal is that tiny, could hurt or kill him if the trigger has the typical trigger attitude

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, always a risk with triggers. Mine didnt eat small fish, but mine was very mellow. I might hold off on the trigger if your regal is that tiny, could hurt or kill him if the trigger has the typical trigger attitude
I love triggers but if I had that small of a regal I would wait until he was bigger. Very special fish and expensive to lose if the trigger decides to be a well trigger!

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love triggers but if I had that small of a regal I would wait until he was bigger. Very special fish and expensive to lose if the trigger decides to be a well trigger!
Yup I love the little guy. Still pretty shy but comes out for feeding time and is adorable.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has an adult regal that I've been humming and hawing on for the past 2 weeks (beautiful coloration and markings).
Get it! I lost my girl Annabelle in my crash and I loved her. Amazing fish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an adolescent emperor angelfish who's a bit smaller, so I've been on the fence as to whether or not the two of them would get along.
Oh. Regals are shy, not sure about that one when the emperor gets big!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also beware you cant have shrimp or crabs, will be eaten in a heartbeat. CUC is tricky with triggers!

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a blue jaw trigger bite parasema damsels in half, it was in a qt tank though, not that many hiding spots. Angels are quite spiny and not very palatable (like juvenile tangs take advantage of this and mimic their colours), so the trigger might not see it as food.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a blue jaw trigger bite parasema damsels in half, it was in a qt tank though, not that many hiding spots. Angels are quite spiny and not very palatable (like juvenile tangs take advantage of this and mimic their colours), so the trigger might not see it as food.
Yikes!! My regal was not so cheap, not worth the risk for me lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an adolescent emperor angelfish who's a bit smaller, so I've been on the fence as to whether or not the two of them would get along.
It would likely go badly, emperors can be rather cruel to other angels. However I won’t say it’s not possible as I added a 1” Majestic to my 3.5-4” regal and only a small flare occurred (it was worse when I introduced a CBA).
Oh. Regals are shy, not sure about that one when the emperor gets big!
I’ve always heard this… my regal is front and centre constantly. She is the boss of the 3 angels I have. I will say, I have 2 fairy wrasses that just love human contact and are right there when I’m looking at the tank (my Finifenmaa and Naokoae).
IMG_6491.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would likely go badly, emperors can be rather cruel to other angels. However I won’t say it’s not possible as I added a 1” Majestic to my 3.5-4” regal and only a small flare occurred (it was worse when I introduced a CBA).
He can definitely be kind of a d**k when he wants to.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve always heard this… my regal is front and centre constantly. She is the boss of the 3 angels I have. I will say, I have 2 fairy wrasses that just love human contact and are right there when I’m looking at the tank (my Finifenmaa and Naokoae).
IMG_6491.jpeg
My girl was too when I had her

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue throat triggers are quite shy and non aggressive as far as triggers go.

I've had 3 and none of them touch any inverts. It can be a bit aggressive, but nothing more than a standard tang

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Throat Trigger hasn't shown a single bit of aggressiveness in my tank. He just darts around the top part of the tank and keeps to himself. My hermits and smaller fish haven't been threatened at all.

He does aggressively hunt down food and is extremely fast, so that would be something to watch out for if you decide to get one.

Back