Diatoms or other.

Irishtimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the saltwater side. I’ve had my tank up and running for 3 months. For the last month I’ve been battling what I think are Diatoms. I was looking for confirmation that it is or is t diatoms.
D082D70B-D2CD-41C4-947F-14107B92DCB8.jpeg

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited experience, those are diatoms. Very common with new tanks, I had some about 2-3 weeks after my tank was completely cycled. If that is indeed what it is, they will go away fairly quickly in terms of reefing.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited experience, those are diatoms. Very common with new tanks, I had some about 2-3 weeks after my tank was completely cycled. If that is indeed what it is, they will go away fairly quickly in terms of reefing.
In terms of diatoms I know that there are many different species, they look a little light based on my experiences. But my best guess is still diatoms.

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I sometimes have to remind myself: patience wins this race, but your mileage will vary. Mine were gone within a couple weeks. Then you get a little bit of clarity, then the tank starts doing all kinds of nightmare things. Hah!

OP
OP
I

Irishtimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I sometimes have to remind myself: patience wins this race, but your mileage will vary. Mine were gone within a couple weeks. Then you get a little bit of clarity, then the tank starts doing all kinds of nightmare things. Hah!
Lol The tank has already been a nightmare, but I’m not quitting.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying. I just need the reassurance. Because it’s been a month and this algae isn’t going away.
what kind of clean up crew have you employed?

cerith snails would be my choice for best all around diatom eaters followed by nerites. Trochus snails are good too

OP
OP
I

Irishtimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of clean up crew have you employed?

cerith snails would be my choice for best all around diatom eaters followed by nerites. Trochus snails are good too

It’s a 45 gallon aquarium, 37x17. I have 8 blue legged hermits, 1 emerald crab, 2 nassarius snails, 2 Trochus snails. I had 2 astrea snails but they both met there demise by falling on there backs while I was at work. Should I add more snails?

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone more experienced will know for sure,, but I believe an emerald will likely starve, I don't know that they nom on diatoms, and may end up feasting on the other cuc
Not an expert here but. My guess is that emeralds don't eat diatoms, simply because they can't really grab them. Hair algae seems like it would be a good algae for it. But just my thoughts...never had an emerald crab. And also I know from others that crabs will eat snails if they are hungry.

OP
OP
I

Irishtimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert here but. My guess is that emeralds don't eat diatoms, simply because they can't really grab them. Hair algae seems like it would be a good algae for it. But just my thoughts...never had an emerald crab. And also I know from others that crabs will eat snails if they are hungry.
Yeah he definitely doesn’t eat diatoms in my tank. He does do a great job cleaning up any leftovers my fish don’t get to.

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the rocks one by one. Take them to the sink and do a fresh water rinse and take a scrub brush and lightly give them a rub down. Let sit on a towel for a few min. Replace in tank. Do a 30% water change. And vacuum sand bed. Place a mesh bag of Phosgaurd in the sump in a high flow area. you can also put in a nitrate reducing pad in the flow path of the sump as well. Problem solved. I had the same problem. I killed the lights and all the other things I had read and no help. Did what I just listed and the next morning problem gone. Hope this helps. It’s a sign that your silicates are high. And as the diatoms die they create more silicates and the cycle goes on. The Phosguard also removes silicates. Which is food for diatoms. So the water change and vacuum and rock rinse removes the majority and the Phosgaurd removes the rest starving them out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back