Dinos

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone suggested raising no3 and po4 to detectable level? IMO that’s the first thing to do. You need to have a source of food for the good bacteria to re establish and defeat the dinoflagellates

have you got a quarantine thank at hand for livestock? This specie can kill fish too not just invertebrates. Avoid getting your hands in the tank they are quite dangerous to humans to.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone suggested raising no3 and po4 to detectable level? IMO that’s the first thing to do. You need to have a source of food for the good bacteria to re establish and defeat the dinoflagellates

have you got a quarantine thank at hand for livestock? This specie can kill fish too not just invertebrates. Avoid getting your hands in the tank they are quite dangerous to humans to.
Yes we have multiple time but always a good reminder

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we have multiple time but always a good reminder
How about temperature, this dinoflagellates bloom commonly in summer wend the sea temperature is higher, there’s noting to lose by dropping it slowly to 73/75

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quality UV is very helpful, but they are not cheap. I'd save up for one. In the mean time, I introduce the poor man's UV:

Clamp a bunch of filter floss all over the glass, in high light and flow areas. Remove and rinse every evening before the lights go down. Ostreopsis love this surface area.

Also:
- dose up with food grade sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate. Mix your own; it is cheap. Be sure to get REAL trisodium phosphate and not TSP substitutes.
- No amino acids. Ever. Again.

IMG-4227.jpg
Even though I had a UV filter I decided to use this, but ramped it up. I filled available areas front to back with loose filter floss. I think it's what finally finished them off within a few days. Thanks for the idea!

1641573303098.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I had a UV filter I decided to use this, but ramped it up. I filled available areas front to back with loose filter floss. I think it's what finally finished them off within a few days. Thanks for the idea!

1641573303098.png
Nice!

Dinos love sterile spaces to attach to.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back