Hardiest torches?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have been interested in getting myself another torch for my mixed biocube. I am a bit worried because I lost a torch before but I have narrowed down my potential causes. I think I was using pretty nasty water from my LFS as well as using premade saltwater (RS Coral Pro). I read on BRS that coral pro specifically drops in alk when it is stored so I think after a water change, my alk took a dump.

Since then, I have switched to a lower alk salt (Reef Crystals) and have been dosing so I can maintain levels better instead of using water changes to replenish elements and alk. I think I am ready for another torch.

I was wondering if there's any trick to torches beyond their typical care requirements. I know certain corals have different morphs or regions that are easier than others. I have heard that gold torches are less hardy than greens. I have also heard that Indos are more hardy than Aussies.

The guy who I am seeking a torch from has been growing the heads off of mother colonies in his tanks for five years so any specimen I get should be generations deep into aquaculture which I assume exponentially increases the hardiness.

I am thinking I will take one of his indo golds at $150USD, it has three heads, looks beautiful, and has a fleshy skeleton. Is this a good deal and should I be worried about killing it? This would be the most I have ever spent on a coral.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sub'd to hear any expert advice. I lost 1 torch early on for an unknown reason and I've had a Frog Spawn for 6 months that's alive but with drew for no reason I can see and hasn't come back out as it should regardless of what I've done for it.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sub'd to hear any expert advice. I lost 1 torch early on for an unknown reason and I've had a Frog Spawn for 6 months that's alive but with drew for no reason I can see and hasn't come back out as it should regardless of what I've done for it.
I have always had unfortunate luck with any euph but I really think the reason is not having an absolutely pristine tank coupled with the coral being wild or maricultured. I honestly believe that most people run into those issues when they are snagging coral off a new shipment at the LFS or ordering a specimen with unknown origins.

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have been interested in getting myself another torch for my mixed biocube. I am a bit worried because I lost a torch before but I have narrowed down my potential causes. I think I was using pretty nasty water from my LFS as well as using premade saltwater (RS Coral Pro). I read on BRS that coral pro specifically drops in alk when it is stored so I think after a water change, my alk took a dump.

Since then, I have switched to a lower alk salt (Reef Crystals) and have been dosing so I can maintain levels better instead of using water changes to replenish elements and alk. I think I am ready for another torch.

I was wondering if there's any trick to torches beyond their typical care requirements. I know certain corals have different morphs or regions that are easier than others. I have heard that gold torches are less hardy than greens. I have also heard that Indos are more hardy than Aussies.

The guy who I am seeking a torch from has been growing the heads off of mother colonies in his tanks for five years so any specimen I get should be generations deep into aquaculture which I assume exponentially increases the hardiness.

I am thinking I will take one of his indo golds at $150USD, it has three heads, looks beautiful, and has a fleshy skeleton. Is this a good deal and should I be worried about killing it? This would be the most I have ever spent on a coral.
That’s a good deal on that. Just keep your numbers stable an you should be golden as well as dial in your flow don’t blast them they really like a mixed light to medium flow with an occasional small blast

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had unfortunate luck with any euph but I really think the reason is not having an absolutely pristine tank coupled with the coral being wild or maricultured. I honestly believe that most people run into those issues when they are snagging coral off a new shipment at the LFS or ordering a specimen with unknown origins.
As well as water test twice a week atleast. Swings can happen fast especially in a tank like a bio cube

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good deal on that. Just keep your numbers stable an you should be golden as well as dial in your flow don’t blast them they really like a mixed light to medium flow with an occasional small blast
i need to invest in a controllable powerhead or honestly just perhaps have it cycle on and off. The way my flow is set up, i have a maxijet 1200 return and a hydor koralia nano on the otherside (overflow) that pushes water the other way so there's like a meet up point in the middle of the tank with flow that favors the return side. Everything seems happy with my lights (kessil a160) at 50% for 10 hours a day. This includes my acro, zoas, toadstools, acans, blastos, duncans, RFAs, and sinularias.

One thing I am slightly worried about is flatworms. I see them occasionally on the glass. They are tiny and brown. I am considering a six line to take care of them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hellfire has shown to be somewhat easy so far. Albeit it’s only day 1 of being in the tank, most other torches I have had rarely open to even 50% of their max PE within the first two days. This guy has thrown out even more PE than he had in the shop.
B6775202-308B-4742-B1BF-701360A0830F.jpeg

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need to invest in a controllable powerhead or honestly just perhaps have it cycle on and off. The way my flow is set up, i have a maxijet 1200 return and a hydor koralia nano on the otherside (overflow) that pushes water the other way so there's like a meet up point in the middle of the tank with flow that favors the return side. Everything seems happy with my lights (kessil a160) at 50% for 10 hours a day. This includes my acro, zoas, toadstools, acans, blastos, duncans, RFAs, and sinularias.

One thing I am slightly worried about is flatworms. I see them occasionally on the glass. They are tiny and brown. I am considering a six line to take care of them.
Take care of the flatworms before you buy any euphilia

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardiest torch I own is a variety of indo gold (sold under the name "dragon soul." It was one of my first corals and has grown from one head to over 50 (before multiple fragging) over the last 3ish years. It survived even when I lost other torches. I would guess that this would apply to any torch that has been in captivity long term. Torches straight out of the ocean seem to be more dedicate. In addition, indo torches seem to be a little healthier than Aussie torches.

In my experience, torches do the best with stability. They'll do better without alk swings/calcium swings/magnesisum swings/etc. They prefer slightly dirtier tanks in my experience (phosphate between .09-.19 and detectable nitrates).

They also really need to be glued and left alone. Falling off stuff, getting knocked over by snails, and/or laying in the sand bed seems to be really bad for them. My torches started doing the best when I glued them to the rock and never touched them again.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the plan. i am getting a six line tomorrow. hopefully i see the population drop.
I’d avoid a sixline, you’ll regret it in the future as they’re violent and well… ‘Satan’ Wrasse is a better name because of that.
If your tank is 3’ or longer go for a Halichoeres species - Halichoeres leucoxanthus is the best for general eradication IME but all of the guys in that genus will eat flatties (some will prefer them more than other pests but others prefer other hitchhikers to flatties).

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d avoid a sixline, you’ll regret it in the future as they’re violent and well… ‘Satan’ Wrasse is a better name because of that.
If your tank is 3’ or longer go for a Halichoeres species - Halichoeres leucoxanthus is the best for general eradication IME but all of the guys in that genus will eat flatties (some will prefer them more than other pests but others prefer other hitchhikers to flatties).
the issue is that it’s a 29g biocube. i have two clowns and a firefish already. heard of people putting more than 3 fish in them but I like the balance I have right now. The firefish is usually hiding and the clowns can probably hold their own against a six line but if they’re really that bad, I will pass. Perhaps a possum wrasse? If anything a possume wrasse will probably thrive better in a system that has flat worms. Heard they can be picky eaters.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the issue is that it’s a 29g biocube. i have two clowns and a firefish already. heard of people putting more than 3 fish in them but I like the balance I have right now. The firefish is usually hiding and the clowns can probably hold their own against a six line but if they’re really that bad, I will pass. Perhaps a possum wrasse? If anything a possume wrasse will probably thrive better in a system that has flat worms. Heard they can be picky eaters.
Possum wrasses can be picky eaters, I’d personally go for a Pink Streak Wrasse as they’re better at removal of pests. The other thing you can do is removal by hand.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasses can be picky eaters, I’d personally go for a Pink Streak Wrasse as they’re better at removal of pests. The other thing you can do is removal by hand.
i could never find one at a decent price. Theres one on divers den that would be over $200 after shipping... I would rather remove by hand at that point or get a six line and keep it until i swap to my 75 gallon and get a melanarus and/or coris for that. I wont be using any of my old rock for that tank though. Going to start fresh and dip my corals while moving them over.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could never find one at a decent price. Theres one on divers den that would be over $200 after shipping... I would rather remove by hand at that point or get a six line and keep it until i swap to my 75 gallon and get a melanarus and/or coris for that. I wont be using any of my old rock for that tank though. Going to start fresh and dip my corals while moving them over.
Are you planning on upgrading soon? You could get a juvenile melanarus or Coris.

Six lines can be mean for sure!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back