Hopefully not a stupid question

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I venture out to home depot and start buying things, I wanted to ask here and see if there is a simpler solution to connect from PVC to my return pump. I recently acquired a 75G reef tank pre drilled and plumbed for reef, in an effort to plunge into reef-keeping. All of my experience is in freshwater, I am still learning about the saltwater side of the hobby, so I apologize if this seems like a stupid question.
I bought a used mag 9 pump to use as return from the sump. My question is, how do I connect the pump to PVC without making it permanent and hard to maneuver. If I use a female PVC plug the rest of the way, connecting the pre-existing PVC to pump, will I be able to make sure the pump sits on the bottom of the tank, and be able to move it if I need?
or can I go flexible hose and connect it with a hose clamp to the threaded part, of both the PVC and pump, will that be leak proof?
looking for any and all ideas...

I am planning to simply use the sump for skimmer, heater and return pump at the moment with frew live rocks, I will worry about room for dosing and other stuff later, so essentially my plumbing needs are to connect return pump to the tank and connect the drain to filter sock.

how do I control the return to match the drain so the water level in the sump is maintained steady?

20170822_191547.jpg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a threaded hose barb on the pump and pvc and tubing between. Cuts back on noise as well as allows a bit of flexibility.

Edit: also, the return and drain will always match as long as the pump isn't putting more flow than the drain can handle. It can only return what's sent up. If you need to dial back the return flow, a gate valve is the best solution.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, where can I buy threaded hose barb that's not metal, home depot doesn't seem to have them.

Bluhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have room think about a valve for changing out pump and back-flow restriction

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have room think about a valve for changing out pump and back-flow restriction
I don't think I have much room, but I was thinking along the same lines, wanted to add a check valve to stop back flow and something to control the return so I can match the drain to return. I am still not sure how people are dialing in the drain to match return, is it just trial and error and seeing what works best or is there a method to this madness of reef-keeping. :)

Bluhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personalty dont like check valves the flapper breaks all the time I always get calls on sump repairs for basements, my drain is 1 1/2 and supply is 1 in, I think its better to have more leave than go in and i have valves at both ends just to adjust

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personalty dont like check valves the flapper breaks all the time I always get calls on sump repairs for basements, my drain is 1 1/2 and supply is 1 in, I think its better to have more leave than go in and i have valves at both ends just to adjust
my tank is plumbed the same way, 1" going in and 1 1/2" coming out, i will just have valves then.

Bluhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once i figure out the pc and forum tricks hope to get pics and bio thread going lol always an adventure :)

Back