Potter's Go Bye-Bye

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it happened. The optimists said it wouldn't. The pessimists said it would. The "the-glass-is-twice-as-big-as-it-needs-to-be"....s said it was just a matter of time.

He started nipping.

Received my shipment from AcanLord's live sale and the Potter's Angel saw a new buffet.

Here's the last picture (and not even a good one as he jumped towards the flash) of "RJ" that my wife named when we saw him in the tank at the LFS - post trade in - in an effort to make me feel guilty. It didn't work considering how great my corals are doing after getting rid of him.

20171030_205013-jpg.609878

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. The one I had never bothered coral, but eh hit or mis.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. The one I had never bothered coral, but eh hit or mis.

Yup. Hit for a year, and then a huge miss. Talking with a few people at the LFS while I was trading him in, it's fairly common for the switch to click on to devour once new corals are introduced. One said they've even seen it where the fish will only go after the new corals.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only have one branching SPS, but best PE I've seen in months.
My Potters moves around so quick I can't tell what he's nipping. I know he liked digitata and a encrusting monti which I've taken out. I'm thinking I might remove him though as I'm more into sps.

How did you catch your's

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Potters moves around so quick I can't tell what he's nipping. I know he liked digitata and a encrusting monti which I've taken out. I'm thinking I might remove him though as I'm more into sps.

How did you catch your's

Hahahahahaha.

Funny story.....

2017-11-09 12_34_50-Adam Nognem (@lbulletm) • Instagram photos and videos.png

2017-11-09 12_35_22-Adam Nognem (@lbulletm) • Instagram photos and videos.png

2017-11-09 12_35_52-Adam Nognem (@lbulletm) • Instagram photos and videos.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view on dwarf angels is 'given enough time, and opportunity, they will all nip'. If you have one that doesn't nip, you just haven't waited long enough LOL

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view on dwarf angels is 'given enough time, and opportunity, they will all nip'. If you have one that doesn't nip, you just haven't waited long enough LOL

And there's the "the glass is twice as big as it needs to be" realist. :p

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I discovered a long time ago that acans and dwarf angels are incompatible ...... I just like the angels way better.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for probably 3 years. He only nipped my duncans enough to annoy it so i moved the duncan. One day he started on acros. I made a separate tank just for him but after a year i didnt want to keep taking care of 2 tank so I rehomed him. That was tough because he was a great fish. And I felt good that i had a fat happy potters for a long while.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two Lamarck's angels and a Watanabe angel that are deep water angels and "reef safe" that I had to get rid of. I even had a sailfin tang start nipping my corals and got rid of it.
All LPS though, no SPS.
I am done with angels.
Crazy fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about your sps though?

Were you asking me? If so, Angels and SPS coexist find for me. Perhaps not quit as much polyp extension in the display as I see in the frag tank, but it grows just fine. Currently have three dwarf and one regal angel.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were you asking me? If so, Angels and SPS coexist find for me. Perhaps not quit as much polyp extension in the display as I see in the frag tank, but it grows just fine. Currently have three dwarf and one regal angel.
Nice fish. I pulled my Potters Angel out I'm more of a CoralNerd and didn't like corals getting nipped on.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fish. I pulled my Potters Angel out I'm more of a CoralNerd and didn't like corals getting nipped on.

Yup! Loved the fish, but love my corals more. Plenty of other beautiful fish in the sea ;)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two Lamarck's angels and a Watanabe angel that are deep water angels and "reef safe" that I had to get rid of

Really? Due to coral munching, or something else?

Bellus Angel has been a winner for me...zero issues.

Great!

I'm planning to add a pair of Genicanthus angels of some sort. Honestly, I like the Lamarck's best. Bellus are probably my 2nd choice.

I've never heard of Genicanthus sp. picking at corals. I'm certainly going to be trying it, anyway. I've had Spotbreast angels before. They were problem free, but a long time ago, and most of my corals were soft corals, a few LPS.

I'll never do any angels _other_ than Genicanthus, for certain. Not doing any Hawkfish any more, either. I like my shrimp, thanks. My wife picked a flame hawk at the shop, didn't think he was big enough to do much damage. He killed all 4 of my shrimp in the first week. Had to drain the tank to catch him. Live and learn!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I've had to catch and re-home due to coral eating was a pearlscale butterflyfish. It really sucked to see him go, but he ate my entire basketball sized frogspawn coral! He was a really beautiful fish with a great temperament, but that sort of behavior just wasn't going to fly with me! haha

I have a Potter's now... have had him for several years. He's a model citizen *knock on wood.*
I do think he may have eaten my xenia forest, but I never actually saw him eating the coral, only know it all mysteriously disappeared after I got him. I can live without the xenia lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back