Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. Every other product on the market that tests Alk only costs more. Our goal was to bring more value. And we have. Even in the scientific instrument community I know of no such device that does three elements like this - ongoing and automatic. The model from Hach for alkalinity only costs $13k.

I know it may seem hard to believe or understand, but for the functionality our Apex and then also the Trident provide, it is a tremendous value compared to other devices in different markets.

For instance, Hanna makes a pool monitor that measures ORP and pH and temp and has two dosing pumps. Essentially less features than an Apex base unit + DOS (no app, no WiFi, no real expansion capabilities, no switch inputs, etc) and its $1000. Apex Base and DOS is $700.

I know the hobby is expensive, but the market is way smaller than swimming pools and the R&D is super costly just the same.
This makes sense - do you have an estimate of the yearly cost of reagents at the recommended rate - and the calibration costs (if any)? Thanks

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Every other product on the market that tests Alk only costs more. Our goal was to bring more value. And we have. Even in the scientific instrument community I know of no such device that does three elements like this - ongoing and automatic. The model from Hach for alkalinity only costs $13k.

I know it may seem hard to believe or understand, but for the functionality our Apex and then also the Trident provide, it is a tremendous value compared to other devices in different markets.

For instance, Hanna makes a pool monitor that measures ORP and pH and temp and has two dosing pumps. Essentially less features than an Apex base unit + DOS (no app, no WiFi, no real expansion capabilities, no switch inputs, etc) and its $1000. Apex Base and DOS is $700.

I know the hobby is expensive, but the market is way smaller than swimming pools and the R&D is super costly just the same.

My Apex is worth every penny and can't wait for the Trident to add-on!

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't wait till this comes out for my 500 gallon Tank.i have the alktronic but while trying to download the firmware i somehow did something wrong ( i am not a windows person) so now i am not using it. i will buy one of these sounds like easy operation
I doubt that you bricked it, won't they help you fix it?

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that you bricked it, won't they help you fix it?
No i did not brick it i am not a windows guy i have no idea how to really download firmware to a load to my laptop and then transfer it over to the Alktronic i tried and did something wrong because now the unit wants me to restart it but once i do it just gives me the same message. i actually offered anyone to co on my laptop via team viewer and download the firmware and then transfer it over to the alktronic via the cable they give you but had no takers. if it was apple compatible i would have no problem at all

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this cant be answered because of NDA but im curious how they are able to test Ca and MG with Just one reagent bottle. Most test kits use 3 plus reagents/indicators for Ca and Mg is at a minimum 2 for Titration

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i did not brick it i am not a windows guy i have no idea how to really download firmware to a load to my laptop and then transfer it over to the Alktronic i tried and did something wrong because now the unit wants me to restart it but once i do it just gives me the same message. i actually offered anyone to co on my laptop via team viewer and download the firmware and then transfer it over to the alktronic via the cable they give you but had no takers. if it was apple compatible i would have no problem at all
I am a windows guy.

PM me. Maybe I can help.

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may have missed this but how long do you expect to beta test before release? and does the unit have multiple outputs for daisy chaining equipment like your other products?

thanks
We have no information on your first question. I'm sure there are many factors that will effect that decision and they won't be decided by anyone on the NSI team.

Your second question I can answer with there are two Aquabus ports on the back like most other Apex equipment and a 1Link connector. So there is daisy chaining with aquabus. Is that what you mean?

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this cant be answered because of NDA but im curious how they are able to test Ca and MG with Just one reagent bottle. Most test kits use 3 plus reagents/indicators for Ca and Mg is at a minimum 2 for Titration
Where did you get the idea that it's one reagent? Even the demo units at MACNA and other shows have 3 bottles in the tray. Was there some new announcement that I missed?

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 Different regent bottles for sure!!!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the idea that it's one reagent? Even the demo units at MACNA and other shows have 3 bottles in the tray. Was there some new announcement that I missed?

I think he meant that each reagent is for each test

1 for calcium
1 for alkalinity
1 for magnesium

His point is that all other test for magnesium require more than 2 reagents

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the same reagents can be used to test different things? I know my Red Sea test kit uses the same reagents to test both Nitrite and Nitrate at different doses. I’m no chemist though.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell us how there handling water replacement based on test frequency?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell us how there handling water replacement based on test frequency?
The trident only removes about 50-70ml a day under normal operation (4 alk tests, 2 Ca, 2 Mg) - basically like a skimmer. There is nothing that puts more saltwater back into the tank. Most other devices that only do alkalinity use between 60-150ml per test cycle.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trident only removes about 50-70ml a day under normal operation (4 alk tests, 2 Ca, 2 Mg) - basically like a skimmer. There is nothing that puts more saltwater back into the tank. Most other devices that only do alkalinity use between 60-150ml per test cycle.

This is great. And for those of us using DOS for AWC can easily program a few extra ml every day.

Don

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except some of the other devices that just do alkalinity can put their waste product right back into the tank :)

That's 0 loss, tiny gain from the reagent added during the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back